1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Bozworth
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another vote for the peel&seal here.
Check your local roofing supply store. The one I bought mine from had a few different thicknesses and backings.

I picked up a 36sq ft roll (12" wide x 36' long) for $33, and I've done half my cab with just that. I'm probably going to need another 1/2 - 3/4 of a roll to finish. Once I got it stuck in place I went over each piece with a small plastic wheel on a handle. (a wheel off a bed frame to be exact...about 3/4" wide, and I made sure to roll every inch of each section.)

Temperature during application wasn't a factor for me here in Texas. I think it was 85 degrees in January when I applied the bulk of it.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Kinda funny to me, how we are automotive enthusiasts and nobody wants to smell tar or asphalt....really????? I love me some 90wt in my coffee!
That does it. Everybody who attends Flatlander Event will be required to sniff my interior and verify it does not smell like tar, asphalt, or any other product used in road construction.

Now watch me blow a rear main seal on the way there and have oil dripping off my headliner on arrival.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
To blow a rear main and, regardless, make the trip..
..swamp stank would be forgivable. Bad swamp stank.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Originally Posted by hobbs53
Hey guys......did some reading on the por-15.....sounds like something i should do prior to the sound insulation. the floor has a fair amount of surface rust (mixed in with painted/bare spots.....anyone used this.....looks like something i should do.
Thoughts?
Thanks guys!
My plan was to put down a first coat and follow up with a second coat with the micro-***** as a thick layer just where is was needed.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
After answering your post, I kind of thought about that myself. Let us know how it works out if you do it.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowes Peel and Stick verses the high price Dynomat and other specialty coverings. Has anyone had a bad experience using the Lowes Peel and Stick? Have you ripped it our becasue of the smell and did it over again with a higher price product?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Wmrdalydvm
Freshman User
I've used Auto-mat purchased off ebay on 4 cars so far. Works great and is easy to install reasonably priced as well. Only downside is that it is 1/4" fiberglass covered with a tough mylar film so if you get itchy with the glass you will be uncomfortable.
look for seller dossmightymatt on ebay
here is a copy of the info on their site

AUTO-MAT tm

HEAT - COLD - SOUND

Auto-mat is a mechanically bonded glass fiber insulation blanket of uniform density with excellent thermal and acoustical properties. Auto-mat offers superior performance in operating temperatures up to 1200ºF.

Great for using as a padding under your carpet!!!

Although I knew from my own experience this product worked beyond my wildest dreams, many people have ask for the 'R' value and heat transfer numbers using this insulation. This exact information was not available from the manufacturer so I made the following test and was amazed at how effective this insulation really is. In one of my cars I recorded the temperature on the engine side of the firewall, just behind the exhaust manifold to be 174 degrees while the temperature on the firewall at the same spot, inside the car was just 69 degrees. The outside temp that day was 67 degrees. Since this is only 2 degrees higher I assumed something was wrong with my testing equipment. Next I used my wife's clothes iron. Turning it as high as it would go, about 240 degrees, I placed the insulation about 1 inch from the iron and the temp just went up about 2 degrees. Still not believing what I saw I placed a sheet of the insulation directly on the iron with my hand and was amazed to experience so little heat transfer that I could press the insulation hard against the iron without burning my hand. I placed 2 sheets of the insulation on the iron and
could not feel any heat. Too good to be true? This insulation is fantastic.

Characteristics
  • Low thermal conductivity at temperatures to 1200° F
  • Good drapeability - Conforms to irregular surfaces
  • U.L. Listed - 0 - flame spread, 0 - smoke generated
  • Non-respirable, 9 micron filament diameter
  • Excellent vibration resistance, will not powder
  • Excellent sound absorption properties
  • Non-alkaline (<0.01%)
  • Low chlorides and fluorides
  • Will not contribute to metal corrosion
  • Odorless-will not absorb odors-clean
  • Will NOT decay, rust, or sustain mold or vermin
  • Resists moisture absorption and mildew
  • Foil backing is very durable
  • Light weight, 1/8th lb. (02.1oz.) per square foot.
  • Completely made in the USA

If you order more than one piece we will ship a continuous roll whenever possible. That will allow you to cut the exact size you need.

Selling one (1) sheet, 4' by 6', 24 square feet, of fiberglass insulation with foil backing. It is 1/4" thick and conforms easily to any shape. This is a chance to get the best of the best for much less than what is being sold in the retail market.

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY OTHER'S CLAIMS OF WHAT MATERIAL IS USED IN THEIR INSULATION. ASK BEFORE YOU BUY. WE WILL BE HAPPY TO SEND A SAMPLE. THE INSULATION HAS NO BUBBLE WRAP AIR POCKETS. OUR INSULATION IS 100% FIBERGLASS MAT WITH ALUMINUM FOIL BACKING. BE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE BEST. BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. AS STATED IN OUR LISTING, 100 % SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. WE HONESTLY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS.

It is easy to cut with scissors or utility knife, really works great and also looks good. We use this product on the floors, firewall, door panels, trunk, roof, hood, pipes and any other interior areas that need to be insulated.
All payments must be by PayPal.
WE HONESTLY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
Lowes Peel and Stick verses the high price Dynomat and other specialty coverings. Has anyone had a bad experience using the Lowes Peel and Stick? Have you ripped it our becasue of the smell and did it over again with a higher price product?
I have been running the peel and stick in my 1978 F250 for 9 or 10 years and ~175K. I noticed no smell and have had zero problems with it. We ordinarily get >30 days over 100* in the summer.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Scot.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Subscribing

Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 PM
jonesa49f1
Freshman User
Okay have to be the guy to beat the dead horse one more time and see if anyone has found anything new that works good to soundproof. I am ready to do this and I have a plan down to use the ice and water shield(because I do construction and I can get it for a good cost ) on the floor, firewall and ceiling first and then get the sticky back foundation insulation to go on top of that.

Thanks in advance and cant wait to her what you guys are up to.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 PM
fking1
Elder User
From the 2nd post on this thread, Frost King from Home Depot. Made for wrapping hot water heaters. Dynamat is good but costly.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Suggest that those interested in this topic take a look here... Soundproofing Walls, Ceilings and Windows
While not specifically directed at the automotive industry, physics is physics. There have been many "apples to oranges" comparisons in this thread, hopefully a little homework will clarify the issue and make the choice for a solution more clear.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Just started installing Dynamat on my 56. The stuff is impressive. I've done one side of the tank(still behind the bench) if you rap it with your knuckles, it sounds like it's full of sand. I'm doing everything with it, the back of the heater, heater ducts, the whole shebang. Yes it's pricey, but it's not THAT expensive over the cost of the project. I've used cheaper sound deadeners before in a bigger project(VW Camper) and there is no comparison. Much as I like my 56, I don't want it to sound or drive like a 50's farm truck.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
I've got the Peel-n-Seal from Lowe's all over the floor of my '54 and I've got reflectix bubble/foil contact cemented everywhere else - including the roof. I did my '40 Coupe the same way - very happy - and the Peel-n-Seal survived in Albuquerque summers, so that's enough proof for me.

Quick Reply: sound insulation