Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Questions about some Escapes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
donchele
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about some Escapes...

Good day to all of you, I’m here because I have a couple of questions about my current escape and one I’m about to buy...
1. I’m about to buy an 2009 Ford, Escape XLT 2.5L I4 MPI, Overall, it is in a good shape, But I’m a little concerned about an advice on the dashboard, it displays "oil change needed" (or something like that, I do not remember it exactly), my question is:
Is that advice easy to remove, I know this may be a dumb question, but, does the car only need an oil change to shut it off? Or are there any other issues that can cause this advice to turn on? (The check engine light is off).

2. I own a 2005 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L V6 SFI, it currently has 112000 miles, I’m wondering when should change its Transmission oil (the one on the gearbox)? I have heard that the original one works until the 120,000 miles, it’s that true? Also for this exact model, when should I change the timing chain?

3. Which is the best ford OEM part supplier online? I need to buy some parts for the models above…
Thanks in advance

Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM
tcesni
Elder User
Originally Posted by donchele
Good day to all of you, I’m here because I have a couple of questions about my current escape and one I’m about to buy...
1. I’m about to buy an 2009 Ford, Escape XLT 2.5L I4 MPI, Overall, it is in a good shape, But I’m a little concerned about an advice on the dashboard, it displays "oil change needed" (or something like that, I do not remember it exactly), my question is:
Is that advice easy to remove, I know this may be a dumb question, but, does the car only need an oil change to shut it off? Or are there any other issues that can cause this advice to turn on? (The check engine light is off).

2. I own a 2005 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L V6 SFI, it currently has 112000 miles, I’m wondering when should change its Transmission oil (the one on the gearbox)? I have heard that the original one works until the 120,000 miles, it’s that true? Also for this exact model, when should I change the timing chain?

3. Which is the best ford OEM part supplier online? I need to buy some parts for the models above…
Thanks in advance
The oil change message probably indicates that the previous person who performed an oil change did not reset the oil change monitor. The oil change monitor is part of the information center that includes average mpg, tire pressure, etc. and has to be reset each time the oil is changed. Note that this monitor functions off the odometer and doesn't take into account how the car is being driven so it doesn't shorten the oil change interval if the car is being driven under more stressful condition.

For your other questions, you should be changing your transmission fluid on a regular basis. Most owners of your model go with a change every 30-50,000 miles so you are WAYYYYY past due. Your timing chain should last the life of the car - it is a chain and not a belt.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Tranny fluid change, we do ours every 36,000 and, knock on wood, have had no troubles. I have heard horror stories about people waiting too long then changing it. I have been told if its been in there a while just to leave it or have it opened to clean the unit out.

We are sitting at 260,000 miles and on the original chain with no noise so as tcesni said, you're good.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by donchele
Thanks in advance
I have had great luck using this site. Online prices and local pickup.

https://www.fordparts.com/Login.aspx

I buy most of my non-time critical maintenance parts here. Great prices and service and even with the cost of shipping parts cross-country, I come out ahead by buying in bulk. Helps that I have two vehicles that are virtually identical.

Genuine Ford Parts Seattle | Ford , Hino Truck Parts and Accessories in Seattle | Horizon Ford Area Seattle Ford Dealer

Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
LadyM325
New User
I have 184,000 on my 2004. I hope I get as much as you, especially with the price of cars these days. Anything special you are doing that I should know to do?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Not sure if you're asking me, but we just do all the regular maintenance.
Oil before 5,000 miles
Trans fluid at 36,000
Plugs at 100k or if I am replacing one of the coils on the rear bank
Watch pads/rotors and anything else that can wear out.
If you catch issues early enough they cost a lot less to repair. Just take care of it and it should last a long time.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 AM
LadyM325
New User
Thank you. I have been keeping up with the maintenance until just recently. The miles got away with me. I was confused about my transmission fluid change because the manual never mentioned my model. I finally called the Ford Corporation after getting conflicting reports from different transmission guys. The tech at the corporation told me I have a CD4E and that the fluid only needed to be changed at 150,000. The filter can wait to be changed because it is up in the transmission and will need to be torn out. I read how everyone changes at 36,000. I guess better safe than sorry but I am beyond that point now. Should I do a flush which I read sometimes send crap all thru, or just do a fluid change? I did do a change at 90,000 just in case I was wrong about what I reading. I know I am overdue for the 150,000 change and don't want to continue to mess up. This forum is really informative.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
LadyM, the transmission filter will last the life of the transmission. You do not need to change it on a regular basis. Older transmissions had a tendency to flake some of their clutch material, which then could plug oil passages. Newer transmissions have much better friction materials and adhesives holding things together, making filter changes pointless unless there is catastrophic failure.
I would change the fluid, and I'd use Valvoline Dex/Merc, which is based on synthetic fluid rather than natural from the earth oils. Synthetic can handle more abuse for a longer period of time than natural. You can just have the shop or your mechanic, remove the drain plug and let it drain. I was able to change almost exactly 6 quarts by changing with the fluid cold, but I let it drain overnight. If the fluid does not have a nasty smell, and is still reddish/purplish you should have no problem with a 50% change now, followed by another in a few months.
The stories about transmissions failing after fluid changes should be ignored, IMO. Back when transmissions flaked and destroyed their friction materials, the 'goop' could block ports, valves and lubrication lines. The frictions have not been that way for almost 30 years. If you noticed, AAMCO, one of the largest if not THE largest transmission shops had to add mechanical work to their list of services as the transmission repair business has changed, with transmissions lasting a lot longer than before. The makers have improved them a lot.
tom