Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axles bigger than regular dana pickup axles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
Admittedly being drunk i shall retract my above statements extremely briefly....

Wide d60 and a d135 would be my first choice after 2.5 or 5t rocks if i were dead effin set on bigger than 1-1.25t axles. Np200 would get my vote for tcase and 6bt would be at the top of the list for engines. Trans are questionable. Nv4500 maybe?

Regardless youre talking 12-15k in drivetrain used and 20k new....for what?

I have cdls....i have owned and driven trucks containing all of the above components mentioned as well as maintained every aspect of them. Its not stuff your average guy will ever use to show off in the high school parking lot.
Heck we all get drunk sometimes, .
Those rockwell axles are good for offroading, thats about it.
Too much gear reduction for highway use.
Transmission will be a 6 spd fuller or similar, bolts right on the dt engine, issue free. No adapters.
The dt360 is a far better engine than the 5.9 cummins.
1400$ gets you a complete rebuilt kit.
Reman injectors are 30$.
I was looking at SCS for a transfer case, 4000$ brand new, and probably the best you could possibly buy.

I don't know what the grand total will cost, but it will sure att up, those floater tires are 900$ each.

But let's not forget a new truck is at least 40,000$, and this setup will likely exceed performance and lifespan.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kjett
Agreed

Not really giving a crap, but go ahead and tell him
If I lived in the city, or hauled campers down the highway as a full time thing, agreed, this would be the stupidest idea I ever heard.

Actually, would make a mint tow rig with 19.5" wheels for towing

Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tjc transport
have you ever seen the heavy 4X4 off road rigs the power companies or oil field outfits use? basically the same thing as parkland wants to build.
Pretty near .

I was looking at doing up an older international crew cab, and putting a truck box on it. They're just too damn big, and get 10-11 mpg.

I'm sure I could get at least 15 mpg highway out of an f350 with medium duty drivetrain and proper gearing.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
He never said he wants to build a heavy hauler. He said dd which makes me immediately think of some kid with a pipe dream.

Regardless this thread will never materialize
It will be a daily driver.
Just not a grocery store daily driver; an offroad, crap country road, and oilfield daily driver.

If you fail to see the purpose, you must not drive through the same stuff I do. Thats all.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tjc transport
this "daily driver" he is talking about is a service truck.
he has been researching and planning it for around 6 months now in another forum.
Thats right, on compd., I started it there because I thought those guys would have a wealth of knowledge about the 466 performace over this forum, just cause the dt engines are used more in sled pulling and competition builds.

As it turns out, I'm allowed to keep using my '08 6.4 for work, cause it's got such low mileage on it, company made an exception. (usually 4 years old or newer rule.) So the need to buy or build a newer truck vanished or at least lost momentum.

I know some guys were disappointed that it never got off the ground yet, but I don't know bout all you guys, but I got enough work and projects going on that I'm not spending time and money on something unless there is a need for it.
I'm still doing the research and fishing for opinions, cause it's still likely to happen, just not this very minute, but there will be a time when I need to pull everything together than I learned, and go for it.

At present, the biggest hurdle seems to be the axles.
That is why I started this thread, cause I want to know what brand or type of axles will be a lot beefier than what these trucks come with, but not much if any wider. It is an uphill battle, just needing hydraulic brakes cuts out 90% of them. Then, availability of gear ratios cuts out a few more. Then, front differentials being in the center instead of offset cuts out a few more.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 months of research and planning have yielded you undecided on engine axles transmission and transfercase. Can you tell me what you have decided on aside from the mystical, magical 37" floatation tires that you are apparently coveting? What platform are you building off of? Why do you think rocks are out of the question for a daily driven vehicle? Why do you think 37 floatation tires will be too much for regular 1 ton running gear on bumpy roads?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
6 months of research and planning have yielded you undecided on engine axles transmission and transfercase. Can you tell me what you have decided on aside from the mystical, magical 37" floatation tires that you are apparently coveting? What platform are you building off of? Why do you think rocks are out of the question for a daily driven vehicle? Why do you think 37 floatation tires will be too much for regular 1 ton running gear on bumpy roads?
Platform=2010 or newer f350. Hopefully puchased for cheap with a gas engine or blown diesel.
Engine, trans, driveline , tcase, axles, will all me medium duty stuff. So basically a ford frame and body, and MD stuff bolted on.
I thought about bolting a ford body to MD frame and chassis, but it's way to big and heavy and not required. Ford SD frames are plenty strong for some extra weight and TQ.

