1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE Sway Bar End Link Replacement with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
So where is all the sloppy bolt problem issues and pictures (the real problem). I can throw all new sway links in anytime with no press.
Or a simple hey nice job on the write up and thanks for spending so much time and detail showing people that have never done this how to do it would probably work to.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I replaced mine with high quality Dorman complete links for $20 each........fast and good.

Where did you get these? Rock Auto? I'm not happy with my Energy Suspension bushings - they still rattle.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,429 Likes on 1,799 Posts
While the write up mostly intended to discus replacing the factory stabilizer end link as an entire assembly using Ford parts with enhanced bushing protection, I did indeed show and tell pressing out the dilapidated bushings from the original links.

It was just too interesting to ignore, and the old links came to me courtesy of my friend and most helpful FTE member timf150. And they came to him courtesy of another unknown to me FTE member. My own endlink membranes were cracked and torn, but not as trashed as the end links I posted in the pictures. So the pics of my own endlinks lie on the cutting room floor, making way for the more dramatic carnage to be shown to you.

I had no idea they could get that messed up, and it seems probable that another newbie might come along in the future with a new to him/her Superduty, that might benefit from being better informed about another thing to look out for under the truck.

Since I did bring up pressing (or heating and beating) out the bushings, I've gone ahead and researched a full follow up on that method of fixing the problem. There is a dizzying variety of options for fixing the end links that range from reusing the end links and replacing just the bushings themselves, to replacing the entire end links.

To make an easily searchable reference resource on sway bar end links, I've just now put together a comprehensive list of all the options I could find, and am sharing this list with the FTE community, in the same spirit that Tim, who gave me the old links to putter with in the first place, might do if he had the time. I didn't have the time that this list ended up consuming, but since I put my foot in it by bringing up pressing out the bushings, I'll follow up on that by providing a list of options for folks in the future who wish to go that route.

Please note that while every effort was made to ensure the accuracy of the data I have gathered, organized, and posted below, the data is confined to only cover model years 1999 -2004. While some part numbers may also apply to 2005-2007, 2008-2010, or 2011 and beyond model years, I have not investigated those newer applications. In many instances, I have noted differences between early 1999 models versus 2000-4 model years, because of the 1999 model year has close similarities yet slight distinctions.

The list is in two parts:

A. OPTIONS TO REPLACE EYELET BUSHINGS ONLY (this post)
B. OPTIONS TO REPLACE ENTIRE END LINKS (a subsequent post)

No comment is even being attempted to be made regarding "which option is best". I leave that entirely up to the reader to research and determine for themselves. I just think it is helpful enough to have, all the brands, part numbers, kit contents, and price ranges in one master list to make the research for the future FTE member easier. Without further ado...

Part A:

OPTIONS TO REPLACE BUSHINGS ONLY:

Manufacturer: SACHS, (OEM supplier and Division of ZF, manufacturer of major automotive chassis components like transmissions)
Part Number: W0133-1903311
Quantity Required: Four (4)
Estimated Price Range: $27.00 to $39.00 each (x4)
Product Notes: Appear identical to Ford's. Sachs could be Ford's OEM.
Vehicle Applications: 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May or may not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links.
Product Description: An articulating metal bushing encapsulated with grease captured by rubber membranes retained by purple colored wound wire clips.

Brand Name: AC/DELCO (Not the manufacturer. These are rebranded parts from another supplier, likely associated with Raybestos, below)
Part Number: 45G0335
Quantity Required: One (1)
Estimated Price Range: $17.76 to $34.82
Vehicle Applications: 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May or may not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers. (No metal sleeve bushings are included, as the kit uses shoulder bolts in all four positions instead, unlike the 1999 only kit described immediately below)

Brand Name: AC/DELCO (Not the manufacturer. These are rebranded parts from another supplier, likely associated with Raybestos, below)
Part Number: 45G0334
Estimated Prices: $12.66 to $27.41 (Only $12.66 for everything!)
Vehicle Applications: Early 1999 to 1999.5 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: Will NOT fit 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion. See AC/DELCO 45G0335 above instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 2 shoulder bolts, 2 flange nuts, 2 washers, 2 metal sleeve bushings for re-utilizing 2 existing bolts, and tops it all off with getting that (music plays) "Great GM fee-e-e-ling..." from fixing the Ford (music continues)"...with Genuine GM Parts!" (ajingle from 30 years ago.)

