1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Why is it impossible to fill my truck with fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Luch
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is it impossible to fill my truck with fuel???

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Does anyone else have issues with filling their truck (with side tanks) and the pump constantly stopping, fuel coming up and washing side of truck, pumping fuel real slow? It was driving me crazy; I am so use to the set up the pump and let it fill ‘mode’.
My 1976 has the big fill tubes I am guessing from the leaded days but I wondered of the bends in the metal portion of the fill tube are curved in such a way to make my gas station trips suck? Another issue is I can’t even push the fuel nozzle in all the way as that has a curve also!

There has got to be some sort of method here…????
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
What works for me is to invert the nozzle while filling.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My '79 (smaller filler opening for unleaded) developed this problem out of nowhere several years ago. I dropped the tank and found absolutely no obstruction or kinks in neither the filler nor vent hoses. Reinstalling the tank with a new set of hoses cured about 80% of the problem. Clamping the two together (similar to how they came taped at the factor) cured the issue completely. I never truly understood what happened.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also helps to park with the filler on the uphill side if there is a slope at the station.
Then just fool around till you find the right angle. Mine is usually with the handle toward the front of the truck.
Some of the guys have used zip ties to round out the filler after removing the metal frame guard. However one must be careful. There's a reason that guard is there.
Also some pump handles fit better than others. If you find such a place, take note.
I'm planning on surgery on my frame when I take my bed off.
Until then, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fmc400
My '79 (smaller filler opening for unleaded) developed this problem out of nowhere several years ago.
I was answering at the same time as you.
That's weird that it just started outta the blue.
Did your station change their gear?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
damarble
Elder User
I'm having the same thing happen with all my rigs, I'm wondering if fuel stations have been updating the nozzles. 90 7.3, a 91 Explorer, a 99 Grand Marquis, all have to be babied to get any fuel in them and forget topping off because you never know when it's full till it's spilling out.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
77blue
Junior User
You should check the large rubber hose that connects the fill pipe to the tank. That hose pinches down pretty close where it passes between the bottom of the bed and the frame. If it got pinched too tight it would'nt let gas flow into the tank backing up out the fill pipe. My truck, a 77 has a seperate smaller hose maybe 3/4 inch? to help vent air out of the tank when filling. Not sure if yours has that hose. These California gas pumps can be hard to use though.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by damarble
you never know when it's full till it's spilling out.
And at today's prices that's my dinner on the ground.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 77blue
My truck, a 77 has a seperate smaller hose maybe 3/4 inch? to help vent air out of the tank when filling. Not sure if yours has that hose.
So does my 74 as well as a vent out the top of the tank for the vapor return. It still sucks.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our trucks may be part of the problem but not all of it. My brother was a manager of a large gas station for about 30 years and he said it has to do with the nozzles they have to use now. They are not made like the old ones were and trip off more easy . I had some 79s a few years back and never had much problem but my 73 is real hard to fill . I don't let it fill unless i am holding the handle to control the speed. Accept when i travel through Oregon, not allowed to fill your own car there , attendants only.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jim collins
Accept when i travel though Oregon, not allowed to fill your own car there , attendants only.
Talk about a nanny state that law would never fly here.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Talk about a nanny state that law would never fly here.

It would if your state Government changed it the way Oregon did. It was not the fuel station owners that did it but they may have helped make it State law. I live just out of Oregon , 2 miles inside Idaho , so i don't buy fuel there accept when I have to cross their state to get to Washington. Then I have to fuel up 1 time each way.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Luch
Senior User
Wow, thanks for the replies...glad I am not the only one that has to deal with this although I wish none of us did. I was at a BP station down the street from me; they are a little newer but I am not sure on the nozzle; although something newer that would have something to do with cleaning up vapors or that the EPA had their hand in would explain the problem. I got some good ideas, I will try the upside down thing as well as another gas station all together. I also have to drop the aft tank to replace the sending unit and I will look at replacing the rubber lines...and try to zip tie to change their shape. Clamping together...although that seems strange I will do it - especially if it fixed the problem! My truck is from California...after seeing all the differences in gas lines, emissions, tank configurations....and freakin gas caps; I don't think I understand anything anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
As long as you're going to be replacing the rubber lines, be sure you at least send some air down thhe hard ones to clean any mobile gunk out. Gets pretty nasty in there after this long.
And clean your tank since its coming out. The old pickup filters break apart and float around in there.
Have fun.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Luch
Senior User
That's a good idea...I will do that with compressed air.
Just slosh some gasoline around and empty to clean tank?

Wish I did this on a 72 Fury I had that broke down on the way to California...years back when I thought I could replace the leaking tank with one from a junkyard and not clean anything! Dumb!

Quick Reply: Why is it impossible to fill my truck with fuel???