1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Putting an aftermarket radio in the 53...but where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
I can't use the glove box since the a/c unit takes up most of that space, unless I use a really short radio. ....
Many of the "digital media receivers" that don't have a CD drive, just the bluetooth and USB/iPod connections, are only 4" - 5" deep. I really question whether there's enough cooling in the glovebox for any kind of power, tho.

When I tried to mount a receiver in my dash, I quickly discovered there is almost nothing to attach to behind the front lip of the dash. This is one time where the 48-50's with the big underdash braces for the factory radio have a lot more possibilities.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Can you guess where my music is?

My music is in my head! There is a lot of empty space there. As I am driving along I can sing any song I want, may not be pretty but it sounds good to me!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I filled ash tray and useless 2" deep glove box: here's where mine goes, in center console below dash extension:

unit goes in empty hole below heater controls:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
The install in the picture looks like it is using a basic underdash U bracket, not an extra housing. The larger housing to the right is the heater/ac controls.
My eyes are still seeing a plastic ( I am assuming plastic ) enclosure.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by abe
Can you guess where my music is?

My music is in my head! There is a lot of empty space there. As I am driving along I can sing any song I want, may not be pretty but it sounds good to me!
I like that clean dash

Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 1930 Dodge
My eyes are still seeing a plastic ( I am assuming plastic ) enclosure.
I was a metal enclosure around 2 deep. It mounted to the bottom of the dash and then the front end of the deck mounted inside it obviously. This install pictured was done back in 03. At one time you could get them at Radio Shack. If I can find it I could send it to you if you wanted it. It might be a while although before I run across it. I still think an underdash mount of some form is the best way versus cutting up the dash. The reason I went glovebox with the latest install is I didnt want to cut up the dash or go overhead. My move was made necessary by my underperforming OLD AIR products unit.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
booger1949
New User
i have a 49 chevy an i put my radio behind the speaker grill an just put the grill on a piano hinge, r u able to do that

Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boog, I dont have a speaker cover.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by jhaas63
Boog, I dont have a speaker cover.
I guess you'll just have to buy a Chevy then....NOT!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm going to build an overhead console to mount my head unit in on my 54.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
fun-ford
Senior User
I like the stock dash so mine is under the seat and uses a wireless remote,works great but cds are a little hard to change.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by tacson
I was a metal enclosure around 2 deep. It mounted to the bottom of the dash and then the front end of the deck mounted inside it obviously. This install pictured was done back in 03. At one time you could get them at Radio Shack. If I can find it I could send it to you if you wanted it. It might be a while although before I run across it. I still think an underdash mount of some form is the best way versus cutting up the dash. The reason I went glovebox with the latest install is I didnt want to cut up the dash or go overhead. My move was made necessary by my underperforming OLD AIR products unit.
Thanks, I will have to check radioshack then, I am going to be installing this in the next few weeks so if you happen to run across it that would be nice but no problem if you cant and thanks for the offer.

If you are able to find a better picture that would be nice, I like the clean design and like it even more now that I know its metal so I would like to find one similar.

Im not going to cut up my dash and want my glovebox so this is the way for me to go.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Usually the units come with the slip in mount like that. If you don't have one for yours, try contacting the manufacturer with the model #, and see if they can provide one for you. They are pretty much just an open ended box so it shouldn't be expensive.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I plan to use a radio which the face mounts (1 inch deep)while the body has a ten foot cord and can be mounted under the seat are where ever else you want.

Secretaudio SST is a hidden audio system that offers great flexibility for mounting in any type of vehicle. The main receiver/amplifier unit is usually hidden under the seat, or behind the dash. A 10ft cord from the Tuner/Amp plugs into a LCD display. The system can be operated from up to 40 feet away with the included RF (radio frequency remote.)

Included with the system is a flush mount bezel for console or dash mounting. The small dimensions of the flush mount system allow you to install the LCD display almost anywhere. The LCD also comes with a bracket mount for easy installation in the glove box, under the dash, in the ashtray, sun visor, console, or wherever you choose. Since its only 1" deep its especially handy for custom or street rod applications where there may be wiring or ducting routed behind the panels you wish to utilize for mounting. When your installation is finished you'll be rewarded with a quality professionally installed look.

Features:
• AM/FM Stereo 200 watts 4x50
• RF Remote Control (radio frequency no line of sight required, up to 40' range)
• USB MP3/WMA Flash Drive Player
• iPodฎ Direct Control Interface (built into tuner/amp unit) iPod Docking Cable Included. Does not work with iphone.
• Alpha Numeric LCD Display Shows Artist / Song Titles for USB, iPodฎ and Satellite Radio
• Satellite Radio Input (for optional Siriusฎ satellite radio tuner)
• Direct CD Changer Control (CD changer optional)
• Auxiliary Audio Input
• 4 Channel 3 Volt RCA Pre-Outs (for optional Amplifiers)
• Subwoofer Pre-Out (for optional Subwoofer Amplifier)
• Electronic Volume, Bass, Treble, Balance, Fader
• 5 Selectable iEQ Curves – pop/jazz/classic/beat/rock
• Zero Memory Current Draw (will not drain car battery when unit not in use)
• 24 Station pre-sets (18FM / 6AM)
• 10 Foot Cable from LCD Control Panel to Black Box (tuner/amp unit)
• Power Antenna 12V Trigger Lead
• Blue LED Illumination on Buttons and LCD Display with Contrast Control
• LCD Flush Mount Trim Bezel Included
• LCD Swivel Mount Bracket Included

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Mounting mine under the seat secret audio, ten disk CD player,mp3, USB connections ,and many other hook ups.

Quick Reply: Putting an aftermarket radio in the 53...but where?