1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

WAY OT, storage wars rigged...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by St33mF3
Correct on sponsors, but they pay most the bills. So it's unfortunate they have to do what they have to to keep them.

Everything at times is peped up per say, but very hard to stage racing as opposed to say. X factor, American idol, Storage wars and etc.
Actually, the sponsors pay ALL of the bills, be it through team sponsorship, NASCAR sponsorship, track sponsorship, driver endorsements or TV/radio commercials.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by needhelp49
lets see bk couldn't get out of his own way then dodge announced it was leaving the sport. all of a sudden he starts winning and ya don't think its rigged ha i love nascar but i think its turning into the wwf.
I personally don't like or get along well with Brad, but the statement about him not being able to get out of own way is far far from fact.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,923 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Of course all of this reality TV is staged. I don't bother anymore. I watch fictional TV shows like the "old days". In my opinion, that Survivor show did as much damage to TV as Nirvana did to the music I loved.
Well said!!

About the only reality show I've watched all the way through or more than once even is "American Restoration". Yes, you can tell a lot of it is staged, but they seem to get away without having to add tons of drama.

Bobby

Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little off topic but in my opinon, if they want reality TV they should have showed up at Truckstock 2012, filmed and kept their mouths shut, that my friends would have been reality TV at it's best, normal people doing normal things that make this country great, not this **** they call reality shows.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
If you don't think NASCAR is staged, read Smokey Yunik's autobiography.
The more money that's involved the more likely "the fix is in", especially when 1 person or family has all the control. Gee it just happened the Hendrick cars all had this trick moving rear axle that allowed Jr to win, then when BK publicly complained, NASCAR says "Oh yah, we knew it was in their cars and the rest of the teams could have used it too."
No, I don't think that reality TV isn't rigged, and yes the "characters" are well paid: Chumley drives a Bently, OCC builds a 16M headquarters building and supports about 50 people building 1M motorcycles in the middle of a recession, while Senior amasses a huge collection of muscle cars. Jr sued senior because he wanted a bigger share of the money and control rather than dump it into buildings, starting a division in Germany, and restaurants. If it wasn't for American Chopper Senior would still be making porch railings.
Jesse James is the biggest d-bag of the bunch. Yes he has mad fabricating skills, but he learned them from Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose when he worked for Boyd. He's back to building crap for TV after he lost both his meal tickets.
Excuse me now while I go watch Iron chef make stuff from the "secret" ingredient they knew nothing about but are completely prepared for (gee, wasn't it fortuitous for Morimoto that there happened to be a carved ice block cold smoker just sitting around the kitchen, when he didn't even know which IC was going to selected to battle or that cod was going to be the secret ingredient ... ) and their assistants immediately know exactly what they are going to prepare and have all the ingredients right at hand, not to mention where these assistants suddenly appeared from.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
When the chopper shows and car rebuild shows first started,they where pretty good .I liked seeing things built and fabricated.To bad there isn't a show like the Yankee workshop and woodworking programs for car restorers.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Well said!!

About the only reality show I've watched all the way through or more than once even is "American Restoration". Yes, you can tell a lot of it is staged, but they seem to get away without having to add tons of drama.

Bobby
I liked in one of the Pawn Stars shows, a guy brought in an old Coke machine. They bought the machine, took it to Rick's to be restored where he happened to have all the expensive missing parts to restore it. Oh, the guy who sold the machine to the pawn shop was Rick's brother who works in the shop. If that wasn't staged, nothing ever was. Or how about the Pawn stars guy calling the American Pickers to find an old chevy and then having The Count, restore it. Really??? The three shows just 'happened' to be involved in one car.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
When I was younger I wanted to become a famous wrestler with the World Wrestling Federation WWF...my grandma was all for it, my mom laughed at me.
I tried jumping from the third rope and nearly killed myself....now I just play in the garage...
My sisters wanted to be famous "Roller Derby" participants...
Where did Wiley Coyote go?
I was hot for Mary Ann of Gilligan's Island..why did the professor never take up interest in those girls? How did they make razors last so long?
So many more, questions about what I learned on TV....
But I will stop for now...

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
These shows are 'entertainment" and not reality. Some are more entertaining than others but nothing that even approaches reality.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
These shows are 'entertainment" and not reality. Some are more entertaining than others but nothing that even approaches reality.
I have a 15 yr old step daughter and a 15 yr old biological daughter.
They will argue your statement...

Anyone else have that problem?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Seriously though, I watch some of these, and yes, they are nothing more than brain "junkfood" I even ask myself sometimes, why am i watching this garbage!
and i switch the channel to another episode of "lizard lick towing"

I hate what captures my attention sometimes....part of the reason my truck project is slow...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I have to admit, I watch storage wars, but I watch looking for a vehicle of Barry's....

Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, that's what unfortunate about some of these shows. The younger generation thinks that's what life is really about and mom & dad just don't get it.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We haven't had commercial TV for 5 or 6 years. I was in the proses of getting Direct TV installed just now. But after reading this thread I have remembered why I don't have TV. So DVD, Blue Ray and Netflix will stay for now. Thanks guys. But I don't think the boy's at 11 and 13 years of age will agree.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
say what ya want but duck dynasty makes me laugh

Quick Reply: WAY OT, storage wars rigged...