6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DPF "ON" MiniMaxx install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Oh yeah by the way, after your write up now I want one. Thanks Man!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,068 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Update: I have had two regens since installing the MM. The first one was 650 miles and was mainly county road drive it like I stole it driving. The last one was yesterday at 595 and this was mainly city driving. So far the regen cycles seem further apart, but I didn't track it to be honest. I'm pleased.

Still very happy with the addition

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, thanks for the update, Im curious if your not keeping the DPF cleaner by running a little hotter, not leaner. Nice video, Epic style. He should post a video on how to make a video. Must have some editing software and skill. We all have talent, that is why we drive Fords. Yep, the mini is mini. Wonder if you can feed the video out to a bigger screen. I suppose they are trying to keep the price down. If you tow your Jayco this summer post your feeling about how it added or subtracted from that experience, looks like it weighs as much as my toyhauler. I would be afraid of using it during towing, but I was also hesitant to put a tow tune into my 6.0L, but when I did, I fell in love with the tuner (a sct) and always ran the heavy tow tune Matt made for us. Mike

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
I had 8500# behind it on Saturday but not for very long. Had the MM in tow mode as well as the truck. Felt in the H&S tow mode, the truck is only slightly modified (40hp increase). You notice it, but it's not earth shattering like in performance mode. I do plan on using it with the 5th wheel this summer. I never noticed a time when I didn't feel like I had enough power before towing, but I kind of like having more available.

I also feel like the truck running slightly hotter is helping with passive regens. I wish I had tracked regens before the install. I could tell then. I don't even know how much hotter it is running due to the closest pyro to the turbo being way down the line at the start of the DPF. There is way too many variable affecting the temps and it just isn't accurate at all. I suspect it's running a little hotter, but it's just logic telling me that.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I had 8500# behind it on Saturday but not for very long. Had the MM in tow mode as well as the truck. Felt in the H&S tow mode, the truck is only slightly modified (40hp increase). You notice it, but it's not earth shattering like in performance mode. I do plan on using it with the 5th wheel this summer. I never noticed a time when I didn't feel like I had enough power before towing, but I kind of like having more available.

I also feel like the truck running slightly hotter is helping with passive regens. I wish I had tracked regens before the install. I could tell then. I don't even know how much hotter it is running due to the closest pyro to the turbo being way down the line at the start of the DPF. There is way too many variable affecting the temps and it just isn't accurate at all. I suspect it's running a little hotter, but it's just logic telling me that.
Help me understand, brother. When you say running hotter, do you mean temperature of the engine, or running hotter like as in "hotter than a raped ape" hotter? I assume you mean engine temps are hotter which would help with the regens. Why would the temp run hotter with a tuner? Don't flame me, I'm not gettin it.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
I mean the exhaust gas temps are hotter because the tuner is throwing more fuel at the engine because I can't keep my foot off the accelerator...lol. I believe the hotter EGT's are allowing more passive regens to take place which is allowing the DPF soot level to not build up quite as quickly. I haven't noticed any change in oil or water temps. They seem to be the same as always. Again...I'm speculating on the EGT's being hotter. I can run the truck in stock mode and monitor the EGT's being cooler as compared to driving in performance mode, but the reading is affected by too many conditions. I think the EGT's are slightly hotter, but not too high. So far it has proven to be a good thing.

Why would I flame you for asking that? I think it was a pretty good question myself

Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I paid for ESP and I talked to my dealership. Provided the problem wasn't a direct result of the tuner, they are fine with it. It's risk, no doubt about it. They did ask that I remove the tuner before I bring it in for service as they don't want it in there. They want it back to stock.

You add power and historically, parts break. That being said...I'm not a punk kid that's going to beat the snot out of my truck all the time. It's nice to have the extra power and the cleaned up shifting is very nice.
I have had my truck in with the banks 6 gun on it and the monitor (IQ) right there with no problems either.

the one time they replaced my high pressure turbo with it still there..they even hooked it back up when done.

Just be honest ahead of time.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
I have had my truck in with the banks 6 gun on it and the monitor (IQ) right there with no problems either.

the one time they replaced my high pressure turbo with it still there..they even hooked it back up when done.

Just be honest ahead of time.
Mine asked that I remove it just because of the the truck has to be flashed back to stock because they have had a few trucks dead in the service bay until the unlock code could be input by the owner. Darren had it happen to him after a PCM change, so I can see it then, but not for normal stuff. I just want to follow their guidelines. I'm cool with it...no big deal.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mean the exhaust gas temps are hotter because the tuner is throwing more fuel at the engine because I can't keep my foot off the accelerator...lol. I believe the hotter EGT's are allowing more passive regens to take place which is allowing the DPF soot level to not build up quite as quickly. I haven't noticed any change in oil or water temps. They seem to be the same as always. Again...I'm speculating on the EGT's being hotter. I can run the truck in stock mode and monitor the EGT's being cooler as compared to driving in performance mode, but the reading is affected by too many conditions. I think the EGT's are slightly hotter, but not too high. So far it has proven to be a good thing.

Why would I flame you for asking that? I think it was a pretty good question myself
I actually had that very statement in my original question and removed it so I didn't sound like a ********. LOL That's funny.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by marchare011
I actually had that very statement in my original question and removed it so I didn't sound like a ********. LOL That's funny.
Ron...you crack me up. Next time leave it in there... It's more fun that way.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the reasons I am so happy with the 6.7 vs. the 6.4 I had is this passive regen. As y'all know, I run long distances with my lil trailer and I can honestly tell you my truck does active regens maybe once every two weeks, possibly even less. My 6.4 would do it every 1/4 tank. Didn't bother me, drove fine, but doing an active regen 4-8 times each day was crazy.

Also, with the way I drive, it is the best possible scenario for longevity of the DPF. The one on my 6.4 was in "like new" condition when I had 120,000 miles on it. Both my diesel tech and myself were very curious about it one day since it was a new concept back then so we took it off and looked at it.

So, I don't really have a point to make here, just blabbing. These second gen. DPF diesels are really much better than the first for lots of reasons. Those of you itching to get a '13 ram will probably see a very nice cummins too.....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM
02transam
Senior User
was hoping for a before and after 0-60 run on video.. :-( .... lol

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 02transam
was hoping for a before and after 0-60 run on video.. :-( .... lol
I can do that when the weather improves. What do you want the video to shoot? The dash? The minimaxx or out the windshield? It's sleeting out now, but when the roads are dry, I'll do my best. I'm not Epic though...he's the man

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
02transam
Senior User
I can do that when the weather improves. What do you want the video to shoot? The dash? The minimaxx or out the windshield? It's sleeting out now, but when the roads are dry, I'll do my best. I'm not Epic though...he's the man
It would be cool if you could setup multiple cams. Maybe shoot the speedo and have someone else take a video from passenger seat. Also, a flyby at wot would be cool. I think ill stop there. Getting all giddy like a school boy. LoL.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 02transam
It would be cool if you could setup multiple cams. Maybe shoot the speedo and have someone else take a video from passenger seat. Also, a flyby at wot would be cool. I think ill stop there. Getting all giddy like a school boy. LoL.
I have one camera (my phone). I might be able to grab my wife's phone and shoot multiple angles, but the fly by isn't going to happen likely. I'll see what I can do when the weather improves...more snow last night.

Quick Reply: DPF "ON" MiniMaxx install