Manufacturer: RAYBESTOS
Part Number: 5451335
Estimated Price Range: $25.12 to $29.03
Application Restrictions: May not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB,
incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers. (No metal sleeve bushings are included, as the kit uses shoulder bolts in all four positions instead, unlike the 1999 only kit described immediately below)

Manufacturer: RAYBESTOS
Part Number: 5451335
Estimated Price Range: $25.12 to $29.03
Application Restrictions: May not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB,
incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers.

Manufacturer: PROTHANE MOTION CONTROL (a division of Dee Engineering, Inc.)
Part Number: 6-1166
Estimated Price Range: $35.00 to $45.00
Vehicle Applications: 1999-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: 32mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit Excursion, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit. May not fit some early 1999 applications. Prothane does not provide more specific fit up information beyond "1999-2004"
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. The 6-1166 kit appears to be still available in black or red.

Distributer: Diversified Suspension Technologies (DST)
Resellers: Energy Suspenion Products .com and Prothane Suspension Products .com
Manufacturer: PROTHANE MOTION CONTROL
Part Number: 881166
Estimated Price Range: $29.00 to $33.00
Vehicle Applications: 1999-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May not fit early 1999. Fits sway bar end links with 1.5" nominal bore diameter (which is most 2000-04 F250-550 & Excursion)
Product Description: End link bushings only. Offered in black only. Includes 8 pieces of urethane half flange bushings, 4 rolled sleeves, & 4
washers. Does not include any bolts or nuts.

Manufacturer: ENERGY SUSPENSION
Part Number: 4.5186
Estimated Price Range: $34.00 to $44.00
Vehicle Applications: 2000-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: 32mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit Excursion, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit. May not fit some early 1999 applications. See other ENERGY kits listed below for Excursion specific and early 1999 applications
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. Available in two colors. Append part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Part Number: 4.5180
Vehicle Applications: 2000-2005 Ford 4WD Excursion only
Application Restrictions: 36mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit F250/350/450/550s, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit except for early 1999 model years. See other ENERGY kits listed below for truck specific and early 1999 applications.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. Available in two colors. Append part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Part Number: 4.5192
Vehicle Applications: Early 1999 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 (love the turbo whine of an early '99)
Application Restrictions: Will only fit early 1999 to mid 1999, and that is only if the original sway bar and end links have not been upgraded to a later style, per a now inactive Ford TSB that was issued in 2001 with an available update for early trucks still under warranty at that time.

BUSHING REPLACEMENT KITS NOT LISTED ABOVE:

Deeza #FOL740 (For Rear Axle Only)
Moog #K80086 (For Rear Axle Only)
MevoTech #MK80086 (For Rear Axle Only)

SPECIAL NOTE

The "881166" part number for sway bar end links available from "Energy Suspension Products .com" is not really an Energy product. Here is the story:

First, the cast of characters:

1. Energy Suspension ... the Manufacturer.

2. Energy Suspension Parts . com .... an independent reseller of urethane suspension parts that are not only products made by Energy Suspension, but are also products made by Prothane.

3. Prothane Suspension ... the Manufacturer.

4. Prothane Suspension Parts . com ... an independent reseller of urethane suspension parts that are not only products made by Prothane Suspension, but are also products made by Energy.

1. Some general notes about Energy Suspension the manufacture:

Energy is not affiliated with Prothane. Their parts do not all come off the same boat from China. They are separate manufacturers.

Energy makes kits for 1999, 2000-2004, and 2000-2005 Excursions. Energy does not offer end link bushings in isolation outside of a kit. The black only 881166 kit is not an Energy part number, nor is it an Energy product. All true Energy products are available in black or red.

