Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-**mph times for 7.5L

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bfowler97
wow i cant believe how offended some get over nothing,you post on here like your all high and mighty,the wise one and then you take a childish stab at the time i posted calling it petty? really? come on man grow up,if you dont like a thread because it offends you in some way,pm me about it and we can take care of it that way.This thread is officially dead,hopefully a mod will come and delete it.thanks

Nope, not yet.......

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
wow i cant believe how offended some get over nothing,you post on here like your all high and mighty,the wise one and then you take a childish stab at the time i posted calling it petty? really? come on man grow up,if you dont like a thread because it offends you in some way,pm me about it and we can take care of it that way.This thread is officially dead,hopefully a mod will come and delete it.thanks
I AM grown up--which is why I don't feel the need to drive my truck or van at 90 MPH, putting other people in danger. You are the one who needs to buy a clue. If you can't afford one, perhaps one of our public servants will write out one for you on the side of the road.

Jason

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM
bfowler97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jroehl
I AM grown up--which is why I don't feel the need to drive my truck or van at 90 MPH, putting other people in danger. You are the one who needs to buy a clue. If you can't afford one, perhaps one of our public servants will write out one for you on the side of the road.

Jason
Ok look,i dont want to go back and forth with anybody about this.I realize maybe i should have put 40-70mph if anything,im sorry it didnt sit well with a couple of you.Can we all just drop it now?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
GENTS.....he has said he made a mistake ....come on....let's get along..

Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
rangergirl94
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I made a comment about people racing there powerstrokes I got flammed for it people saying guys will race anything its normal. Haha must only be cool on this site if your a ricer and like racing diesel trucks

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This forum is great isnt it!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM
darknight
Senior User
90 MPH isn't legal in too many areas. Are you encouraging people to break the law and put other people's lives at risk for your petty acceleration time? Trucks don't handle or brake too well at 90 MPH.

Jason
If you can't trust your truck at 90, you shouldn't trust it at 75.

I think it is a very valid question.. And if anywhere here, esp you Jason, hasn't broken the law in speeding, then you should be granted sainthood and a gold star.
If you don't like the topic or question of the OP, then don't respond. This is a community of ford truckers. We come here to get along, share knowledge and have a good time! Don't respond just trying to start a debate or argument.. Nobody wins.
If you want to have a typing fight, go to a chevy forum and start ranting about a bowtie-don't do it here.
To the O.P., next time I'm with my buddy who has a 91' f250 with a 460, we'll test the 70-90 time. I'll let you know..

Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 PM
darknight
Senior User
Ok look,i dont want to go back and forth with anybody about this.I realize maybe i should have put 40-70mph if anything,im sorry it didnt sit well with a couple of you.Can we all just drop it now?
No worries... You get some people at the wrong time of day. I don't care who it is, we can all be D-bags at one point or another. I see you are a newer user of FTE, don't let this scare you off. FTE is a great community and can really be a fun place to browse and share an interest in Ford Trucks. Keep it up and stick around! Everybody can learn something from Somebody.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darknight
That's complete nonsense. There is 44% more energy your brakes have to deal with at 90MPH vs 75MPH - and OBS brakes are marginal at best. Most large truck tires are not rated to do 90 MPH, and could possible come apart. The long drive shafts and large universal joints are not meant (or balanced) for high speed operation.

There is a lot more aerodynamic lift at 90MPH vs 75 MPH, making the truck effectively lighter - reducing traction and handling, stopping distances will be longer and your reaction time needs to be quicker. Not a good combination.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
That's complete nonsense. There is 44% more energy your brakes have to deal with at 90MPH vs 75MPH - and OBS brakes are marginal at best. Most large truck tires are not rated to do 90 MPH, and could possible come apart. The long drive shafts and large universal joints are not meant (or balanced) for high speed operation.

There is a lot more aerodynamic lift at 90MPH vs 75 MPH, making the truck effectively lighter - reducing traction and handling, stopping distances will be longer and your reaction time needs to be quicker. Not a good combination.
That'd be my argument.

