1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My headache rack, feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
lablue96
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My headache rack, feedback?

Here are some pictures of my weekend project i wanted to share. I Had a four day weekend and decided it was time to get me a headache rack. I wanted to make it myself because i could control how high it went, i don't like them to stick out so far past the cab.
this was my original idea, to just have a frame with heavy gauge tubing with a cut out for the third brake light.

After searching online i found a picture from a spyder headache rack and i liked it. i modified mine and decided if i did something similar i could use smaller gauge tubing wich is what i wanted.

Plus it gave me the idea to make a rear rack too that it is just 9" high, it just gives me enough room to clear the things i have in the bed, but it doesn't stick out too high

Right now I have everything is cut and ready to weld, i'll be staying up late tonght hoping i can have it n the truck by tomorrow. I'm planning on later adding some lights but for now i just need it to to be functional and help me carry long material for work without having to rest it on the cab. i'll add some pictures on the truck later. I had tons of fun making this, what do you guys think?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I've made one similar, but on the outside of the frame I boxed it with plate. Only 1/8th but it helps to give it a finished look.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 AM
srteach
Elder User
suggestion:
Brace the inner bar at the outside corners. A short section of tubing from the larger to the smaller will work. Having welds at 90* will allow that inner bar to wobble and, over time, break welds.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
looks good. i need to buy or make one soon. i definitely want to put lights on mine and would like to be able to move the lights around. i was thinking of using aluminum unistrut and fabbing up some light mounts that would allow me to slide the lights around in the strut... due to lack of free time, though, i'll probably just buy one and drill someholes for lights. first i have to save up some money...

anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by srteach
suggestion:
Brace the inner bar at the outside corners. A short section of tubing from the larger to the smaller will work. Having welds at 90* will allow that inner bar to wobble and, over time, break welds.
This is the second reason I did it the way I did. Gussets are really necessaru especially if you ever plan to strap off to your rack.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Waiting to see the finished product

Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Waiting to see the finished product
Me too - looks like you are on the right track though. Post soon

Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM
lablue96
Senior User
Originally Posted by glovemeister
I've made one similar, but on the outside of the frame I boxed it with plate. Only 1/8th but it helps to give it a finished look.
Thanks guys, I was planning to get some plate between the inside and outside frame at the corner and down the side to brace them together and make it rigid. This will also give me a place to attach some loops/ hooks to tie off from.
I'll certainly will get some pictures up when it's on the truck. Didn't get as much done as I hoped. Probably until next weekend i'll have it done and on the truck. It'll give me time to decide wether i should paint it black or go with a silver color. originally i was planning on just using that duplicolor brush on bed liner. i'll keep pondering on the color from now until then

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
lablue96
Senior User
It's ready for paint, hopefully it'll be on the truck by the weekend. i got two white back up lights coming that i'm planning on putting on between the inner and outer bars at the top. hopefully my spray can paint job will turn out ok, i'm usually horrible with spray cans.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks good.

The trick is DONT try to make the paint cover in one are two coats. Do several coats

Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Looks great!

is there going to be expanded steel grating filling the inside? or will that just screw on?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good! Nice job. Have you decided on the color yet? You've got me wanting to build one now! LOL!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Looks great. I'm going to have to build one and match the color to my white truck, but for now I'm gonna rock the ugly one off my 6.0l...

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Mr.Dilac7.3
Junior User
Looks amazing! But how long did it take you to fabricate? I am wanting to do the same so I just need to find the time with this dang medic class. Also, how do you plan to mount it? are you just bolting to the bed, or running it down to the trucks frame?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
lablue96
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
Looks great!

is there going to be expanded steel grating filling the inside? or will that just screw on?
No, it'll be open all in the middle, clear view through the window, i mainly needed the rack just to carry planks and when we are moving material longer than 10 feet. I hated laying stuff on my cab.

I ended up just painting it black, using spray on bed liner, it turned out good i think, it's been sitting in our storage room curing, instructions said it's cure time is about 48 hrs. it's ok now im getting ready to go install it.

It's just going to install by bolting to the bed and into the side pockets. i'lll take some pictures of how it bolts

Mr.Dilac7.3
It took me two weekend to build, but it wasn't so hard, I just have two little ones and they always seem to be in what I'm doing, I don't mind it just takes longer. My five year old thought it was the coolest thing to see me weld. Yes I had an extra mask she was using. If I were to say the grinding took the longest. Next time i'll take more time and make sure my welds are nicer so I could only grind the outside and leave the inside corners like they are, but I like it how it looks with all the welds smoothed out

My little Helpers

Quick Reply: My headache rack, feedback?