1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on several things (budget, time, skill level,etc.) you have many options for suspensions.

For a general driver, don't overlook rebuilding the stock solid front axle system. New spring bushings, disc brake conversion (or rebuild the regular drums), dual chamber master cylinder (needs to be done either way), and Toyota PS conversion are all fairly easy projects and reasonably priced.

For the rear axle, Ford 9" rear ends from a late 50's to 72 F100 are basically a direct bolt in and match the bolt pattern on your front axle. This allows a much wider variety of gear ratios than stock. Others are using Explorer 8.8" rear ends which can be had fairly cheap (often around $150) and can come regularly with disc brakes and posi. They are a little narrower than stock and will have a different bolt pattern than the stock front, but if you are converting to front discs, you can spec out what bolt pattern you want, so plan ahead.

Engine and trans is all up to your personal tastes, abilities, and budget. My basket case came with a 289 and C4, so that is what I am using. I wouldn't hesitate to use a SBC either for that matter.

One suggestion on a project is to get it safely running, driving, and stopping first, and enjoy driving it. Then tackle one project at a time, driving it between projects. This keeps you from getting overwhelmed and never finishing. Many of us , me included, have projects from someone who had grand ideas of doing a frame off resto, get knee deep, and then run out of time, ambition, and money.

Enjoy, this forum has a great group with an unparalleled knowledge base that they are always willing to share.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
There is an eleven part article on front suspension options for 48-60 Ford trucks on this site. I recommend reading it before making a decision. Open this link and scroll down to start with part 1:53-79 F-Series Steering & Suspension .: Articles
This is a good article to review, however, it was written without the benefit of a section on the XJ-6/12 alternative. The Jag referred to is the XKE setup, considerably more work to install in our truck than the XJ. If I recall correctly the series 3 was late 70's thru 1986.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
rwdaz
New User
Ok so I found a possible donor. Looking for input from you guys before I make the plunge and buy the donor.

The Donor: 1985 Jaguar XJS, 78k miles, has factory posi rear, 4 wheel disc brakes. I am thinking about using the front and rear suspension on my 50 F1.

I know a bunch of you guys have dont the front suspension swap, but what about the rear? Has anyone done it? How much fabricating is this going to require?

I do think it would very cool to have full Jag suspension with 4 wheel disc brakes!

Your thoughts?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rwdaz
Ok so I found a possible donor. Looking for input from you guys before I make the plunge and buy the donor.

The Donor: 1985 Jaguar XJS, 78k miles, has factory posi rear, 4 wheel disc brakes. I am thinking about using the front and rear suspension on my 50 F1.

I know a bunch of you guys have dont the front suspension swap, but what about the rear? Has anyone done it? How much fabricating is this going to require?

I do think it would very cool to have full Jag suspension with 4 wheel disc brakes!

Your thoughts?

The 85 xj6 would be a great donor. You do want to get a non rusty one.
If you get the entire car you will be assured of getting everything that you need.

I did not do the Jag rear, I went 9" Ford. The Jag IRS has been done by hot rodders for years. There are two ways to go. The easier way is to maintain the original Jag "cage" which is not very decorative or fabricate all of your own mounts which requires considerably more fabrication but imho can be a thing of beauty. Keeping the cage makes getting the geometry right much more straight forward much like the K member does for the IFS. Hopefully someone will come along that has actually done the Jag rear. I am not aware of anyone that is active on this forum that has done it. Search for Jag IRS.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
rwdaz
New User
Originally Posted by 49willard
The 85 xj6 would be a great donor. You do want to get a non rusty one.
If you get the entire car you will be assured of getting everything that you need.
Its actually a XJS, not a xj6. Just want to make sure you cought that.
Is there any diferrence in the IFS between the xjs and the xj6?

The donor is rust free (not usually much of an issue here in Arizona) and it has low miles.
The car is complete besides themotor and tranny are gone.

As far as durability, reliability and strength, how do you guys feel about the Jag IRS?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
The XJS is also a good donor. It has the larger diameter front stabilizer bar which is desirable and a little bit stiffer front springs I believe. I am assuming that it has/had the v12 motor and therefore the stiffer suspension. For strength, the xj series are all heaver vehicles that our trucks.
You have not indicated your level of experience/fab skills. This is not a bolt together arrangement and you will have to fabricate mount, brackets etc, no one makes kits to install the Jag IFS or IRS.

Given the low mileage of the donor, I would be surprised if it is necessary to do a rebuild making it a really good choice! I would certainly check the ball joints as a minimum. If you need or choose to rebuild, parts are readily available in the after market. Avoid the dealer.

Many high powered street rods have run the Jag IRS without difficulty. If you want to drag race the truck skip the Jag IRS.

EDIT:

Check out member RUSTY50F1. He did Jag front and rear on an F1.

Last edited by 49willard; 01-06-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: update