7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Lookin' good, Gary. Love the Riffraff plenums
Me too Steve. I tried to buy as much made in USA as I could.

Originally Posted by Christof13T
Subscribing...
Fantaculous looking progress!
Thanks. More to come.

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Great pictures Gary. Looking very good.
Lol, you should recognize most of the stuff Clay. What 15 orders later I think we nailed it. Appreciate all your help, and what you do for us Diesel folks.

Originally Posted by cameeks
All of us ex owners are California compliant. Unless someone modified theirs.
No CARB folks allowed on this thread. My name is Elmer Fudd and I approve this build!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't know how I came in late on this build. But I'm glad I caught it and I am going to follow it closely till done. It really looks great, can't wait to see how it comes out.

Chet

Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM
BigTruk small feet
Junior User
Wow, just Wow.....this is a work of art in progress. Kudos to you for taking on and doing such beautiful work on this project.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Don't know how I came in late on this build. But I'm glad I caught it and I am going to follow it closely till done. It really looks great, can't wait to see how it comes out.

Chet
Thanks Chet. Me as well. I was hoping to have it uip and runiing in time for the SoCal Chapter get together in Long Beach but with work I dont think that is going to happen. I'll have to make the next one.

Originally Posted by BigTruk small feet
Wow, just Wow.....this is a work of art in progress. Kudos to you for taking on and doing such beautiful work on this project.
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. This is probably my last major build, and I wanted to do it right, and then my Ex should last me to the last sunset........ pardner.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking great. Im jealous.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

When is the SoCal charter get together? Haven't read much on it. Is it a BBQ or wrench event?

Chet

Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
When is the SoCal charter get together? Haven't read much on it. Is it a BBQ or wrench event?

Chet
June 1st, ElDorado Park in LB. Here's the link to the thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-pot-luck.html

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Now, when you can stop laughing at me I really did mean well and had no plans on loosing my mind when I started the project. The process became toxic, and I had no one around to slap me. lol! I am apparently out to do what Obama cant, stimulate the economy by myself...........your welcome Clay!
First of all I must say I am really enjoying watching your build it is coming along nicely and that is a impressive pile of parts. WOW! Now you say you don't have someone around to slap you so I take it you are NOT married. Because I know my wife would come unglued if I did what you are doing. So reps to you for doing what my wife won't let me do.

What brand exhaust manifolds did you use and where did you get them? Did they come with the exhaust gaskets? And what boost psi are you planning on running? Or hoping for.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
First of all I must say I am really enjoying watching your build it is coming along nicely and that is a impressive pile of parts. WOW! Now you say you don't have someone around to slap you so I take it you are NOT married. Because I know my wife would come unglued if I did what you are doing. So reps to you for doing what my wife won't let me do.

What brand exhaust manifolds did you use and where did you get them? Did they come with the exhaust gaskets? And what boost psi are you planning on running? Or hoping for.
Thanks. Well, I am married......35 years now and counting. I dont know why she's still here, because I know I wouldnt hang around me for that long. She really is my best friend, even though I dont deserve her.

The exhaust manifolds are original stock, after inspecting and making sure they were not cracked or warped I had them ceramic coated. The gaskets are from my local auto parts (CarQuest) who had them on hand.

For boost I am expecting 40+. I'll report back on that once we get past the break in period, and I get the thing on a dyno and have the tune dialed in.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Great work and build!!! I expecially love the awesome pics!!!
How much $ have you had to spend so far?
Can't wait to see you get it on the road!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
June 1st, ElDorado Park in LB. Here's the link to the thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-pot-luck.html

Thanks for the info, I looked it up after I read your post.

Chet

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71
Great work and build!!! I expecially love the awesome pics!!!
How much $ have you had to spend so far?
Can't wait to see you get it on the road!!!
Ahh, how much money. That's like asking a woman her age and weight isnt it?

A little premature to say exactly what the costs will end up being as this is a bumper to bumper project, meaning the interior will be addressed, body and paint as well as the entire power plant, electrical system, fuel system, and drive train. Not to mention the performance upgrades which is the more significant part of the costs so far. As for what I have invested thus far, roughly the motor, gauges, all the performance parts and mods, 6.0 intercooler, machine work, prep work, wiring, testing of all items before reinstallation (starter/alternator etc.), ceramic coatings, powder coatings etc. is about $17k, the John Woods Street Performance tranny, 6.0 trans cooler, flexplate, mount...~$8,000.00. The budget for the interior, body and paint is around $7-10k. So overall I hope to have essentially a new Excursion for $32-35k. That's alot of money, and I am working the overtime and taking on other work to help pay for it....but much cheaper than a new F350 which was what I was looking into when I got sticker shock.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gary... when the last bolt is tightened on this project... its going to belong in a museum...

Maybe the museum of modern art?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Injectors and pushrods installed. I think I already mentioned these are Stage 3 Hybrid 238/200 Full Force Diesel Injectors from Clay at RiffRaff. The pushrods are 3/8" Smith Brother 4130 Chromoly.

.25 of a .50cent mod. Knowledge attained form the FTE brotherhood.

I had read about a potential clearance issues in an article in DP Magazine where the shop had to grind the underside of the injector mounting plate on some 7.3 heads when using the ARP head studs. And yes, the short length rods are correctly positioned. In speaking with Clay at RiffRaff and Matt at Full Force Diesel they had not experienced that anomoly nor had they even heard of it happening. As you can see mine are close but we were able to move a feeler gauage under each one.

Lost the "L" bracket for the oil pickup tube support, off to the dealership I go.

Gettinhg there.......

Modified the headlight pockets making ready for the 05 headlamp upgrade.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Gary, were you a surgeon in the past life? Mighty clean work!

Quick Reply: 7.3 Rebuild...the beginning!