1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

new guy to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 21411
the thing drove nicer than my wife's 2011 kia.
And with a much cooler horn, I'll bet.... Congrats, good move.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm thinking train horns are in order.

its funny i mentioned the turbo whistle and the wife made a not so happy face, i said what you didn't know it was a turbo?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She is probably thinking "turbo whistle" like a fart can Honda and not the manly sounds that a Turbo Diesel V8 makes!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Elder User
i think she's worried about the neighbors getting upset. I have a bad habit of taking off mufflers.

she is going to love this truck, it's huge, it's comfy, and we can get a boat.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 21411
i think she's worried about the neighbors getting upset. I have a bad habit of taking off mufflers.

she is going to love this truck, it's huge, it's comfy, and we can get a boat.
These trucks aren't bad without the mufflers. Mine was straight piped for a while and it was a little louder than I liked for corporate America but they're not bad.

And all that stuff you list....That's all for her, right? Lol (the boat too right?)

Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Elder User
actually yeah it is all for her! all i wanted was a diesel, even looked at VW, she feels like this is a tank and our son will be very well protected should something go wrong on the road. and she is the one that has a party barge picked out.

funny story she asked if my "new" truck will tow a 26' boat, i kinda chuckled and asked how many? hahahaha

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
These trucks aren't bad without the mufflers. Mine was straight piped for a while and it was a little louder than I liked for corporate America but they're not bad.

And all that stuff you list....That's all for her, right? Lol (the boat too right?)
haha I know the feeling. I kinda enjoy it! Our company finally got rid of the 'executive' parking so now all of us who are actually here at 630 get the good spots! I love having my truck tower over everything and sit right at the front door so when customers and our executives walk in they see it.
Its hilarious when ill be talking about ford diesel and somebody goes "IS THAT YOUR BLUE MONSTER TRUCK!?"

People know me. lol
but it aint THAT big, just bigger than your Honda.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Elder User
Originally Posted by Awitte58
it aint THAT big, just bigger than your Honda.
that is pretty much what i told her, it seems big at first, then everything else is just small. felt like a king driving it instead of my mustang.

new question?! Is it bad for the engine to cold start these with out being plugged in? or just the risk of no start/ battery drain down?

i tried searching but try typing cold start diesel into google brings up hillbillys pouring ether on glow plugs and "look at the white smoke HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I wouldn't say that starting them cold is bad for them, it's just harder to get them to fire and they take longer to warm up. That PSD is close to 1000 pounds of cast iron. It takes a while to get all that iron heated up. Plugging it in just help it warm up faster. Plus if you leave the Vents on defrost, when you plug it in, it will help keep the frost off the windshield. Mine only gets plugged in if it is below freezing overnight. It starts fine without being plugged in, it just runs nicer when it is warmed up a little and it heats up faster.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
lol Its not bad for these engines to cold start it without being plugged in.
You will have to cycle the glow plugs longer for it to start, but it doesnt hurt it by any means.

I guess you could speculate that it will wear down your GPR, GPs, batteries, and starter faster... but no real longterm damage is done.

and yeah... theres a lot of idiots out there with diesels. hence y the EPA hates us.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Rats beat me to it! lol

And rather than google searching it... check out the sticky threads Here on FTE! This one has a lot on hard starts...it has part numbers.. lots of good info!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ke-thread.html

Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Any engine will experience more wear when started at a lower temperature. So if you have an opportunity, yeah, it's better to plug it in. Put it on a timer, though, because more than about 3 hours of runtime is a waste. And if you can't plug it in, don't sweat it; just make sure you keep your oil fresh and have a good glow plug circuit and strong batteries, and as said, run the GPs an extra 15-20 seconds (in case you don't know, the glow plugs stay on long after the WTS light goes off).

Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Elder User
thanks for the link. and the piece of mind, i was wondering about all the diesels that go to work in a field or some where there is no power available.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Elder User
ok i picked up the truck sat. i told her to strap the baby in back and ill see her at home. this was the first time the wife heard it, her jaw dropped. bone stock, btw. she grabbed the car seat and said we will see you at home. so we get it home, and go to sell the mustang and end up taking her car to carmax and buying her a "new" car too.

next morning it's chilly outside, took about 3-5 minutes of cycling gp's and cranking to get it started. fogged up the whole block with white smoke. OOPS! check the weather its 32*. ok so somewhere between 40* and 32* there is a point where it needs to be plugged in. now i know.

so last night we get home, and i'm feeling smart ill cycle the plugs a few times to get it started, 3 sec crank and its running. i make her drive around the block so i know what it sounds like. (school bus) and put it on a timer for the morning. ha ha i think i got this, no worries.

go to start it before work heated for 3 hours. fires right up, beautiful!!

and on the highway at 70 mph its around 2,000 rpm and singing a beautiful song, slight hint of turbo! which i enjoyed for 40 min straight since the radio is no good. i was amazed at this old 1 ton. it rides better than my '05 mustang! tracks straight, steering has some play, and the wheel is off to the left. going straight the wheel is at 10:30 position.

my wife was so worried that i would miss the mustang. no chance of that. my only regret was not getting one of these years ago.

long story short; i'm loving this truck

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Good to hear that you're smitten!

The GP system should work fine in weather like that. Mine starts right up regardless of how cold it seems to be, I just plug it in when it gets below 32 or so, so it warms up faster. Use a test light and test the GPR. When you turn the key to the run position, you should be getting battery voltage at both the big terminals on the GPR (above the passenger side valve cover). Also, "cycling" the glow plugs does exactly -- nothing. The GPs come on when you turn the key to the run position and stay on a long time longer than the stupid "Wait to Start" (WTS) light. They can stay on for up to 2 minutes. The tell take sign is to watch the volt meter on the dash. When you turn the key on, you should hear the GPR click on under the hood and the volt meter ticks way over to the left if the GPs are working. The volt meter will stay over there even after the truck starts and if you watch it a while you will see if flick back over to the middle when the GPR turns off. The best thing to do when it is cold out if the truck isn't plugged in is to turn the key on and wait 30 seconds or so before you hit the starter. Oh and DO NOT give in to the temptation to use ether on your truck. That stuff is like crack for your diesel. IT KILLS!

If you check the GPR and it checks out okay you might have a few GP's that need to be replaced, in which case I would recommend you do all 8 at once. It's not a bad job, it just takes a while.

Welcome to the addiction!

Quick Reply: new guy to diesel