1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

24 years ago tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 783 Likes on 383 Posts
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,195 Likes on 2,688 Posts
That is the way relationships are supposed to be between father and son's and it makes me happy to hear your stories. Mkaes me wish I had one to share. Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Brings backs memories of times such as those I had with my dad.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
This is a great story. Reminds me of one of the times (there were several) our family moved from California to Tennessee. This one was at Christmas time in the mid 50's and I was about 5 years old. We actually spent Christmas in Texas. My mom was driving one car with my two older sisters, and I was in the other car with my dad. I remember crawling down on the floor next to the heater to stay warm... not realizing I was blocking all the heat from reaching my dad. He never said a word... just drove along freezing and letting me stay toasty warm. It was decades later before I realized what I had done to him. But that was my dad. Never complained about anything in his whole life. I miss him.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
Very interesting. I remember an interesting trip with my dear departed dad. Thanks for sharing. I am on a road trip and slowly getting snowed in as I type.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey kevin....

i only wish i had even one story like that. i don't. divorce pulled my family apart when i was young and had to grow up not knowing him much at all. too bad for me and a lot of others. enjoy those memories forever. they are so precious.

q in 'cuse

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM
jamesadams
Senior User
There was the time when i was 14 we pulled my 58 skyliner home with a G john deere,neither one had brakes,a large packrat tried to run me out of the car...then when he and my mom and i road tripped my 64 c 10 and chevy 2 with no tags,with mom staying close and the cops passed us going to a acçident.More recently with my son hauling a 48 dodge pickup body with my cousins trailer,which overloaded my jeeps brakes,hauling my f3 with a dolly,once again overloading my jeep...going 350 miles one way this weekend to get another jeep...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now is the time to make the memories with your kids guys. So someday they can post on a thread like this about the good times with there dad.

Works important yes. But not as important as time with your kids. Ya only got one chance so take it when ya can. Even if ya don't think ya can.

I was on my way to spend time with my Dad that I hardly knew. On the way we got word that he had a stroke and never recovered. We got there in time to pull the plug for him. Ya all can do better than me I hope.

I do remember a trip to Yellowstone when I was about 5 years old. But really only bits and pieces of that even. Only you can make time for your family.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
nice thought, and to follow up is priceless. when i was 45 i was watching my 3 girls grow up and didn't want to miss any more. so i halted my career and got certified as a high school coach in ny. i was there even when they didn't want me to be. i coached or assisted on all their basketball and softball teams all the way thru h.s. it was wonderful. many good memories. i was fortunate enuff to do that, many of you can't...mortgage,car pmts,insurances....find another way to do something if you can, but don't let those childhood years pass you by.

q1 in 'cuse

Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Right on Q man. Ya heard what what I was trying to say. Thanks. Think about it guys.

Just a weekend camping trip in the middle of a winter storm can be unforgettable. Just do something.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
yes, but don't make it a new years resolution cuz nobody keeps them

DO SOMETHING!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
So true Q man. I know I aint never kept one for long. Except the love of my Lord and family. Some things just can't change.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now is the time to make the memories with your kids guys.
That is so true. We've had some from special events but I've found that many of those "memories" come from everyday type things and spontaneous moments. Some of the things I think were cool and special are quite different from some of the things that were most meaningful to them. You just never know. But TIME is the key and I've been blessed with many good memories (and hopefully more to come).

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
lost my dad at 18 ..not a lot of time cause he worked to feed 7 kid's .. lost my youngest son 5 years ago ..every day wish I could have done better ....

Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We went thru 2 pickups hauling my daughters horses from Illinois to Montreal, New Mexico, Florida, Colorado and everywhere in between. Mom, Daughter, Max the mutt, one or two horses for thousands of miles and hours together. I remember looking in the rear view and seeing Max sound asleep on the bed cover as peaceful as could be at 60 MPH - he loved to go out the back slider and curl up out there when our daughter was asleep. Mom didn't like to drive with the trailer so it was my pleasure. Wouldn't trade it for anything. The best part is now that she is grown she still talks about what great times we had as a family close together. She is back into horses so maybe we can do it again! Dave S

Quick Reply: 24 years ago tonight