Head Job? Anyone Do Their Own R/R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll get both those codes if the MAF connector is disconnected. It connects together right behind the air cleaner housing, on the brace that the air cleaner mounts to.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:54 AM
Grashopr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, the codes that I told you before were being generated by a bolt that holds down the throttle=body not being tight enough...that's also where the 'whistling' was coming from..now the only problem is a rough idle, a lack of torque low in the RPM range, and a code that indicates it's running rich. Any ideas now?

The 'hopper

Old 06-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot

What was the code? P something?

Old 07-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Grashopr
Freshman User

I forget the codes right now, however I can post them when I get home...but if I remember right, it was reading rich....anyways, I haven't messed with the truck in 3 weeks. My wife has been driving it, it runs terrific anything above 600rpm. Below that it's a dog and idles ROUGH when at stop-lights. I have been reading around, and it sounds as if it may be the EGR sensor...but HOW could it go bad just by taking it off of the truck???? Oh wel...I'll try anything at this point. I HATE the thought of taking it to a mechanic after getting this far!!

The 'hopper

Old 07-19-2003, 08:04 AM
Fordcr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's it doin'?

Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Fordcr
Senior User

I must ask again, as I someday might want to rip my truck apart. How's it running?

Old 08-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Grashopr
Freshman User

Fordcr
Truck runs terrific, idles horrible. Wife lost all faith in my abilities to find out why it won't idle, so we have taken it to a mechanic. He says its the EGR so we are replacing it this weekend. Other than that, it has good horsepower, torque and doesn't leak. I feel like this was successful, even though I had to pay $75 to find out that the EGR went bad.

The 'hopper

Old 08-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Fordcr
Senior User

thanks for the update. Hope the EGR solves all. We know you have ability!

Old 08-27-2003, 02:15 AM
Grashopr
Freshman User

I can't beleive I started this three months ago....

After taking a couple (4 or 5) weeks off, I am back at it. The truck still has the same problem (stuttering when under a load at idle or below 1k RPM). I am beginning to bow to the fact that the timing may be off. I had heard that if the timing is off AT ALL, valves would hit, cats and dogs would fall from the sky, and Elvis would be resurrected.

I am taking a compression checker to it this weekend...after that, I'm going to bite the bullet and pull the front cover off and just check the marks.....argh!!!

If I have to pull the front cover off, I'll photodocument the progress so if someone on here would sponsor the space, others would have a 'how to' on head gasket replacement. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though!

The 'hopper

Old 09-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Grashopr
Freshman User

Terrific!

I think I finally found the problem...I took the front cover back off the motor (dont worry, I got pics of the process this time) and found that my timing marks were off by at least 1 tooth, maybe 2. So, after looking for gold links for a half-hour, I took the chain off, marked the end links and put it back on. I'm as sure as I've been that this was the problem....I went to put it back together yesterday, and found that my new valve cover gasket has expanded and won't stay inside the seat on the valve cover while I bolt it up. So I"m off to buy anotehr this morning and hopefully have the beast running by this afternoon. As soon as it's runing, I'll finish the website showing how to get down to get your head off yourself. Wish me luck!

The 'hopper

Old 09-12-2003, 04:09 PM
v10Mustang
Junior User

Sounds like you've been having fun. =)
I've done about 200 of these so it's always good to hear that people are doing them there selves now instead of taking 'em to dealerships where i have to deal with 'em. =)
And i've never pulled a motor or a cab to do a head gasket and i can usually do 'em in around 5 hours. =)
Practice makes perfect

Old 09-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot

so v10Mustang is it safe to assume you do the job how Ford wants and pull the engine out?
"yarite", he says as he chuckles to himself.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:37 AM
v10Mustang
Junior User

I remember when they came out with the "revised" way to do head gasket and it was to pull the motor. I propmtly told them to go shove it up there butt. =)
Or they could come out here and pull the motor then i'll do the head gasket and they can put the motor back in. snicker

Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 PM
fejetmech
Freshman User
Grashopr, Loved your story. i admire your go get it attitude with your head change. I am an aircraft tech and I dont know If I would tackle that job. Anyhow would love to know how its running now. Any leaks. My 2001 150 screw is approaching 93k and am wondering if I will be doing what you did. Knock on wood.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:36 PM
12.5/1
Freshman User
Grashopr, Your a better man than I.

Quick Reply: Head Job? Anyone Do Their Own R/R?