1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

My 1970 F100 Flareside (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Lizardman has a good point Greg. Clutch,Clutch linkage parts,tranny input seal and bearing cover gasket,motor/tranny mounts,etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know guys. It all depends on the $$ as to what gets done. I also want to get it done before we start seeing 100+ degree days. Some things might just happen to fail while the motor is in process of all this. I think we all know we have a budget but there are those parts that just "oops, it broke". I try to keep a contingency fund for such things. The move has really drained the bank account so I am not sure when this will happen. I have the gaskets but still need the fluids and a few odds and ends. I don't want to pull it until I can complete it. I need it drivable, so can't have it down for long.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 AM
carchub
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How goes-it, Greg? Any news on the flareside?

Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Greg,
Just read your thread and you are doing a great job!!! My last truck had a 300 in it.....I have a carter YFA sitting on top of my toolbox that I am not using since I have sold that truck. PM me if you still need it. I look forward to reading more progress on your truck.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the comments and interest in my little build. I am waiting on more funds to get everything I need for the rest of the parts and possible head work I am looking at.

I would love to have a Carter YFA that has not been as abused as my current one. I will PM you and see if something can be worked out. Thanks so much for offering it up.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I'M in the bleachers too Greg. Give your little Minion a hug for us too.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Jeff, when you going to make a Vegas trip to escape the Phoenix heat?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Gembone
Jeff, when you going to make a Vegas trip to escape the Phoenix heat?
What? You tryin' to get me and my girlfriend married by Elvis?
All kidding aside I appreciate you asking. It might just be arranged sometime soon. Summer is my Girlfriend's business' slow season. So we will be more free. HMMM. Have to look in to this..........

Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Well, I have made almost no progress on my truck. Luckily it is a driver and not a torn down project, so I get to enjoy it. Even with temps over 100 I still love to drive it around for errands. One day I hope to get A/C put in. I was at the local Pick-A-Part with a friend I was helping with his wife's Honda. They had a 70 LWB 4x2 that was mostly still intact. I grabbed the long hood trim, the emblem nuts, and the dash brake light assembly. My friend paid for it since I am still broke. To top things off in my financial department, my compressor died. The equivalent compressor is $400 from harbor freight. I will have to settle for something a little less at about $200.
Well here is the good stuff, a pick of the new trim piece and hood emblems installed.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hit C/List for garage sales & the auto parts pages for guy the need to sell there stuff fast to pay the rent or just need it gone sales. Sometime ya get some great deals the money is tight.

Ok here ya go $200 buckshttp://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4491254303.html
orich

Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Thanks for looking out but the SCFI is to low at 90 PSI for proper use of air tools. I have found one at HF that is $180 with a better SCFI rating at 90 psi. It is also a vertical 20-21 gal tank. Compressor I am considering

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 PM
orich
Lead Driver
I've found most air tools are a waste of electricity. Other then a paint spraying & Air chisel. Electric tools out preform air tools. One you got a wait for it to fill with air then the compressor runs while using air tools. I've been their done that then realized they are very inefficient for the most part. Any type of grinders and die grinders all can be done by a 120v tool. Now running a sand blaster no way around that.

Today tools electrical tool have it over 80+ yr old type of air shop tools.

Remember a shops ran air jacks, vehicle lift racks and so on. Then a good reason to have a larger compressor..

my 2cents
Orich

If your going to be painting the you need a low psi high volume gun.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
I use it for impact guns, air ratchets, die grinders, air hammer, and will eventually be spraying with it. I use electric sanders and such.
Plus, the minion needs to be able to keep her bike tires and soccer ball pumped up.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Wow, hard to believe it has been about 6 months since I have made any updates to this thread.

Truck was out of service for about a month due to needing a clutch. It took me a bit to get the $ for everything I wanted to replace while it was apart. I did the clutch rod and equalizer bushings, floor clutch rod boot, exhaust flange gasket, and valve cover gasket.

I decided to use the diaphragm type pressure plate over the stiffer arm style. That took a bit to get used to how the pedal felt. Drives great though.

Today I have finally replaced the dry rotted tires and stock wheels with new tires and rims from a 97-98 F150.

Here is how it looks now

Next is shocks, radius arm bushings, full brake rebuild, carpet, dynomat patches, POR15 the floor pans, door and window seals.

I wanted a full front to back rubber mat but can only find one that goes from firewall to the seat. So I will go with carpet and get rubber mats.

I will try to not take 6 months with the updates this time

Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Gembone
Wow, hard to believe it has been about 6 months since I have made any updates to this thread.

Truck was out of service for about a month due to needing a clutch. It took me a bit to get the $ for everything I wanted to replace while it was apart. I did the clutch rod and equalizer bushings, floor clutch rod boot, exhaust flange gasket, and valve cover gasket.

I decided to use the diaphragm type pressure plate over the stiffer arm style. That took a bit to get used to how the pedal felt. Drives great though.

Today I have finally replaced the dry rotted tires and stock wheels with new tires and rims from a 97-98 F150.

Here is how it looks now

Next is shocks, radius arm bushings, full brake rebuild, carpet, dynomat patches, POR15 the floor pans, door and window seals.

I wanted a full front to back rubber mat but can only find one that goes from firewall to the seat. So I will go with carpet and get rubber mats.

I will try to not take 6 months with the updates this time
In running the 'diaphragm' type pressure my instructions for use Stage I II or III was recommended removing the helper spring that ford setup on the clutch pedal that was to aide in depressing a hard pedal.

Their thinking is it mite cause the pedal to put added pressure on the throw-out bearing that could cause early bearing failure.

Orich

Quick Reply: My 1970 F100 Flareside (Pic Heavy)