6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Stop Safely Now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdslider
Golf medik. No it isn't just ford. Many other vehicle lines are battling same issues.

In my area all have dropped fords in ambulance. All Dodge. So we will see how this works after awhile.
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I am with HDslider .I see lots of issues with GM sensors failing . Regin failure ect. The only thing I see different , limp mode . Just had a GM in last week . Failed sensor , no regin , but was in "limp mode " Drove to my shop . Replaced sensor , forced regin with my Modis ( crazy temps ) he drove away happy ? ! He just bought the truck used , going home . See EGT sensor issues often . Also see VGT issues on INT trucks often . They are not as cheep to fix !
Sorry, I haven' t been around many Dmax's lately, but going into 'limp mode" would be damn site better than shutting down the truck. You can't just drive it out a 'bad section' of town to shut is down, or get down off of the mountain as it doesn't give that choice. It just shuts down. I have had to try to explain to a patient that we have had mechanical problems with a truck, while he is sitting there and you are watching him have a heart attack on the cardiac monitor. It is no fun! But how about one of you wives, girlfriends etc, driving your truck somewhere and it strands them in the middle of a place they had rather not be. We all have sections of our towns/cities like this, and yes we have to go near or through them. It is just ridiculous to have a problem like this with no way to get the truck to move and get to a 'safe' place.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 AM
bdeer26
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Happy

I have had this problem 3 times (1st 6 months ago) and now twice within one week. This time the truck left me set and after waiting 3 hours for a tow from Ford was taken to the dealer. They said it was a sensor in the exhaust system, but didn't know which one. Five days later they replaced one of the sensors. Then 3 days later the truck left me set again this time on the interstate. Again after a 2 1/2 hour wait for a Ford tow the truck is back at the dealer. Is there a way to bypass these sensors because I can not trust this truck? I am not happy with this truck at all, and after owning a lot of Fords this may be my last and will be for sale soon.
2011 F-250 6.7 w/25000

Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE.

Sorry your first post wasn't a happy one. But, then, that is why a lot of folks come to forums.

Your problem has been circulating around for a while. There are several threads about the exhaust temperature sensors being bad. The sensors are available on-line and appear to be pretty simple to replace. Some folks are keeping them in their trucks to replace as needed.

To answer your question; Yes, there is a way to bypass the sensors. Tuners are available that will allow you to swap out the exhaust system and reprogram the trucks' computer.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:26 PM
jim48
Elder User
Hi Ron, 7 degrees here in Kansas today and it's raining ice??? I did have the Road King and Valkyrie out two weeks ago though. I hope you and the wife are AOK................

23,000 on my 2011 "Chassis Cab". I know there are differences in the emissions of the cc's and non-cc's. I've tried using VIN with the part number and it doesn't work.

Anyone happen to know if it's the same sensor number?????

Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
For those who got a spare, what's the full part number or does it vary? I've seen AC3Z-5J213-B but also seen the last letter being an A.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
For those who got a spare, what's the full part number or does it vary? I've seen AC3Z-5J213-B but also seen the last letter being an A.
For the 6.7s
Name:  IMG_20131104_111610_zps422e6365.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  115.0 KB

Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jim48
Hi Ron, 7 degrees here in Kansas today and it's raining ice??? I did have the Road King and Valkyrie out two weeks ago though. I hope you and the wife are AOK................

23,000 on my 2011 "Chassis Cab". I know there are differences in the emissions of the cc's and non-cc's. I've tried using VIN with the part number and it doesn't work.

Anyone happen to know if it's the same sensor number?????

Hi Jim! Been thinkin about ya. Wondering how you are surviving winter.

I don't know if the chassis cab and the pickup style use the same sensors or not. Part of me thinks they would.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
jim48
Elder User
Hi Ron. It's been a really weird winter in Kansas. We've either had snow/ice and bitter cold or 50-60 degrees.

We just got back from taking our extended family to Walt Disney World for a week. I walked out of the airport at Orlando, and realized I made a mistake bringing any long sleeve shirts.

Then came back to Kansas, walked out of the airport at Wichita and had to dig the truck out of the ice and snow. We had a great time, but spent a ton of money. Oh well it's only money and the memories will last forever.

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Well, guess I better call the dealer and get a couple of extra sensors. It seems like a simple problem to fix if you are prepared. Better safe than sorry I guess......