As much as I like to go fast, do it on a regulated track. Don't race around where I'm driving, where my family is driving, or where my friends are driving. The last thing that I want is to have to bury somebody because some punk thought it was "safe" to go 90mph on a public roadway. And you'd probably feel really foolish if you lost control of your truck and ran into somebody you care about. Don't think it couldn't happen to you.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by darknight

I think it is a very valid question.. And if anywhere here, esp you Jason, hasn't broken the law in speeding, then you should be granted sainthood and a gold star.
If you don't like the topic or question of the OP, then don't respond. This is a community of ford truckers. We come here to get along, share knowledge and have a good time! Don't respond just trying to start a debate or argument.. Nobody wins.
If you want to have a typing fight, go to a chevy forum and start ranting about a bowtie-don't do it here.
To the O.P., next time I'm with my buddy who has a 91' f250 with a 460, we'll test the 70-90 time. I'll let you know..
Yep. I've done it all. But I grew up and realized the error of my ways. Now I do what I can to keep my family--and my fellow Ford truckers--safe. Part of that includes discouraging folks on this forum from finding out the hard way that it's bad when the headlights point at each other like my wife's cousin tragically did on Mother's Day over 8 years ago in his Ford truck.

So I'm not going to apologize for being a bit cantankerous when it comes to people who talk flippantly about speeding and otherwise breaking the law on public roads, putting themselves and others at risk.

Jason

P.S. Check the join date and post count in the upper right corner of my post--I've got a decent handle on what this forum's about. I don't own it, so I try to play by the rules in the TOS and by what the mods say. Tim already told us to knock it off, so even this post is pushing the boundaries a bit.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM
bfowler97
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GNR22
That'd be my argument.

As much as I like to go fast, do it on a regulated track. Don't race around where I'm driving, where my family is driving, or where my friends are driving. The last thing that I want is to have to bury somebody because some punk thought it was "safe" to go 90mph on a public roadway. And you'd probably feel really foolish if you lost control of your truck and ran into somebody you care about. Don't think it couldn't happen to you.
In my defense,when i did this it was at about 2am on a empty highway on my way home from work.I dont do these things during the day on a busy roadway.

Yep. I've done it all. But I grew up and realized the error of my ways. Now I do what I can to keep my family--and my fellow Ford truckers--safe. Part of that includes discouraging folks on this forum from finding out the hard way that it's bad when the headlights point at each other like my wife's cousin tragically did on Mother's Day over 8 years ago in his Ford truck.

So I'm not going to apologize for being a bit cantankerous when it comes to people who talk flippantly about speeding and otherwise breaking the law on public roads, putting themselves and others at risk.

Jason

P.S. Check the join date and post count in the upper right corner of my post--I've got a decent handle on what this forum's about. I don't own it, so I try to play by the rules in the TOS and by what the mods say. Tim already told us to knock it off, so even this post is pushing the boundaries a bit.
that story sounds like a drunk driving accident,not a perfectly sober person driving on a empty highway in the middle of the night.I am sorry about your wifes cousins accident,whatever the outcome was of it.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just say "85 mph" thats the speed limit in parts of Texas now! Utah has 80 mph speed limits. A 5 over speeding ticket isn't anything. On the other hand I doubt my trucks would go that fast.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just for the heck of it after reading this I tried this in my crew cab monday on the way home from work, I know it's a diesel and not a 7.5 but since NO ONE has posted times.... I got 14.8 seconds, that was with a 5-speed in OD with 3:55 gears.

Diesel Rod

Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 PM
bfowler97
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ColoradoFordBoys
Just say "85 mph" thats the speed limit in parts of Texas now! Utah has 80 mph speed limits. A 5 over speeding ticket isn't anything. On the other hand I doubt my trucks would go that fast.
wow is it really? yea no matter what the speed limit is ppl will always push for more.

Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
Just for the heck of it after reading this I tried this in my crew cab monday on the way home from work, I know it's a diesel and not a 7.5 but since NO ONE has posted times.... I got 14.8 seconds, that was with a 5-speed in OD with 3:55 gears.

Diesel Rod
thanks bud,was that 4th and 5th or did you just leave it in 5th and hammer down? whats mods do you have?Sounds like my old powerstroke,same tranny and gears but it was a ext.cab so a bit lighter.

Quick Reply: 60-**mph times for 7.5L