Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
looks great!!!

Awesome job having the family involved!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 AM
dogman1911
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is a cornucopia of great ideas. Nice looking truck.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those hoods sure are heavy. I wish I had that much help installing mine. Nothing like the modern 25lb hoods.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind posts.

Friday I had some extra time so another spontaneous project. I POR15 my front end. It came out fine but it was sorta ill planed. My first struggle was to get the lid off the can then as I was applying the POR15 I dropped the can on the floor! It took me an hour just to clean up the mess. I was wearing gloves but because of the big mess they got soaked so now I have POR15 protection on my hands.

You can see the nice clean floor under my truck. It took a whole roll of paper towels and a can of brake cleaner to clean up the mess.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
Thanks guys for the kind posts.

Friday I had some extra time so another spontaneous project. I POR15 my front end. It came out fine but it was sorta ill planed. My first struggle was to get the lid off the can then as I was applying the POR15 I dropped the can on the floor! It took me an hour just to clean up the mess. I was wearing gloves but because of the big mess they got soaked so now I have POR15 protection on my hands.

You can see the nice clean floor under my truck. It took a whole roll of paper towels and a can of brake cleaner to clean up the mess.
Doh! I feel for ya man!

FYI... Having previously experienced the welded lid syndrome, I now buy a couple of empty extra quart paint cans to transfer the POR into in case it gets into the lip. At $35 a quart and knowing my sometimes lack of deftness, it made sense to employ an ounce of prevention for the inevitable. I also mark the can "KEEP UPRIGHT!"

Nice work!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Doh! I feel for ya man!

FYI... Having previously experienced the welded lid syndrome, I now buy a couple of empty extra quart paint cans to transfer the POR into in case it gets into the lip. At $35 a quart and knowing my sometimes lack of deftness, it made sense to employ an ounce of prevention for the inevitable. I also mark the can "KEEP UPRIGHT!"

Nice work!
Thanks HIO! That's a really good idea, I'll do that next time because I'm going to have to get another quart of POR. Just a side note I'm planning on replacing the front axle U-joints soon so I will add POR in those places when I have everything apart and then paint.

Day later and I still cant get the stuff off. I've used all the soaps, even used paint thinner, Alcohol, some other stuff with a scull and crossbones and finally brake cleaner (Actually worked the best) I instantly found every cut and hangnail on my hands.

Wife wont let me touch her now.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:31 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Careful, yer not gonna wanna drive that truck if it gets toooooo pretty.

And I'm not sayin' nuttin' about the wife thing.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:16 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Steve,

Truck is looking great as always! Always look forward to your updates.

My truck wants to be like yours when it grows up

Be careful with the POR-15 - it breaks down with UV light. It usually requires a top-coat to protect it.

From their website :

POR-15® PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

POR-15 Inc. brings the powerful technology of polymeric isocyanate derivatives to the consumer rust prevention market for the first time, a technology vastly superior to competing products currently on the market.

POR-15® is easier and less expensive to apply than epoxies, since it doesn't require mixing: and POR-15® dries to a high-gloss or semi-gloss finish just like paint, except that it cannot be scratched or peeled off.

Since POR-15® chemically bonds to metal, the underlying surface does not have to be sanded before application. As long as loose or flaking rust are removed from the surface, an application of POR-15® will not only cover up the rust and prevent it from spreading, but will also strengthen the underlying metal and seal holes by forming its own membranes.

POR-15 is a rust-preventive paint designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from re-occurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight. POR-15 is cured and strengthened by exposure to moisture and will dry faster under extreme humidity, but moderate to dry atmospheric conditions are most desirable when applying this product,because extreme humidity may cause an immediate surface cure, trapping carbon dioxide gas below the surface. When this happens, bubbling may occur. Extreme humidity at the time of application may also interfere with proper adhesion of the POR-15 coating to metal because it's almost impossible to keep metal dry under such conditions.

POR-15® is a paint-like substance which acts as a total rust inhibitor and also very effective as a metal filler. Its consistency is approximately that of paint and it has very good spreadability (one quart covers 96 square feet). POR-15® chemically bonds to rusted steel to form a rock-hard, nonporous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It works by isolating metal from moisture; without moisture present, steel can't rust. Thin, covering coats are best. Apply second coat when first coat is dry to touch with slight "finger-drag" remaining.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great Steve. It's late now but maybe next time you can try this... after you are finished painting with POR, take some saran wrap and cover the opening of the can before you tap the lid back on. I found by doubling the plastic wrap it will allow the lid to be removed when you want to open the can again.

