S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Keep at it, it sounds like your doing the right things. And, I can see you come from a performance oriented family. Nice wheels for a young person, or anyone for that matter!
Thanks!

I drove our mustang (dads original owner too) in high school, and once going into college my parents wanted to get me a car, however I was able to talk them into just letting me use the X, and that's when my mom got the Magnum (she drives a lot and thought the V6 would be good), I think we'll be looking at another ford though since the magnum hasn't just been as good as any of the fords we've gotten.

.....now back on topic with your build

Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming along, wiring harness installed, CFM manifold, regulated return. Ended up polishing the interior of the CFM tubes as both pieces were not as smooth as they should have been, better than stock but still not like they should have been. Waiting on braided return fuel line being fab'd.

The top idler pulley has to be replaced. Once it was installed we noted the bearing was not seated properly and the pulley wobbles as it rotates. Something must have happened when we removed the old bearings or the powder coater may have taken some material off the bearing area before sending it back. I thought it looked too clean

4" Exhaust installed.........

Have some mods to do to install the 6.0 Intercooler and transmission cooler. Not a direct bolt in by any means. Hoping to get this thing fired up next week.........cross my fingers.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, It makes me want to pull my motor.. but nothing is wrong at this point....

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Looks great. Should of used the 4" band clamps on the exhaust piping. Makes for easy removal of the down pipe and the rest if needed. Flirting with the smog guys unless you know something I don't. Great build, wish it was mine.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Flirting with the smog guys unless you know something I don't. Great build, wish it was mine.
Yea, I've been wondering about that, too.

Smog ***** won't even allow a regulated return, even though we all know it won't affect emissions at all.

Bureaucracies. Learned to hate 'em....

Pop

Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
I may have to put CA in my rear view mirror. Not much for the big brother thing given the things they've been pulling in the last number of years. Kind of like the way they think in Texas............

Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Comprende!

Pop

Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
I may have to put CA in my rear view mirror. Not much for the big brother thing given the things they've been pulling in the last number of years. Kind of like the way they think in Texas............
Like i said before..
Everybody who was meant to be a Texan...
Comes home eventually!

Looks amazing Gary... this thread has turned into full blown truck ****...

Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
cool status updates man! i like the pic with the other 7.3 in the background just waiting to go up on its lift.. how many bays they got in that shop? i got pinged during my smog check for that same regulated return. i'm trying to figure out how to register my vehicle in another state. keep the reports coming Gary! project looks real sharp dude.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the cost to the manufacturer (mostly a time wait) to get a product 50 state legal.
I remember when a company made a header for the 5.0 explorer, and took them a year to get it carb approved, but they did.
It would be nice to see more carb approved mods for the powerstroke crown. Unfortunately the 7.3 is an older engine and limited market now.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Comprende!

Pop
Alittle further north I think Marv!

Originally Posted by Christof13T
Like i said before..
Everybody who was meant to be a Texan...
Comes home eventually!

Thanks Chris. I just have to figure out how to make a living there at my age. Starting over in your 50's is not really appealling, and I have to look into the IT Engineering field there to see if I can make a go of it and open an office there. ROAD TRIP!

Originally Posted by bdpotts
cool status updates man! i like the pic with the other 7.3 in the background just waiting to go up on its lift.. how many bays they got in that shop? i got pinged during my smog check for that same regulated return. i'm trying to figure out how to register my vehicle in another state. keep the reports coming Gary! project looks real sharp dude.
Thanks, appreciate the compliments. I think he has like 10 bays....and keeps them pretty busy with customers waiting. Yeah, this issue over the regulated return IMHO resuts from dirty tunes where guys are just dumping as much fuel as possible through their injectors. Regulating the return pressure again IMHO only ensures you have adequate fuel pressure there when you need to have it. Clean tune, decent driving habits should not be an issue. California bureaucrats are the best at creating stifling regulation, economy killers.

Originally Posted by UNTAMND
What is the cost to the manufacturer (mostly a time wait) to get a product 50 state legal.
I remember when a company made a header for the 5.0 explorer, and took them a year to get it carb approved, but they did.
It would be nice to see more carb approved mods for the powerstroke crown. Unfortunately the 7.3 is an older engine and limited market now.
Not sure of the cost, or of the hoop course you have to transverse to make it happen. Understood what your saying about the 7.3, but those of us with em will fight to the end..to keep em !

California was at one time the performance mod capital of the country, now its the regulation capital. Leading the way.......to where is subject of debate.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Looks great. Should of used the 4" band clamps on the exhaust piping. Makes for easy removal of the down pipe and the rest if needed. Flirting with the smog guys unless you know something I don't. Great build, wish it was mine.
The U-calmps are actually just to get everything lined up and fitted/marked. I was intending on welding them up but your right band clamps make it easier if I ever needed to take the system apart. Hmmmm, have to think about that. Thanks for the input!.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Great idea Chris, ok everyone, insert your single dollar bills into the slot and press enter to send!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Well, I didn't get it fired up this week. Ordered a few special lengths of braided fuel line last week due for pick up Tuesday this week. I called before I drove to pick it up and the guy said the place he buys from didn't have his order, and he lost his paper with my info on it. What a flake......I've ordered twice now from the guy and that's it. So, I went onto the Russell Performance site and pulled down their catalogue, went through and picked out all the pieces/part I needed for the fuel line and will do it myself. Should be here Monday. I am really hoping to fire this thing up next week.

Having issues with the transmission dipstick tube. Routing it around the new Banks power elbow will require bending the tube. We'll, it always has to be something in any build. AC system charging, batteries charged........

New AIS. Not sure I like the box, too soon to tell.

Banks 6.0 intercooler. Significantly bigger than the 7.3. Requires 3"x 3.5" boots....which I did not realize until we went to install the 3" and it no worky. :0( More delays. Due in Monday. oops!

Transmission Cooler for a 6.0. Mounted up just fine.

New u-joints installed, drive shaft in ready to install.

Working this weekend. Someone go to the beach for me a say hi to a pretty lady!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Looks great. I wondered what happen to your posts. To bad you couldn't of matched the AC clutch and pulley to the same as the rest. This is a great build. Waiting to here more!

Quick Reply: 7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!