Energy does not offer a standard kit for these applications that includes a "greaseable" sway bar bushing. Energy does make greaseable uBrackets, but they are not included in any application kit. The tech sales rep at Energy (manufacturer) suggested drilling and tapping the stock U bracket for the axle mounted sway bar mounting, and drilling a 1/8" diameter hole through the Energy bar bushing in line with the drilled and tapped u bracket hole just drilled, and threading in one's own zerk fitting as an alternative to special ordering a greaseable u bracket from Energy. (This paragraph has nothing to do with end links, it's just an FYI).

Energy makes 3 kits for the front sway bar for the listed applications this research applys to. These kits include both the sway bar end link bushings as well as the axle mounted sway bar support bushings, and are as follows:

2000-2005 4WD Excursion, 36mm bar, Part # 4.5180
2000-2004 4WD F250-550, 32mm bar, Part # 4.5186
1999-99.5 4WD F250-550, 32mm bar, Part # 4.5192

Append any Energy part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Energy typically offers three different durometers (hardness of the urethane) in their products, but for the kits Energy has for the applications listed here, Energy only offers one durometer, their most durable/hardest, with a durometer of 88 "tough".

2. Some general notes about Prothane Suspension the manufacturer:

Prothane is not affiliated with Energy. Their parts do not all come off the same boat from China. They are separate manufacturers.

Prothane only makes one kit for all for 1999, 2000-2004, and 2000-2005 Excursions, called the 6-1166. Prothane does not offer an end link only kit that has been sold as part number 881166. That part number is not a valid Prothane part number. Prothane, however, does indeed make the actual bushings in that "invalid" part number. The part number is actually the result of a large reseller (below) breaking up that one and only one kit that Prothane makes for the 1999-2004 Super Duty, which is part number 6-1166.

Unlike Energy who offers three different kits, Prothane only makes one kit for all applications, and that kit includes the axle mounted sway bar bushings for a 32mm diameter bar. Prothane does not offer a 36mm diameter bar kit. For that, one must turn to Energy.

The durometer of the Prothane end link bushings is slightly less than Energy's, with a durometer of 85A for the Prothane, versus Energy's 88.

3 & 4. Some general notes about the resellers called Energy Suspension Parts dot com and Prothane Suspension Parts dot com:

Neither reseller is affiliated with either Energy Suspension or Prothane Suspension, but both resellers are affliated with each other. In fact, the parent company of both resellers is Diversified Suspension Technologies (DST) which itself has no direct affliation with either Energy or Prothane, but is a major distributor of both manufacturer's products.

Anyhow, it is the two DST resellers that breaks up Prothane's 6-1166 kit, removes the sway bar bushings, and resells just the end link bushings as Part number 881166. They further market this part number under both the Energy Suspension Parts .com and the Prothane Suspension Parts .com websites.

The point of this clarification is, if you truly want "Energy" suspension end link bushings with a hardness durometer of 88, then don't order 881166.
Instead, look for and order the applicable and true Energy Suspension part numbers I have enumerated above, in black or in red, and know that you can order any part number from either reseller.

If you have an Excursion, and want true "Energy" you will have to live with receiving a couple of axle mounted sway bar support bushings that are two small at 32mm for your 36mm sway bar.

On the other hand, if you don't mind the Prothane brand name, and don't mind or would actually prefer 3 less points in hardness with a durometer of 88, then either order the full Prothane kit listed below that will include 32mm sway bar support bushings, or for end link bushings only, order the break out kit that DST markets as 881166. Just be aware that these are not Energy bushings, they are Prothane's.

Personally, I doubt that I would be able to feel a difference between the two brands, despite durometer differences, at least when new. Only time can tell if there is a long term durability difference. And one would need to have both kits in hand to determine any metal hardware differences like the sleeve wall thickness, or washer plating and thickness.

Clear as mud? Hope so. I was really confused about this, so I tore into it, calling both manufacturers, to get answers straight from the horses's mouthgs. Once I got it all straight, it seemed like a useful bit of info to share here on FTE.

