1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

newbie here- hey guys, what is this

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
probepower
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie here- hey guys, what is this

this truck is local to me and as I know the flat head still runs (parked under its power), and I think its only rusted through in in the cab in one spot (where the door post meets the floor board on the driver side front edge), I think the price is fair. It is obviously a merc 1 ton. is there anything else you guys see off the bat with this thing? My ambitions would be to put a cummins (dont know how that would fit) or a 7.3 out of a 97 ford 1 ton. What do you guys think? thanks for your input.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - probepower's Album: 56 (?) ford 1 ton

ps, sorry if I took the long way around getting you guys to the pictures

Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
It's a '53 Mercury F350? with the 9' express box. Pretty rare truck.....
Looks to be in pretty decent shape too. Be kind of a shame to mess with the originality of that truck, IMO.....

Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
I agree I'd have a tough time putting a diesel in that. What kind of price is on it? Is the tailgate around? How long ago was it parked?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
probepower
New User
I just dont see myself puttering around with a flathead- i like the thought of that but i think it would be hugely underpowered by todays standards, and if I ever want to go more than a couple hours drive away from home than id want to know for sure about the reliability of the issue. It is tough to beat the boost acceleration of a turbdiesel and milage for that sake too.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
probepower
New User
he is askin $850, I think it was parked there two summers ago

Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Looks to have widowmakers... otherwise a decent price

Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If it is solid, save it at that price. It would need at least more gearing to be road safe at today's speeds. A member here has a Mercedes turbo diesel in one of similar vintage. A Dana 60 or 70 would get you into better gearing and wheels on the rear.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
probepower
New User
whats a widowmaker btw? exploding rims? is there resale $$ in that flathead if it runs? On the other hand how cool would a flathead trike be?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
That M350 is in pretty good shape and there are 2 extra doors leaning up against the shed. Yes, the Mercury tailgate would be important to have.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
jrmwilson
Junior User
widowmakers

Originally Posted by probepower
whats a widowmaker btw? exploding rims? is there resale $$ in that flathead if it runs? On the other hand how cool would a flathead trike be?
Welcome, ProbePower! This is good group.
The split-rims or widowmakers are/were on many of our trucks. When I first got my F-6 it had split-rims. At the local small-town truck-tractor-auto parts store I asked the friendly counter guy, "What do you think of split rims, should I use them?" The store was crowded and there were six guys working behind the counter. My counter guy smiled and raised his voice so everyone could hear, "What do you think of split-rims?" All the counter guys and some of the customers said all at once as if the whole town had rehersed, "GET RID OF THEM!"
Split rims were more necessary in the days when flats were more common and we needed to repair our flats on our own. Now there aren't enough people who understand them and corrosion is making them less stable so split-rims are more dangerous than they were 50 years ago.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a cool truck, and if you want to and can do it, why not put a modern diesel in it? And if the flathead will run and is not cracked you should be able to sell it as there are a lot of people who love them. I personally like having a more modern drive train because I want to drive mine everyday, in town and on the highway. I also like to be able to stop and have 4 wheel disc brakes. If you get it, do what you want to with it. Just don't make it into a Ratrod!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM
cristian75
New User
Go for the diesel!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
probepower
New User
will the stock frame hold a 7.3 powerstroke? does anyone know how well it would fit into the engine bay? I fabricate at work and I could make my own motor mounts. A buddy of mine has a 97 powerstroke complete truck that I could have for two grand so right there I would have the engine, tranny, ecu (with bullydog) and rear diff to donate to the cause.

Btw, that same buddy has a 1967 bodied puller truck with a 530 ci making 1040 horse that he pulls in superstock and in open class~ I'll try to drop a link to it

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A build like this wouldn't be for the feint of heart, it would take a lot of fabrication work if it would fit between the radiator and the firewall and leave room for the steering. The rear end would be much too wide, but the rest might fit with some work. There is bound to be somebody that has done it, keep searching!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put your body parts on a late model frame with 7.3 and be done with it.

Quick Reply: newbie here- hey guys, what is this