Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning A Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I'm not sure on the shock length, however, I think you may run into driveshaft length issues at a 6" lift. I'm not positive on that, but I lifted my truck about 7" in the rear and the driveshaft was no where near long enough. That was on an F250, so I'm sure yours is the same deal. Plus, if you put 33" tires on there with a 6" lift, it is going to be goofy as hell. You also may want to check into local laws on how high you can go.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
I'm not sure on the shock length, however, I think you may run into driveshaft length issues at a 6" lift. I'm not positive on that, but I lifted my truck about 7" in the rear and the driveshaft was no where near long enough. That was on an F250, so I'm sure yours is the same deal. Plus, if you put 33" tires on there with a 6" lift, it is going to be goofy as hell. You also may want to check into local laws on how high you can go.
Yeah, didn't even think about driveshaft length. If I went to 6", I wouldn't keep 33"s. Stock, I'm already only 3" away from state 1 ton rear bumper height law, but I'm not gonna worry about it. No one else does.

I just gotta think about it all before I rush into anything.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you looked into the RSK? It is not just a longer or flipped shackle, it moves the shackle from the front of the spring to the rear, which improves the suspension geometry while giving you 3 or 5" lift. With the shackle up front, when the wheel travels up to clear a bump it also travels forward slightly making it more harsh. Moved to the rear of the spring, the wheel now travels rearwards as it goes over a bump... much smoother. You don't need to buy front springs, so I believe it is cheaper also.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Like Bashby has been saying all along. RSK. You would be a fool to do it any other way.

It is about 350 for a 3" RSK to reuse your existing springs and the ride would improve.

Or if you want a NICE ride you can go with a PFM RSK that lets you use longer SuperDuty springs.

For the rear I would recommend a Icon lift spring for a SD in what ever lift height you are looking for.

Just a FYI. 33s will look like complete a s s on a truck with 6" of lift
35s fit just about perfect on a truck with a 2.25 RSK and full SD springs

Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Like Bashby has been saying all along. RSK. You would be a fool to do it any other way.

It is about 350 for a 3" RSK to reuse your existing springs and the ride would improve.

Or if you want a NICE ride you can go with a PFM RSK that lets you use longer SuperDuty springs.

For the rear I would recommend a Icon lift spring for a SD in what ever lift height you are looking for.

Just a FYI. 33s will look like complete a s s on a truck with 6" of lift
35s fit just about perfect on a truck with a 2.25 RSK and full SD springs

I keep hearing people talk about the SD springs, do you mean the stock ones from the 99+ trucks. Do they give additional lift?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bashby
Have you looked into the RSK? It is not just a longer or flipped shackle, it moves the shackle from the front of the spring to the rear, which improves the suspension geometry while giving you 3 or 5" lift. With the shackle up front, when the wheel travels up to clear a bump it also travels forward slightly making it more harsh. Moved to the rear of the spring, the wheel now travels rearwards as it goes over a bump... much smoother. You don't need to buy front springs, so I believe it is cheaper also.
Sounds like a good setup. I like what you're saying. Do you think you could post some links for me? That would be awesome!

Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru

Can you point me to specific links? I see a rear shackle kit from Sky for my truck, but I don't see front ones. Here's the rear one I found: 78-97 F series Ford 4x4 Rear Shackle Flip Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just need to figure out how to order the parts. It sounds like you're pretty experienced at this!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
Can you point me to specific links? I see a rear shackle kit from Sky for my truck, but I don't see front ones. Here's the rear one I found: 78-97 F series Ford 4x4 Rear Shackle Flip Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just need to figure out how to order the parts. It sounds like you're pretty experienced at this!

Thanks in advance!
The first link in my previous post is to Sky's RSK. All I did was google "sky rsk"

Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
The only thing for the front that I see from Sky are for 9th generation F-Series. It says frame mods must be made for the kit it to fit 1887-1991 trucks. That's this front kit from them: http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=162

I don't see anything through them that will fit 1987-1991 F-Series. I saw one kit through another company that fit the front, but it was about $100 more than the Sky kit for all 4 shackles.

