1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wonder if it is even worth it anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
woodsmoke
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Wonder if it is even worth it anymore.

When I got my '53 it was a project I wanted to do. It took years and it was worth every minute. I have a good 390 engine and FMX tranny also a 4 speed top loader tranny. Just sitting there. Been looking for some thing to stick it in. Nothing fancy. Just something fun. Then I get to thinking. With the price of gas and still going up. Is it worth throwing money into. I am just an old working stiff. Money don't go as far as it used to. OK. I am though. Let me have it.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Something we all think of for sure. Makes the 300 CID six and OD gearing look pretty good

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it's always worth it!
I'm just building mine here in the UK with a 460/C6.
Our petrol is currently £1.47 per litre.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 AM
bruce h
Junior User
Agree yes its worth it even though our fuel is as normal bloke says £1.47 a litre and about to go up ,, we will soon have our own fuel bowsers following us

hi normal bloke cold innit

bruce

Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
i say, go ahead and do it. who cares how much gas costs? you can't control it. only the politians and rockefellers can change it and they only make it go up. you can only drive one at a time so yer not burning any more. and if you want more zoom then do it. don't let them take your enjoyment of life away. do it and enjoy it!.......i do!

q in 'cuse

Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM
BigBlockMan
Senior User
No, it's not worth it! I'll give you $200 for that old 390/FMX. And I'll be glad to haul that old 4 spd off for you. hahaha

Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every time you stop at a gas station to fill it up and it draws a crowd it will be worth it .

Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
If it will put a smile on your face then it's worth doing.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

We always regret the things we didn't do. Go for it!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You've probably spent more on foolish item's than the fuel that will put a big smile on your face I say go for it.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I've had similar thoughts. The thing is there are alternatives to old iron that can be just as much fun, and there are fewer limitations -- much more driveability. More comfort, more gas mileage, better reliability. Motorcycles, sports cars, muscle cars, etc. You just have to decide where to allocate your resources. If you're rich, you can do them all! I bought my truck wanting a scruffy around-town truck to run to the dump, since then I've changed the mission and strayed far from that. In some ways I wish I'd just stuck with the original mission.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK so you can sit on your butt and get fat or find something to do with you time - ANYTHING you do other than sit on your butt getting fat is going to cost money - I would rather spend my money on Old Cars and Trucks - Oh I'm already fat

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
You could easily spend $1000 on a different engine and drivetrain combo searching for more mpg. How much gas would that buy? Would it really be worth it over the fun value of the 390, that you already have ready to go? Only you can decide that. The auto trans would be a much simpler and cheaper install than the 4 speed. The top loader can be sold for decent bucks that would go a long way to your project's end goal. That would be my plan. My 2c.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:50 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
we all go through periods of doubt brought on by some circumstances . i myself am going through one now brought on by a 4 year period of not accomplishing much then a recent financial hit . the answer though is yes it is worth it . old cars , hot rods , restorations , anything old or even new that has been tweeked too the owners desires is a worthy investment , not financially , but emotionally , and personally . the 390 and four speed may not be the most fuel efficient , but leave an impression on any one who views it and understands old stuff . despite how much power the newer drivelines make they can never give the raw gutterall feel of an older engine period . your fuel costs can be called your monthly car payment , thats how i justified my 53's **** poor mileage from it's flathead and four gear , and even though my 52 customline , flathead powered also , gets better mileage it isn't the greates and doesn't even come close to the efficiency or power of my 95 4.6 bird , it is a sh!^ load more fun too drive and gives me way more smiles per mile than any new car ever will , and more visceral driving pleasure than any newer car . my 53 effie is in pieces but i cannot and will not give up so easily on it and one day despite it all when i can once again turn the key and push the starter button and wheel it down the road it will all be forgotten and i will remember the pleasure of being different and not driving a sheople-mobile !!!!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
homade
Posting Guru
When I built my truck(HOMADE) It was and is a driver, I used what I had at the time which was a LT1 and yes I have heard all the chants on the -hevy motor but I'm building a driver. It was not supposed to get paint, just primer and drive. For me aleast it turned out good and I was loving it when everyone started on me to paint the darn thing, so apart it came and the paint went on. It's been 6 years and showing it but after all it's been a driver since it started and the fun I have had and the people I have met is life changing as you will learn what I am talking about onced you get it on the road.All that being said I say go for it, you will probably never use enough gas to diem the expense of a more efficient engine combo.Best of luck on your build and the sooner the better, Garry

Quick Reply: Wonder if it is even worth it anymore.