Not really my tip, I read it somewhere and tried it - worked for me. Also storing the un-used portion in a refrigerator will help prolong the shelf life a bit more. I have not tried doing that though cause wifey would probably not like the idea and I don't have a non food ice box in my garage.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
I took home a respectable second place trophy at our local car and truck show last weekend. (3 years in a row now) Around 300 cars participated in the event. I got beat out by a 2015 Dodge truck that was pretty tricked out.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Congrats on the Trophy my friend. Sucks that you were beat out by a new truck though. At least you truck gets 1st place at least from me, if not all of FTE dent fanatics.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Congrats on the Trophy my friend. Sucks that you were beat out by a new truck though. At least you truck gets 1st place at least from me, if not all of FTE dent fanatics.
+1 Steve. Always motivated by seeing your truck.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:32 PM
motorzombie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
I have been posting most of my projects that I have done to my truck on this forum for a few years and I have been somewhat scattered on my postings so I decided to just make one thread for everything I do to Candy Cane. Its a good referance for me as well as anyone else looking for information, tips and guidelines.

Just some brief history (For those new to the forum) I purchased my truck in 2006 on an accidental Craigs List find. I saw it and I just had to have it. It was my High School dream truck, I still have my school binder that says "78 Ford 4x4 Rules!" Although my truck is a 79 I wrote that in late 78 so close enough. My father in law gave me a ride to Lake County (About 130 miles from home) and I paid cash sight unseen. I drove it home and parked in my driveway and left about 2 to 3 quarts of oil on my driveway by the next day.

When I brought it home my wife and kids called it Candy Cane because of the combination Red and White two tone paint. I'm not a big fan of the name but since my lovely wife is the best mother to our children and I love her with all my heart the name stuck.

Here's the original Craigs List add photo taken by the PO.

Since then I have done,
-Replaced top end of the engine (Temp Fix)
-Replaced the engine
-Repaint
-Lift Kit
-Tires,Rims
-Replaced/Repaired interior
-Repaired electrical

I have done countless small to medium sized projects over the years some are posted on the forum. For the first few years I mostly fixed all the leaks and did some minor repairs and upgrades, it was only the last 4 years that I really started to put some serious dough and countless hours into it. Working on my truck has given me focus on a goal and a hobby (Besides working my butt off and raising a family) I really enjoy working on the truck and making improvements. I am also a Snap On Tool junkie, have been for 30 years so it's a great excuse to use the tools that I have collected over the years. My Snap On Tool dealer would agree....

Here's a photo of what Candy Cane looks like TODAY!

Candy Cane is a pretty truck which is the way I want it. I will (And have) taken it out off road but she's not a beater. I will actually get out of my truck to cut branches or clear brush so not to damage the paint. I turn heads with Candy Cane and start conversations almost daily. With the exception of a few modern upgrades the look for my truck is original and period correct as if I walked into the showroom back in 1979 and ordered a 79 F350 Lariat 4x4 with a lift kit.

I have meet some great people here on this forum that share the same passion as I have on these wonderful trucks. You guys are great!

I'll start with what I did today. The new back bumper with the universal mounting brackets didn't quite fit. The bumper sat a tad too low and stuck out. You know what they say about universal fit, they will universally fit nothing.

Before.

I used my new lift to get an exact position for the bumper and made my marks on the brackets and drilled new holes.

Now the bumper sits true and correct.

I ordered some POR 15 to start work on the frame and axels. Also ordered a LED strip to make some courtesy lights and instrument panel lights similar to Ranger429's work. (Thanks Ranger for the great Idea!)
what kind of rims are those I want them for mine???

Old 08-30-2015, 11:03 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by motorzombie
what kind of rims are those I want them for mine???
Sorry for the long delay, I've been busy at work lately. I'm not sure who made the rims, They where a lucky Craigs List find. I can tell you they are old school steel and chrome and 16.5". Makes getting good tires a challenge so someday I may have to replace them. Hopefully that will be a long time as my tires are new.

Wish I had some updates, I have been slammed at work with all the western wildfires going on and everything in between. The Candy Cane gets out every now and then on a weekend. I promise more exciting projects soon.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:22 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Hopefully none of our forum members are in any danger of these fires. Stay safe my friend.

Quick Reply: The Official Candy Cane's Project Thread