1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nik's 97 350 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do the last oil change? Or did someone else? Maybe they didn't put enough oil back in?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changed it myself and it was topped off... I will check the level again when its not on a slope and see approximately how low I was when I top it off. I will also try the oil cap test and make sure something hasn't gone seriously wrong since the last change...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I don't think you have an issue with injector cups either. That generally results in having fuel in the coolant. I think you're burning the oil. The major places that could account for this are injector o-rings, the injectors themselves, or the turbo. If the turbo has blown the seals, it can use A LOT of oil in a hurry. Typically you see blue smoke from the oil being burned slowly but not burning completely. If you're not seeing a lot of smoke, I would venture to guess that you're putting the oil through the combustion process inside the engine and just using it up. If you're not seeing discoloration in the fuel or filter, I am guessing your o-rings are okay.

Here is what I would do.
-Check the oil level when you're on flat ground and see what you come up with.
-Do the oil cap blowby test (I think you'll be fine)
-Pull the downpipe loose from the turbo so you can pull it back far enough to peer inside. If the turbo is blowing the oil out, you will know it right away when you look inside the DP. It will be all oily.
If all that checks out, then I am guessing that you have an injector or two that has bit the dust and is allowing the oil to bypass the intensifier piston and go into the combustion chamber. This would kind of make sense, if you think about it. If two of the injectors were bad, how far behind do you thin the other 6 were?

You're not running any kind of oil additive are you? Just straight (diesel rated) oil?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I don't think you have an issue with injector cups either. That generally results in having fuel in the coolant. I think you're burning the oil. The major places that could account for this are injector o-rings, the injectors themselves, or the turbo. If the turbo has blown the seals, it can use A LOT of oil in a hurry. Typically you see blue smoke from the oil being burned slowly but not burning completely. If you're not seeing a lot of smoke, I would venture to guess that you're putting the oil through the combustion process inside the engine and just using it up. If you're not seeing discoloration in the fuel or filter, I am guessing your o-rings are okay.

Here is what I would do.
-Check the oil level when you're on flat ground and see what you come up with.
-Do the oil cap blowby test (I think you'll be fine)
-Pull the downpipe loose from the turbo so you can pull it back far enough to peer inside. If the turbo is blowing the oil out, you will know it right away when you look inside the DP. It will be all oily.
If all that checks out, then I am guessing that you have an injector or two that has bit the dust and is allowing the oil to bypass the intensifier piston and go into the combustion chamber. This would kind of make sense, if you think about it. If two of the injectors were bad, how far behind do you thin the other 6 were?

You're not running any kind of oil additive are you? Just straight (diesel rated) oil?
I will do all of this today before I take it in for the third probe install. Like I said I did the turbo and to be honest rebuilding a turbo is very easy... Very confident that is not the issue... Like you mentioned I did take the DP off from the turbo and it was very dry...sooty but dry. (this was last week when working on water injection)

I'll check and see what the coolant looks like but am doubting this is the issue as well. I will still check.

When I top it off I'll do the blowby test but I am guessing its fine as well... I do notice my ccv mod that vents to atmosphere I can smell a little bit of fresh oil on start up in the mornings...I have very sensitive smell and with the window down I can smell it...vents right under my door. Very little pressure coming from the hose though...

I'm pretty sure from multiple issues I have had with this truck that its the injectors... I know I need to get them done ASAP I was hoping to buy myself some time till January... But that may no longer be an option!

I really do appreciate your help! Thank you for the comments and advice!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sure thing man! I hope it is something simple. Injectors wouldn't be all bad. It would just push you to do that mod a little out of turn. I know that right before the holidays is not the time when most people want to make an expenditure like that, but like you said, it may be time. I guess you know what you'll be getting fro Christmas if that's the issue!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Yup so very true... I'm planning on just doing the pump at the same time... So the list goes on. This will be an expensive Christmas...I get injectors, she gets and engine... The bank account gets effed :=)

Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Lol.

Ehhh, the tax man would have taken his share anyway. At least this way he gets effed too!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Lol.

Ehhh, the tax man would have taken his share anyway. At least this way he gets effed too!

Well anytime I can get back at the gov it is winning...thanks for pointing that out... I feel much better about the situation...

Headed to the store here in 15 and then to the mechanic. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Good luck man. Keep on wrenching! You're going to beat this lump of coal into a diamond one of these days.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe i missed this but why have 3 egt probs?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
^^^^x2 was wondering the same thing, but was enjoying watching the thread play itself out.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think he's saying the 2 previous probes went bad and now he's onto the third.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
That is what I understood. Its not a bad idea to have a manifold and post turbo/downpipe probe. Manifold is accurate on motor temp, and downpipe is indicative of when the turbo is cooled down sufficiently. .

Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Good luck man. Keep on wrenching! You're going to beat this lump of coal into a diamond one of these days.
Yeah no kidding I sure hope so... Truck was scanned (nothing stored) and my oil level was a little low but not sure it would be the cause. Pulled the Sensor near the HPOP and man it was covered in what appeared to be raccoon **** (at least that is what it looked like) but was an oil sludge... cleaned it up well and have not had an issue yet. The truck used quite a bit of oil in around 4k miles...it never did this before so I need to figure out where the oil has gone(max before was .3 quarts in 5k miles)....I'm wondering if its seepage past the rings on the cold mornings till the motor warms up, or its the injectors starting to fail and letting a bit of oil bypass into the fuel before atomization.

Once again we did a compression test and the numbers were top notch on all 8... no pressure escaping from the VC and that is what I was most worried about.

I havn't had any problem so far but am in need of injectors to rid the sticking issue. I want to go bigger anyways before i get tunes reburned. I have my boss' truck to do in two weeks and then hopefully onto mine in the future.

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Maybe i missed this but why have 3 egt probs?
I'm a weirdo... After reading previous EGT threads and the difference between manifold and turbo temps I decided to have one in both manifold and post turbo to campare temps and to keep an eye on each bank of injectors. Recently saw a guy have to replace a motor due to a failed injector ruining #4 and melting down...in turn toasting the motor... so I figure why not just throw another pyro in there to watch the passenger side bank as well, especially once I get new sticks...

Its just caution that's all... overkill i know, but I will def say the post turbo and and at manifold temp differences I have seen in all my tunes over the past few months are not anything close to what I have read on here... these are 3 identicle pyros by Autometer...no brand variance either.

Just thought I'd add a third in the passenger bank.

Originally Posted by Awitte58
^^^^x2 was wondering the same thing, but was enjoying watching the thread play itself out.
Originally Posted by tshrager
up above^^^

Originally Posted by glovemeister
That is what I understood. Its not a bad idea to have a manifold and post turbo/downpipe probe. Manifold is accurate on motor temp, and downpipe is indicative of when the turbo is cooled down sufficiently. .
Agreed 100%. I like comparing the different readings under different circumstances, and towing conditions...keep a log book of it, and hope some day I can write up an extensive thread about the differences I saw.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
O i understand what you are doing now. Thanks for clearing it up for us.

Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread