Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to ford. need help on swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
cmentzer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation new to ford. need help on swap.

hey guys i currently have an 87 f150 4x4 with the 4.9 I6 4 spd. manual. right now the temp gauge doesn't work, the front tank doesn't work, the guage for the back tank doesn't work, i have 2 coolant leaks coming from god only knows where, I'm leaking oil from the rear main., and the slave cylinder is shot. I'm thinking of doing a 5.0 auto. swap... is it worth it? what all do i need? is the transfer case the same for all motor set ups? is the current axle usable? i would like to know everything i need be for i bother stressing about buying all the parts to do the swap i would like as much info as i can get. weather it be hearsay or personal exp. all the help is greatly appreciated

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 992 Likes on 783 Posts
The 5.0 is an upgrade if the truck has at least 3.55 gears, anything less and you'll hating it more than you do now. For this swap you'll want a donor truck ideally because there are a lot of parts to change.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
cmentzer
New User
what kind of parts are we talking?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motor mounts, radiator, exhaust system, engine wiring harness, computer, and those are just the obvious ones.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
What are you planning on doing with the truck? That will make a big difference in what would be best to do. Along with your personal preferences of course.

Some of the things you mentioned will have to be fixed whether or not you swap drivelines, like the fuel issues.

If you decide to convert the truck you will also need in addition the parts already listed, the steering column, shift indicator out of the dash, guage cluster, linkage, driveshaft, crossmember, clutch safety switch jumper, etc....

Also, it would make sense to replace the gaskets, seals and freeze plugs in the engine you are swapping in, the same parts that would fix the problems you have with your current engine.

It will cost you more, a whole lot more to switch the driveline. The cost of the donor truck right off the top, plus whatever it takes to straighten out the problems its driveline and/or associated components have (and you will find problems), and a lot more time and effort, this isn't a weekend project.

The 4.9 is a pretty good engine, there is no reason to replace it with a 302 unless you want to add a bunch of performance parts. Even then, given the situation that you want to replace the entire driveline you would be better off selling the truck you have and getting one that already has what you want.

If it were me I would take a compression test on the engine you have. If that is ok, I would plan on pulling the engine and resealing it, I would also do the freeze plugs and oil pump. This will cost about $200 with an oil change.

While you have the engine out you can also replace the slave cylinder (assuming that is the issue and not something else) without much extra effort. You might have to, or want to, replace the clutch assembly and pilot bearing while you are there unless they are in really good shape.

This could all reasonably be done in a weekend depending on your setup, motivation and parts availability.

It would be a lot cheaper and a lot less work than pulling 2 drivelines and reinstalling one plus changing a whole laundry list of other parts. Parts that will most likely have issues and will need more time/money.

Oh, and the hole in your floor too - might be able to switch out the removable hump if both trucks have them, but you have to pull out some of your interior to switch those.

Also, when you have the engine out, for whatever reason, its a good time to replace the ac evaporator. Its pretty easy to change with the engine out, not so easy with it in.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
cmentzer
New User
I'm not exactly sure what i want to do yet. i was thinking about it today and once i get a car to transport the new addition to the family in. i guess i should just pull the 300 and just rebuild it since it will only be used when i need it. thanks for the help on making up my mind lol.