Sponsored by:

I think I've been had

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racinrandall
The bike I traded was a 2004 Aprilia RSV 1000R Factory. A high end Italian rocket. The only reason I got rid of it was because even after back surgery I am still in massive pain and don't think I will recover enough to enjoy the bike. Here it is with my son when I first got it a little over a year ago.
If you sold the bike for cash today, how much would it be worth?

This determines how badly you got taken.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM
racinrandall
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
If you sold the bike for cash today, how much would it be worth?

This determines how badly you got taken.
I had it on Craigslist for a while and it wasn't selling which is why I traded. No one wants a high end sport bike in the winter. But with the problems I was having with my BMW, I needed another vehicle to drive to work.

KBB puts the value of the bike between $6000 and $9000. I would guess with the condition of my bike it would be near the higher end of that range.

So yeah I got had pretty good.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Just an fyi. Turn the key to "on" but don't start. Every lamp should come on briefly. No need to pull panel apart to find bulb missing! Prioritz the issues and gradually work them out. In the end you will have an ex in great shape and you'll know things are right! Welcome to fte and the ex club.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM
racinrandall
Freshman User
Yeah I knew about all the lights coming on, that is how I know the brake light isn't working in the dash... hopefully just a burnt out bulb.

I found the air bag light bulb missing because I had cluster out looking for loose wires on backside.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM
racinrandall
Freshman User
I climbed under the truck and was going to pull the stock muffler and replace it with something a little more meaty. When I got things pulled out I found the exhaust tail pipe was rusted through. It looks like MORE money I get to spend YAY!!

There is NO way this truck ACTUALLY PASSED Virginia State inspection back in September as the sticker says.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just looked and nothing is disconnected under the dash so I will be ordering a clockspring, thanks Sunline

It seems like the fan controls only work on high so I have to look into that anyway. The factory radio has been removed but it originally had the audio controls in the rear seat so I thought I might be able to find that plug under the dash and re-route to the steering wheel.
What I'm saying is that it probably needs a new air bag not a clock spring. Did you ever see an airbag? Check to see what the code says. I had this same problem on a Ford van and I covered the light with tape until I sold it but code said something else......long time ago but not the clock spring.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I had it on Craigslist for a while and it wasn't selling which is why I traded. No one wants a high end sport bike in the winter. But with the problems I was having with my BMW, I needed another vehicle to drive to work.

KBB puts the value of the bike between $6000 and $9000. I would guess with the condition of my bike it would be near the higher end of that range.

So yeah I got had pretty good.
Waste of time selling a bike in the winter.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I could pull the cluster out and unscrew the bulb much quicker and with a lot less tools than pulling the airbag and steering wheel to replace the clock spring. Probably 20-30 minutes to pull the bulb and reassemble vs about an hour to change the clock spring.
What I'm saying is that he went to a lot of trouble to get rid of that light so I think it's more that a clock spring and he would have gone there first. (Made a simple fix instead).

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is NO way this truck ACTUALLY PASSED Virginia State inspection back in September as the sticker says.
Friends and family. If you know the right person you can get an inspection sticker on anything.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM
racinrandall
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EXv10
What I'm saying is that it probably needs a new air bag not a clock spring. Did you ever see an airbag? Check to see what the code says. I had this same problem on a Ford van and I covered the light with tape until I sold it but code said something else......long time ago but not the clock spring.
It only takes about 10-15 minutes to take the dash out and remove the light bulb. Replacing the clockspring takes what about an hour? And if you have NO idea what the problem is and don't have the diagnostic equipment or knowledge of the system then it is easier to just fool your customer even if it is an easy fix.

Originally Posted by EXv10
Waste of time selling a bike in the winter.
I knew I would have a hard time selling the bike but NEEDED to get a truck so I could work out the issues and get some things done here around the house before I get medically separated and move across country.

Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Friends and family. If you know the right person you can get an inspection sticker on anything.
I ran the Carfax as I stated earlier... This guy isn't the one that got it inspected. He bought the truck in October and the inspection was done in September. He got it from American Auto Auction. There is no slip from the inspection and the back of the sticker was never filled out.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Bike looks nice I would have traded my X for it lol. OP, you still need to add your location.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
racinrandall
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Bike looks nice I would have traded my X for it lol. OP, you still need to add your location.
I wish I had got a better deal on the trade. I love that bike but just couldn't enjoy it.

I will add my location as soon as I figure out how to set all my preferences.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Just saw your pictures on FB, the Ex is looking better with the factory tail lights! Looks to me like you're in need of some V-code front springs. My bump stops weren't completely gone like yours, but they weren't far from that. I don't think I've hit my stops since I put in the new springs!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
racinrandall
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Just saw your pictures on FB, the Ex is looking better with the factory tail lights! Looks to me like you're in need of some V-code front springs. My bump stops weren't completely gone like yours, but they weren't far from that. I don't think I've hit my stops since I put in the new springs!
I'm still deciding between the V/B and X/C spring combo. I really needs them, almost more than it needs the tires!!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Is there any particular reason you think you'd need X-codes? The v-code springs are rated for 5,200 lbs at the ground, and my front axle weighs 3,500 lbs empty with a full tank. I've hit lots of hard bumps since the install and I don't think I've come close to the stops. Unless you were planning on adding over 1,000 lbs to your front end I wouldn't go near the X-code springs. I'm very happy with my V-codes, but they do ride noticeably stiffer. Much more and it would be uncomfortable.

And I chose to install airbags in the rear instead of upgrading the springs. This way I determine stiffness by the amount of air pressure I have in the bags. So I can have 20 PSI and level the rear, or pump them up to 100 PSI and add 5,000 lbs of support to the rear end. Right now I have 1,000 lbs of sand in the back of my X, and with 50 PSI it's level with the front; which is noticeably higher riding than the stock springs.

I can't recommend air bags enough, I have as much capacity as I like without sacrificing ride quality when empty.

Quick Reply: I think I've been had