6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hill Descent/Advance Trac error messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM
DaktariEd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hill Descent/Advance Trac error messages

New Guy here.
I've had some errors show up multiple times since getting my new 2012 F-250 a couple of months ago: "Hill Descent Control Fault," or "Service Advance Trac."
Took it to the dealer two or three times and they replaced a couple of modules: one related to the RCM (whatever that is) , and one related to the ABS system.
Just got the messages again at a dead stop just after starting up.
I saw a thread here from last month about this same issue but no resolution was posted.
Does anyone have any ideas I can give the service techs when I take it back to the dealer next week?
Thanks!
Ed

PS, 2012, 6.7 L PowerStroke Diesel, Lariat Ultimate pkg, 4x4; only mod is a 50 gal extended range fuel tank.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Do you drive on loose gravel, sand or mud alot?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM
DaktariEd
New User
Some gravel and dirt but these messages are occurring on dry pavement, and the last was at a standstill!

Ed

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of these faults. But then I don't have Hill Descent with the dually. Wish I could offer some help. I bet somebody will chime in here pretty soon with some ideas.

I would like to say congrats on the truck and welcome to FTE.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
You will sometimes get that error if you've been driving on loose gravel, sand, etc for an extended amount of time. The system tries to keep wheel spin under control but can't so it just gives up. If you're not and they've replaced several modules already perhaps the problem is with one or more of the wheel sensors. I think they use standard Halls effect sensors and tone rings at the hubs. I'd check to make sure the sensors are seated and clean. I'd also make sure the tone rings don't have anything packed into them which will impact the sensors ability to read the speed which will then send conflicting signals to the PCM.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
DaktariEd
New User
Thanks for that info.
I'll pass that along tomorrow when I take it to the dealer (again).
Maybe it will help....

Ed

Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM
DaktariEd
New User
Still getting Hill Descent errors and Advance Track Service errors...three since the last dealer "fix".
They're having a factory technician fly out next week to try to fix it.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
both systems are useless and a product of the government saying what has to come on a vehicle. I have driven my truck in all manner of conditions and see no plausible use for the systems. in fact there are definate times it very well could have caused me to actually get my truck stuck.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:41 PM
tosborne62
New User
Just joined site. This thread is very interesting to me. I just traded my 2004 F350 for a 2014 F350. For a short while, I thought I really had something special. The wife and I went on our first trip with it and found ourselves stranded a few times. Would get a cascade of trouble codes regarding AdvanceTrac, Hill Descent Fault, Engine Overheat, Oil Pressure, ABS Brake, etc. It was when it first started at first - when I was shifting into gear. When it would occur, it would keep running but would would not shift into gear (lights dark). Later during the trip, it happened while I was driving. All the gauges would lay flat (except for fuel gauge) but I was able to keep driving after hitting OK for each trouble message. The air conditioning also quit working. Albeit the fan would still blow but the compressor was not cooling. Every time I would stop and let it sit, everything would eventually start working again; and the check engine light would be on. After a few successful starts, it too would clear out (until the next poltergeist visit). It was the trip from hell. It has now been at the dealer for 2 days and they cannot figure it out. The tech says he has been on the phone with Ford but is getting no help. No one can give an explanation for the onslaught of all those codes at one time and then it operates fine the next time. They're talking about letting me pick it up and driving it until there is an all out failure. I guess that means when it leaves me on the side of the road and it has to be towed. I'm catching a boatload of crap from mama bear for spending about $50K on a truck that's unreliable and ditching one that never stranded us and was paid for. Can anyone actually fix what they make anymore? Any suggestions, previous experience, etc. that might help?

Old 04-29-2015, 06:13 AM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hear you on the mama bear concern.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by tosborne62
Just joined site. This thread is very interesting to me. I just traded my 2004 F350 for a 2014 F350. For a short while, I thought I really had something special. The wife and I went on our first trip with it and found ourselves stranded a few times. Would get a cascade of trouble codes regarding AdvanceTrac, Hill Descent Fault, Engine Overheat, Oil Pressure, ABS Brake, etc. It was when it first started at first - when I was shifting into gear. When it would occur, it would keep running but would would not shift into gear (lights dark). Later during the trip, it happened while I was driving. All the gauges would lay flat (except for fuel gauge) but I was able to keep driving after hitting OK for each trouble message. The air conditioning also quit working. Albeit the fan would still blow but the compressor was not cooling. Every time I would stop and let it sit, everything would eventually start working again; and the check engine light would be on. After a few successful starts, it too would clear out (until the next poltergeist visit). It was the trip from hell. It has now been at the dealer for 2 days and they cannot figure it out. The tech says he has been on the phone with Ford but is getting no help. No one can give an explanation for the onslaught of all those codes at one time and then it operates fine the next time. They're talking about letting me pick it up and driving it until there is an all out failure. I guess that means when it leaves me on the side of the road and it has to be towed. I'm catching a boatload of crap from mama bear for spending about $50K on a truck that's unreliable and ditching one that never stranded us and was paid for. Can anyone actually fix what they make anymore? Any suggestions, previous experience, etc. that might help?
I had similar symptoms when my ECM died, except that it only happened twice before it completely quit. It could even be something as simple as the power lead going to the ECM. Hope they get you back on the road and satisfied soon.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Diediker
New User
Broken wire

I had similar error messages including ABS light. Turned out to be a broken wire pair (yellow and black) going to the drivers side front brake. The break occurred at a plug connection located along the left frame beam across from the oil pan. Wires were broken close to the plug, so I got a replacement female end from NAPA and soldered it on. No errors, no hits, no runs.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diediker
I had similar error messages including ABS light. Turned out to be a broken wire pair (yellow and black) going to the drivers side front brake. The break occurred at a plug connection located along the left frame beam across from the oil pan. Wires were broken close to the plug, so I got a replacement female end from NAPA and soldered it on. No errors, no hits, no runs.
My business partner has been having fits chasing this problem on his 2013. Dealer checks, replaces something and 2 or 3 days later it starts up intermittently. I keep telling him it's a bad connection somewhere. It's not like he could find it though, turning the ignition key is about the extent of his mechanical abilities.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Steven Nava Jr.
New User
Hill descent fault/ advancetrac

I'm experiencing the same warning lights and messages. Has anyone found an answer?
2012 f350 6.7 diesel

Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Gints
Senior User
As stupid as it sounds, wiggle harness plug on parking brake, take it off and zipptay it somewhere ells.

Quick Reply: Hill Descent/Advance Trac error messages