Part B:

OPTIONS TO REPLACE ENTIRE END LINKS AS AN ASSEMBLY WITH BUSHINGS PREISNSTALLED:

{Please see my subsequent follow up post for a list of fully assembled endlink kits currently on the market.}

Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow that is alot of research. Thanks again..

Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 AM
jrp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found your write-up very helpful!

I found your write up on this very informative, and helpful.
I did this job today, with entire new links, with moog joints, purchased thru amazon.
Really appreciate all the work you did on this!!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 AM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My trucks has had that clunking sound for a few weeks now. Found the end links to be worn out. I'll be changing them out.

Thanks Y2KW57, for the in-depth information. I am referencing all the info that you have provided in this thread to help me decide on where to buy from.

I tried to send you reps and got denied. I guess I repped you for your knowledge not too long ago.

Oh well,

Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

Part B:

OPTIONS TO REPLACE ENTIRE END LINKS AS AN ASSEMBLY WITH BUSHINGS PREISNSTALLED:

{Please see my subsequent follow up post for a list of fully assembled endlink kits currently on the market.}

On the subject of having several options to choose from, I just now made an abbreviated list of the substance of PART B: completely pre-assembled full replacement front sway bar end links for 1999 - 2004 4WD F-250/350/450/550/Excursions. The list below is a redacted version of the yet to be posted Part B promised in my original post. In this now modified Part B, I deleted out all the pricing, places to purchase, and any quality/comparison/commentary on the constitution of the bushings and bolt that are pre pressed in... for the sake of brevity.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
1C3Z-5K483-BB - Driver Side Front Left
1C3Z-5K483-BA - Passenger Side Front Right
Revision Note: New design effective date June 21 2001.
Pre-Assembled Link Notes: Includes new upper eyelet bolts prepressed into OEM Sachs style bushings with new dished washer heatshield for the upper passenger side.
Application Notes: Not intended for use in early 1999 models as originally equipped, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, see next Ford link below.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
F81Z-5K483-BB - Driver Side Front Left
F81Z-5K483-BA - Passenger Side Front Right
Application Note: For 1999 Model year only, unless TSB was applied.

MOTORCRAFT:
MEF-205 - Driver Side Front Left
MEF-206 - Passenger Side Front Right

MOOG:
K80274 - Driver Side Front Left
K80273 - Passenger Side Front Right
Cautionary Note: Observe that these MOOG part numbers coincide with the endlinks that PickupmanX2 inquired about several posts above. As I mentioned earlier, I would not assume that the parts sold on that eBay link are actually MOOG, even though the numbers "match". This is due to some eBay sellers listing knock off parts by the numbers of better respected brands.

RAYBESTOS:
5451422 - Driver Side Front Left
5451423 - Passenger Side Front Right

ACDELCO
45G0422 - Driver Side Front Left
45G0423 - Passenger Side Front Right
Branding Note: These ACDelco are simply rebranded/repackaged, and not produced by ACDelco. They are in fact the same endlinks as the Raybestos immediately above.

MEVOTECH
MS40805 - Driver Side Front Left
MS40806 - Passenger Side Front Right

Application Note: Unable to confirm with reliable certainty the difference between the MEVOTECH MS40805/6 front swaybar end links that are 14" length with bend, versus the MEVOTECH MS40812/3 front swaybar endlinks listed immediately below that are also 14" length with bend. The MS40806 appears to include the bushing heatshield, whereas the MS40813 does not. Photographs online from merchants cannot be trusted, due to images being "similar to", but not precisely accurate for, the part numbers described. Pricing for the Mevotechs varies very widely, from as little as $13 to as high as $40, so not even cost is a clue of how the part numbers differ. The Mevotech website, a Canadian company, did not produce results when these part numbers were searched for there.