Also, if I were to do the frame mods, will I need a pitman arm with the lift it will give me?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bashby
I keep hearing people talk about the SD springs, do you mean the stock ones from the 99+ trucks. Do they give additional lift?
Yes and no. The lift they give is marginal. The RSK is where you get the lift. The SD stock springs give the ride.

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
The only thing for the front that I see from Sky are for 9th generation F-Series. It says frame mods must be made for the kit it to fit 1887-1991 trucks. That's this front kit from them: 92-97 F-250/F-350 3-5 inch 4x4 Front Shackle Rever - Sky's Off-road Design

I don't see anything through them that will fit 1987-1991 F-Series. I saw one kit through another company that fit the front, but it was about $100 more than the Sky kit for all 4 shackles.

Also, if I were to do the frame mods, will I need a pitman arm with the lift it will give me?
ORU(OffRoadUnlimited) sells a RSK for your 87-91. But like you said it is about $100 more than the SKY kit, But it also comes with the piece of metal to box your frame so the RSK will work. If you have fab skills, I would get the SKY kit and make a piece to box your frame.

I have not used the a RSK on the 80-91 frame so I cannot speak from experience but my 86 has SD springs on it and the bumper is notched to clear the longer springs, I would think the 87-91 would be similar

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Yes and no. The lift they give is marginal. The RSK is where you get the lift. The SD stock springs give the ride.

ORU(OffRoadUnlimited) sells a RSK for your 87-91. But like you said it is about $100 more than the SKY kit, But it also comes with the piece of metal to box your frame so the RSK will work. If you have fab skills, I would get the SKY kit and make a piece to box your frame.

I have not used the a RSK on the 80-91 frame so I cannot speak from experience but my 86 has SD springs on it and the bumper is notched to clear the longer springs, I would think the 87-91 would be similar
Thanks for the reply. That was where I saw the kit (ORU). Their kit is this: ORU's Reverse Shackle Kit 1986.5-1991 Ford 4WD F350 - Reverse Shackle Kits - Off Road Unlimited

It says that the kit only relocates the front shackles. So I'll still need a rear set.

Another possible option I guess would be getting the rear shackle kit from Sky, and getting 4" springs for the front. It sounds like the shackle kit is nice for the ride quality though. Not sure where to go with that...
I'm thinking I'll do the shackles in the back no matter what (through Sky) because it's a cheap, nice riding option. Plus I don't feel like I need as much lift in the back since it already site higher. In the front, would you go with $650 4" springs, shocks, pitman arm or $500 2.5-3" with the RSK? I'd love to know your opinion.

I've got some time to think about it since I don't really want to sit outside and do this until April when it warms up nicely.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I have heard nothing but problems with SKY rear shackle flip. I thought about it for my bronco but I dont want issues. I would just go with what lift spring you want.

For the front I would go with what ever RSK you want and then the corresponding springs to get the lift you are looking for

This is ORUs 2.5" RSK w super lift 4" lift springs with 2 leafs per pack taken out.
The rear is 6" skyjacker springs with the fitted add-a-leaf.
Total lift is about 7-8" over stock.
35/14.50/16.6 tire

Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
I have heard nothing but problems with SKY rear shackle flip. I thought about it for my bronco but I dont want issues. I would just go with what lift spring you want.

For the front I would go with what ever RSK you want and then the corresponding springs to get the lift you are looking for
Okay, I guess I'll do front RSK through ORU for the front.

I really liked the shackle idea in the back too. What have you heard bad about it? Maybe someone else makes them for the rear...?

Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru

This is ORUs 2.5" RSK w super lift 4" lift springs with 2 leafs per pack taken out.
The rear is 6" skyjacker springs with the fitted add-a-leaf.
Total lift is about 7-8" over stock.
35/14.50/16.6 tire
Your truck looks sweet! Might hope to get to that point at some time. For now, I'd really like to do RSK or something and get 2.5"-4". May go to bigger springs later, and/or eventually 2" body lift.

Quick Reply: Planning A Lift