1997 F350 460 desmog, trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
headleyj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F350 460 desmog, trouble codes

I have a 1997 F350 with a 460 and e4od with 116k on it. I bought it last summer and have been working on it on and off. It was previously partially desmogged – new manifolds were put on and they plugged the ports on where the EGR tubes go into the manifolds. In my tinkering I thought I found a valve cover gasket leak so I began removing the EGR tubes to gain access to the valve covers. I then discovered it did’t need VC gaskets and the oil leak was elsewhere. So I decided to leave all that stuff off.

Now, I didn’t drive the truck much when I first got it cause it needed balljoints so I don’t know if this happened ALWAYS or if it’s because of the EGR tube removal but here’s what happening:
1. If you have to get on the gas a little bit to either go up a hill or pull out on the highway 2 things happen
a. Very hard shifting from 1st-2nd gear I DO remember it shifting hard from 1-2 when I test drove it and no CEL came on.
b. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd I will almost ALWAYS get a CEL, however, shut truck off and restart it and it’s gone. No OD light flashing
2. Also sometimes I get what seems like a miss/ engine cutting out. It has happened at idle, going down the highway, engine cold, engine warm. When it happens going down the highway it sounds like the engine just shuts off for a split second, then comes back to life at same RPM and BAM! A real hard thud, like a hard shift, but it’s not actually shifting gears.

So a buddy pulled the codes for me last night:
311 – Thermactor air system inoperative (right side)
332 – EGR Valve opening not detected
538 – Insuffecient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test/ Operator error (This one went away the 2nd time we ran the test)
Code 10 – snap throttle (think this one went away 2nd time we ran it too, but can’t swear to it)

QUESTIONS
311 – What the hello is a thermactor and what does it do?
332 - I would expect the 332 code as the EGR valve is gone (if its what I think it was – a valve inline with the tubes I removed laying on the R valve cover). Any way to fake it out?
Misc 1 – Is the hard shifting a stand-alone problem or is it related to the above codes somehow?
Misc 2 – What the heck is it cutting out for? Is it actually cutting out or what? Feels like a lack of fuel kinda thing, but it has a new fuel filter. Maybe fuel pump is going bad? IDK.

Any thoughts or experiences here are greatly appreciated. Oh and when “we” (wife) cleaned out the garage the old EGR tubes magically disappeared – she says she doesn’t remember them, but I know better.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
headleyj
Junior User
Something just occurred to me. When I changed the fuel filter I never bled the fuel lines afterwards. That was months ago though, there wouldn't still be air in the lines would there?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
The Thermactor is the fancy name for your air pump. If it is still installed it is located beneath the alternator. I removed mine and have never seen a 311. This still should not cause any problems, but just make sure your ports on the manifolds are all plugged.

The EGR code is normal for not having it hooked up, and with your computer and no chip, you will always get this code. This will not cause any problems.

As for the last two, my initial guess is an electrical problem with the tranny.

I am not a go to guy for this, but if you haven't done so already, check the following.
-Make sure your EGR port is blocked off on the intake, and both manifolds
-Make sure the air injection ports are blocked off, or if they are still hooked up, make sure that they are not leaking(especially the line to the cat)
-check for vacuum leaks(lots of places for this to occur)
-check your fuel pressure at the rail(make sure you have consistent pressure while running)