Jim

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
OK, so I tried Andre's method and my truck can read it's own codes. That being the case, if I had a spare sensor and a 13mm I'd be good if I knew which code related to which sensor. Does anyone have a list of which code is which sensor. I'd rather have it printed out and in the glove than hoping I have data on my phone to look it up if I get stuck.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
_MP_
New User
I registered to say thanks for all the great information in this thread. I had the ‘Stop Safely Now’ message last weekend just as I pulled away from the pump. Thankfully it was in my hometown, and had to be towed literally next door from the Sheetz to the Ford dealership.
Thankfully have the extended warranty, and this saved me when I experienced the ‘Ford Death Wobble’, which they fixed. Now I have the sensor failings, which they will replace. HOWEVER, they are telling me that they are on backorder, and I won’t have the parts until mid October, WTF!

This sounds like a scheme (by Ford)to get folks to purchase them elsewhere. They told me I need this part:
Ac3z-5j213-b, and they have always been a great help at the local dealership.

I want to replace all four of the sensors, I am assuming they are all the same part number for my 2011 F350 Lariat crew cab?
Again thanks for all the advice over the past 5 pages, and yes I still love my truck. (I had a sport trac previously lol)

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
WELCOME!!! Yes, all of the sensor locations have the same sensor and part number.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
W7PSK
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
EPA = Environazi protection agency.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:34 PM
_MP_
New User

Because of the time delay to get a set of sensors from my dealership I have been scouring the web to buy some. I managed to get my hands on one new sensor today (Ac3z-5j213-b), and I also purchased a Actron Auto Scanner.

The codes from the scanner are as follows:

P200C Diesel particulate filter over Temp Bank 1

P200E Catalyst system over Temp Bank 1

P2479 Bank 1 Sensor 2 - Is this EGT 12?

Could someone translate what this is telling me, and how might I fix it, and if it can be fixed with one new sensor. Also I have been looking on google for a good sensor location diagram for the 6.7

EDIT: Found the sensor diagram on this sight.

TVM

Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Originally Posted by _MP_
I registered to say thanks for all the great information in this thread. I had the ‘Stop Safely Now’ message last weekend just as I pulled away from the pump. Thankfully it was in my hometown, and had to be towed literally next door from the Sheetz to the Ford dealership.
Thankfully have the extended warranty, and this saved me when I experienced the ‘Ford Death Wobble’, which they fixed. Now I have the sensor failings, which they will replace. HOWEVER, they are telling me that they are on backorder, and I won’t have the parts until mid October, WTF!

This sounds like a scheme (by Ford)to get folks to purchase them elsewhere. They told me I need this part:
Ac3z-5j213-b, and they have always been a great help at the local dealership.

I want to replace all four of the sensors, I am assuming they are all the same part number for my 2011 F350 Lariat crew cab?
Again thanks for all the advice over the past 5 pages, and yes I still love my truck. (I had a sport trac previously lol)
Happy to hear you were able to find and buy a sensor - I keep 2 extras in my truck with the scanner. I might say it is highly unlikely you would need to change out all sensors. I had one go out on my 2011 F250 and the same for my brother in laws 2011 F350. We bought both trucks in 2010. No doubt however, its a good plan to have one or two extras sensors in the truck.

If you would please, I have a question about your "death wobble". What did Ford actually do to fix the problem? I ask because they did little to correct mine. Fortunately, when I changed out my worn 20" Michelin A/Ts for Michelin M/S tires this past February, the wobble disappeared. Didn't really need A/Ts and the M/S tires seem to provide a more confortable ride.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 AM
_MP_
New User
Originally Posted by Str8shooter
If you would please, I have a question about your "death wobble". What did Ford actually do to fix the problem? I ask because they did little to correct mine. Fortunately, when I changed out my worn 20" Michelin A/Ts for Michelin M/S tires this past February, the wobble disappeared. Didn't really need A/Ts and the M/S tires seem to provide a more confortable ride.

My truck was a repossession with only 20k miles on it. Shortly after getting it, I drove over an expansion joint on a bridge doing 65mph, that's when it struck.
Turns out the steering dampener needed to be replaced, and the tie rods were loose! They replaced the rods and the dampener, and realigned the tires; they also replaced the wheel weights.
I went over the same expansion joint shortly after the repairs doing 80mph (just to be sure), and it was fine. I put a new set of Michelins on there recently, and so far still no wobble.

EDIT: I just found the pdf posted by Darren on another thread showing a great image of the exhaust system, and sensor locations. I managed to get my hands on another sensor ($48) from another dealership, and I am about to go swap it out.

Quick Reply: Stop Safely Now!