The wheels / tires are not easy to learn about or get much information, but heres a few combo's I'd consider:
Chromewheel.com Picture Gallery
Chromewheel.com Picture Gallery

Rockwell axles are out of the question because they have double reduction drives, although I did find some single reduction ones that WOULD have worked, but had air brakes on them.

Regular flotation / mud tires cause extra strain. A friend has burned multiple steering boxes with 37"'s and he's got steering stabilizers and gets alignments all the time.
The soft rubber doesn't agree with big wood splinters and random debris.
I have yet to see one of those floats go flat on any of the water trucks at work. They are tough SOB's.

It's all relative; I know lots of guys running giant mud tires, but not under the same circumstances that I drive on.
The guys I know at work that have lifts and bigger tires fight an uphill battle with repairs. I'm not willing to join that club.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Well I seem to remember running 44x19.5 tires on a D60 and a 10.25 without much issue. And I'm sure I drove it on a lot rougher stuff than a oil field truck.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Well I seem to remember running 44x19.5 tires on a D60 and a 10.25 without much issue. And I'm sure I drove it on a lot rougher stuff than a oil field truck.
Drive over a frost heave in the road at 60 MPH when you don't see it coming.
That was enough to send me running for an alignment shop with stock wheels.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I don't see how that would blow the alignment out of wack.

I drive heavy trucks places that they shouldn't be, over stuff they where not originally designed for. Never had a issue with alignment going bad on them.

On my wheeler, the alignment never went bad, and that was beat to **** bouncing over logs, and all sorts of stuff

Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
If you have the coin to completely upgrade the drivetrain on a 2010+ F350 then why not buy an '10+ f650 4wd and be done with it.

No need to reinvent the wheel because of what you perceive is inadequate.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
What are you going to do about the VSS and ABS stuff?

450 or 550 seems like it would do the job, but I don't drive an oilfield everyday. Even though plenty of oilfield trucks are stock superdutys..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I don't see how that would blow the alignment out of wack.

I drive heavy trucks places that they shouldn't be, over stuff they where not originally designed for. Never had a issue with alignment going bad on them.

On my wheeler, the alignment never went bad, and that was beat to **** bouncing over logs, and all sorts of stuff
Yeah I don't know why these things wear out other than the roads can be really bad, and driving over uneven frozen ground.
I also already have had both axles rebuilt, nothing left of clutch packs.
Next axles will be either non locking, or manual engage full locking.
Steering boxes on the super duty don't really take much abuse either.
Driving on bad roads it don't take long to get a lot of slop in the steering.

So thats why I'm doing what I'm doing... because I'd rather spend money on a cool truck and drive the **** out of it, rather than keep babying this thing and waiting for the next part to wear out.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
If you have the coin to completely upgrade the drivetrain on a 2010+ F350 then why not buy an '10+ f650 4wd and be done with it.

No need to reinvent the wheel because of what you perceive is inadequate.
1st, too fricken huge and heavy.
2nd, good luck finding a 4x4 crew cab under 100,000$
3rd, Not interested in the modern era diesels. Desire something older and simpler.

#3 is a big reason this is a realistic option in my mind, I just dont care for the newer diesels. I also dont want to drive a ratty rusty 80's era truck, so why not gut a nice looking truck use an engine I want, and drive train that will hold up !

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by captain p4
What are you going to do about the VSS and ABS stuff?

450 or 550 seems like it would do the job, but I don't drive an oilfield everyday. Even though plenty of oilfield trucks are stock superdutys..
There are plenty of stock trucks in the oilfield. even 1/2 tons. You either gotta drive really carefully, slow, replace stuff frequently, or put up with sqeuaks and rattles and driving a worn out POS truck.
Basically all I'm trying to do is put a truck together out of parts that will hold up a lot longer and take more abuse.

Good question about the VSS and ABS.
There are several plans I'm looking into.
Might have to ditch ABS system, who knows. Really depends on the axles going in.
Most big trucks also have ABS especially with hydraulic brakes, so shouldn't be a brick wall.
Most likely the F350 ECM will be mostly useless, and won't be able to be used for much at all.

Quick Reply: Axles bigger than regular dana pickup axles...