MEVOTECH
MS40812 - Driver Side Front Left
MS40813 - Passenger Side Front Right
Application Note: (see note immediately above)

DORMAN
905-302 - Driver Side Front Left
905-301 - Passenger Side Front Right
Note: MADE IN CHINA https://www.google.com/#q=dorman+905...n+china+amazon

So there you have it... Part A details the options for replacing only the parts that go bad... the bushings. Part B details the options for replacing the entire links as an assembly. Now that all of the options are contained in one thread, this should help future members figure out which option suits their needs best.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
XtremExcursion01
New User
For 4x4 Excursions, you can get the Energy Suspension sway bar end link bushings, includes bushings for both left and right end links on the Advanced Auto Parts website. However, this part # is not available in AAP stores; they can not even order it for you. ??? But, I "chatted" with a website representative and was told that they had 11 sets on hand and ready to ship today.
Here's the link-
Energy Suspension Heavy Duty Sway Bar End Link Set 9.8105G: Purchase the best Drag Shocks/Mounts/Springs at Advance Auto Parts

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Budman1962
Senior User
Great old thread. On my 2000 f250 I need to replace the pillow block because the hole has become to large. Anyone know the part number for the pillow block?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Budman1962
Great old thread. On my 2000 f250 I need to replace the pillow block because the hole has become to large. Anyone know the part number for the pillow block?

F81Z-5C495-BH. Same for left and right hand side.

This is the model year 2000 redesign. The previous part number was F81Z-5C495-BA. Ford parts illustrations may show the old or the new part, depending on the revision date and source of the illustration.

Note: Late 99's built after March 21, 1999, now commonly called L99, but that used to be called 99.5, may not have come with the cast pillow block and longer end links, even while the sway bar mounts on the axle were revised from the early 99 (E99) versions.

I realize now that my write up didn't entirely clear the confusion in this regard, because I didn't distinguish the sway bar mount revisions versus the sway bar end link mount revision. I dug this back up to make sure that point was made clear, and saw your unanswered question.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 PM
interweb
New User
What torque did you put on the pillow block's 13mm bolts? Can't find them in my manuals. Also mine appeared to have red thread locker??? Although they weren't that hard to remove, but it is some red goop on the threads.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
dead thread bump

can anyone verify that the part listed below is correct for factory end links? I've already bought the wrong kit online once and went through the effort of pressing out old bushings. Want to avoid wasting anymore money.
Originally Posted by XtremExcursion01
For 4x4 Excursions, you can get the Energy Suspension sway bar end link bushings, includes bushings for both left and right end links on the Advanced Auto Parts website. However, this part # is not available in AAP stores; they can not even order it for you. ??? But, I "chatted" with a website representative and was told that they had 11 sets on hand and ready to ship today.
Here's the link-
Energy Suspension Heavy Duty Sway Bar End Link Set 9.8105G: Purchase the best Drag Shocks/Mounts/Springs at Advance Auto Parts

Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Budman1962
Senior User
I bought the energy suspension bushings and it was a waste of money. Didn't last at all. I changed to MEVOTECH end links. Far better design. I got them at rock auto.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think a lot of people do not know how to install the energy suspension kit. Not only does it need to have the bushings pressed in (easy), but the top bolt also needs to be pressed into the center bushing.
It really sucks that energy suspension doesn't include instructions for the kit. I just puzzled my way thru it although I am still not sure what the flat washers all go. There is 4 in them, I figured you need 8..

Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Y2KW57
In my opinion, a cross axis ball joint allows for more articulation and flexibility within the allowable range of motion, and more rigidity and resistance to sway when reaching the limit of the allowable range of motion... than a solid urethane bushing.

The problem with the original production cross axis ball joints appears to have been a failure of the seal membrane. The later replacement and service part sway bar end links with the cross axis ball joints appear to have a more durable sealing membrane, that remains in tact for longer than OEM.

The cap seals of my replacement Ford service part sway bar end links have already lasted longer than the original seals of the OEM parts they replaced. If anyone considering new sway bar end links has the patience to trust that Ford got it right the second time around, or that MevoTech and other currently available sway bar end links with cross axis ball joints have seals that will go the distance... I think the ride and handling will be more comfortable and controlled with articulating joints over bare bushings.

Quick Reply: OE Sway Bar End Link Replacement with Pics