Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 F350 refuses to run! CONTEST

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
oleman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 F350 refuses to run! CONTEST

I have been on the F350 460 FI C6 for 88 for several months now.
Very interesting problems with sometimes strange symptoms.
The engine was totally overhauled 10,000 miles ago and has good compression and oil pressure with no detectable internal problems.
Battery and starter are fine.
The truck is clean neat and is not a junker!!
Ignition switch wants to hang but I think its the rod that runs to the switch hanging on the tilt joint. Find nothing that is not powered when it should be.
Many, many replaceable parts have been replaced, I have had the thing fix its self for a few days but it always comes back.

Symptoms are; will start and die in 20 seconds if MAP has vacuum connected.
If MAP has vacuum disconnected it will start and continue to idle but runs rich, which would be expected.
It will not accelerate without vacuum to map, refuses to build rpm; probably normal.

It has a new fuel system from the tank to the tail pipe, including injectors.
Added dash mounted fuel pressure gauge; good pressure with engine running, dead or dying.
It has a new electric system except for harness. including EEC, distributer, IGM and others including coil.
EGR is blocked off ---- but I unblocked it, without change, for the past 3 years the vacuum line was off to the EGR valve and it ran fine.
The CAT was gutted, so there is no exhaust restrictions.
Every sensor has been replaced.
EEC returns no KOEO codes except 11, C returns a 34 sometimes a 96 but with good fuel pressure a 96 is a mystery.
All voltages and grounds to the EEC/ECM are intact. I added additional grounds, battery to frame to body after the problem started happening.
THE PERSON WHO PRODUCES A WORKABLE SOLUTION WINS THE CONTEST AND COLLECTS A NICE appreciation from the OLEMAN

Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oleman
I have been on the F350 460 FI C6 for 88 for several months now.
Very interesting problems with sometimes strange symptoms.
The engine was totally overhauled 10,000 miles ago and has good compression and oil pressure with no detectable international problems.
Battery and starter are fine.
The truck is clean neat and is not a junker!!
Ignition switch wants to hang but I think its the rod that runs to the switch hanging on the tilt joint. Find nothing that is not powered when it should be.
Many, many replaceable parts have been replaced, I have had the thing fix its self for a few days but it always comes back.

Symptoms are; will start and die in 20 seconds if MAP has vacuum connected.
If MAP has vacuum disconnected it will start and continue to idle but runs rich, which would be expected.
It will not accelerate without vacuum to map, refuses to build rpm; probably normal.

It has a new fuel system from the tank to the tail pipe, including injectors.
Added dash mounted fuel pressure gauge; good pressure with engine running, dead or dying.
It has a new electric system except for harness. including EEC, distributer, IGM and others including coil.
EGR is blocked off ---- but I unblocked it, without change, for the past 3 years the vacuum line was off to the EGR valve and it ran fine.
The CAT was gutted, so there is no exhaust restrictions.
Every sensor has been replaced.
All voltages and grounds to the EEC/ECM are intact.
THE PERSON WHO PRODUCES A WORKABLE SOLUTION WINS THE CONTEST AND COLLECTS A NICE appreciation from the OLEMAN
You said,"It has a new electric system except for harness. including EEC, distributer, IGM and others including coil."
Does that include a new motorcraft TPS ???
Have you at least checked the voltage on the currently installed TPS yet ?????
Have you tried switching the EEC relay with a good known working one ???
Is the cab properly grounded back to the battery ????

And the obvious...........checked for any codes ?????

Bob