Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2002 Escape XLT Wheel Bearing-like Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
YellowXLT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Escape XLT Wheel Bearing-like Noise...

I've had a lot of wheel bearing noise in the front end over the last few weeks that was getting a lot worse lately. The noise seemed to get worse (more grinding) around left turns, so I figured that it must be the passenger side bearing. Especially since I had the drivers side bearing changed 8 months ago.

Well, I just picked up the car after having the passenger side bearing replaced, and it still sounds like there's a bad bearing up there. The mechanic (someone I know personally) saved the old bearing and race, and confirmed that it was bad all right. He suggested that the drivers side bearing could be going already, but also that he took the knuckle off the car and spun the bearing by hand and couldn't feel anything wrong with it. That could change tomorrow, for all anyone knows, though. There is still a dry-rolling-bearing sound, but no more grinding around left turns. Turning one way or the other doesn't seem to change the noise any.

So if we assume that both front wheel bearings are fine, what else on these cars would make that kind of noise? What should I check?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IS yours awd.I replaces both shafts on the pass side and still had same noise.Pulled the rear drive shafts and its all quite now.I replaced my wheel bearings a few yours ago and within 6 months one went bad.Replaced them both with Moog bearings a few years ago.The one that went bad was from Car Quest.Got a new centersupport bearing for the driveshaft just need to install it now.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
YellowXLT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, AWD/4WD. Are you saying that removing the rear cv drive axles made the noise stop? Was the noise coming from your transfer case then?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
I removed the rear driveshafts and the noise is gone on mine.I put a new center support bearing and 2 u-joints on mine. Have Not put it back in yet I was told by a transmission guy that the center support bearing goes out and its makes all sorts of noises.On mine the noise never changed if the road was wet dry or asphalt or cement.It sounded like a indy car exhaust

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Mine is fixed put the drive shafts back in and its quiet.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
I removed the rear driveshafts and the noise is gone on mine.I put a new center support bearing and 2 u-joints on mine. Have Not put it back in yet I was told by a transmission guy that the center support bearing goes out and its makes all sorts of noises.On mine the noise never changed if the road was wet dry or asphalt or cement.It sounded like a indy car exhaust
Yeah, it would as the driveshaft always rotates.