1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1967 dog dish hub cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lambone
I have 2 of each of these, been told by a few on this site they are "...rare as hen's teeth..." but no bites and no interest here?? Is there a secret handshake or something on this site? I don't get it. I also don't want to scrap them but they are taking up space and my recycling trailer is about full and ready to dump. Any interest, wants or takers on this site??

Rare or not, I'm out of space and don't need them...

Thanks
JB

Those are outies because they clamp on the outside of the center section.

They look like the deeper version of the same style. Are both the same height? If so, I'll take 'em so long as they are the +/-12-inch wide caps.
PM me.

Here's what I did with mine:

Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
lambone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: PM

I just sent you a PM.
Thanks
JB

Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

I have a set of these if anyone would like to purchase them. Was gonna cherry out my ride and decided to use it as an old truck instead. I paid $75 off eBay. Will let them go for that much.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 PM
qman
Cargo Master
I have 2 of each of these, been told by a few on this site they are "...rare as hen's teeth..." but no bites and no interest here?? Is there a secret handshake or something on this site? I don't get it. I also don't want to scrap them but they are taking up space and my recycling trailer is about full and ready to dump. Any interest, wants or takers on this site??

Rare or not, I'm out of space and don't need them...

Thanks
JB
I think those are about as rare as junk cars in a junk yard.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I just sent you a PM.
Thanks
JB
Thanks for the telephone conversation. Yes, I concur that the pair in your possession are in fact INNIES.

For those what wanna see, check out lambone's FTE albums (the one to the right of the screen) and look at the pic with the inner flange.

I am bummed but it's the first time I've seen this hubcap style as innies. THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION JB.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM
lambone
Senior User
16 inch "Innies"...

Thanks HiO Silver,
I'm sorry you can't use 'em. Hopefully, someone who KNOWS what these are will see them and realizes just what they are. I appreciate your input.
Thanks again,
JBhttp://images.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/party0031.gif

Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
lambone
Senior User
Originally Posted by qman
I think those are about as rare as junk cars in a junk yard.
Thanks for the opinion...
BTW... what junkyards are you going to? I'd like to check them out! You may

have missed a few gems in there. See the second pic...some junk huh???

Image0087

Image0090

Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed! I know mine is from a different run of truck years but I'm old school at heart and have found 5 F&H rims in a size I want. Any help in identifying which "outies" will fit them is appreciated.

Also, what is a good finish (paint, plasticoat, etc) to refinish then with that will have a fighting chance of holding up to balance wights and hubcap installs like a factory finish does?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Measure the outside diameter of the raised area in the center section.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Measure the outside diameter of the raised area in the center section.
Should I start my own thread?

Yes, start your own thread.

I don't think those measurements will accommodate typical Bump/Dent hubcaps which are about 10.25 inches and 12.25 inches depending on the model.
Thanks!!

I edited out my pics and moved them to a new thread here:

HERE

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Should I start my own thread?

These have three outies.

And measure 11-1/5" outside to outside:

With the bump adding another 1/4":

Here's a profile of the raised area:
Yes, start your own thread.

I don't think those measurements will accommodate typical Bump/Dent hubcaps which are about 10.25 inches and 12.25 inches depending on the model.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM
qman
Cargo Master
BTW... what junkyards are you going to? I'd like to check them out! You may have missed a few gems in there. See the second pic...some junk huh???
Yep, total junk all rusty and faded. My neighbor has a stack of those in his garage. Eight I believe. Was gonna put a set on my truck but found something I liked better.

I see them all over the two UPull N Pays I visit.

They are so rare you can still buy them nice and shiny. Bottom row, #FRDT55 http://www.hubcaps.org/f250-truck.html

Here's a set on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-FORD-TRUCK-F150-250-DOG-DISH-HUBCAPS-16-16-5-F250-/261543293446?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce531f206&vxp=mtr
Here, go through the rest of the listings. There are more.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM
lambone
Senior User
Yes, what you have posted are available on some sites...But the ones I have are not what you have pictured. They may at 1st glance look just like yours but take a closer look at the inside of the rim of the steel wheel and the inside of the hubcap pictures I have posted earlier. I reattached to save you time. Your hubcaps will not fit these rims and my hubcaps will not fit your rims. Yet, they are all FMC parts circa 1966/1967.

As others here have confirmed, the style of hubcaps I have are sometimes called "INNIES" as they snap into the wheel center, not around the center as "OUTIES" do. See the rim has no outside ears to hold a hubcap on it, only ears on the inside of the center, see close up.

These rims and hubcaps are more similar in design to 1950's style FORD truck wheels with the Baby Moon inner cap but made for early 1967 F250's w/16 inch wheels only.

Does that make it any clearer for you?

Image0085

Image0083

Image0081

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 AM
qman
Cargo Master
If they are in fact rare . . . what are they worth?

Here, check it out. According to NumDum they are all that were available until 1967. Don't sound like that would be something rare. When I walk into the UPull n Pay there are tons of these old trucks in there. Never knew anything about innie vs outtie. If they're worth cash I'll start hoarding them. The UPull n Pay only charges $3 for hub caps so I think I'm gonna corner the market.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-hubcaps.html

Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM
lambone
Senior User
They're worth what someone will pay, I guess. Number dummy is correct that these (wheels?) were "...all that were available until '67..." but number dummy mis-identified these over a year ago too, so even your go-to guru is fallible like the rest of us.

Beside the fact that this pattern of hubcap (at 1st glance) is the same hubcap appearance wise to (1967-1972) throws many people off and they miss it just like you and ND did, tells me there are probably more of them out there because people assume they are the same ones you have referenced as easy to find.

But, and I repeat, the hubcaps in this pattern w/innie snap design were made for a very short period of time in late 1966. I suspect that FORD wanted to get rid of all the wheels (with "innie" ears) they had left over in inventory from earlier years and made a short run of these hubcaps to
get- by before redesigning the wheel to accept an "Outie" style hubcap using the same pattern that then became the 1967-1972 pattern hubcap used on F250-F350 models.

I still believe these are rare, (does not necessarily mean pricey) especially with the correct rims. After-all they don't fit any other 16 inch wheel and were extremely limited. I would call them a factory issued 1966/1967 "smoothy" for lack of a better term. Very similar to early VW's, up to 1967 also.

Maybe you will agree or not but as you have mentioned, you knew nothing of these being any different than the others you referenced. Your not the 1st & seriously doubt you'll be the last to miss it.

So if you can find some of these "Innies" in your junkyard visits, buy them!
I think you will be extremely lucky to find the 16" rims... if so, go buy a Lotto ticket, you never know.
JB

Quick Reply: 1967 dog dish hub cap