1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F3 - I'd like to move the gas tank out of the cab.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
whitley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 F3 - I'd like to move the gas tank out of the cab.

Taking all advice on relocating the gas tank out of the cab.
Can I reuse the one I have?
Any recommendations on a different model to mount under the bed?

Thanks!
Sam

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Sam,
We used a 1970 22 gallon mustang tank (new) - it fits out back
& gives you 38% more range than the stock 16 gallon tank.
We found our's on Rock Auto for around $110. Jniolin has a nice tutorial
on how to do this mod.

The one thing that I'd caution you on is the tank sender unit operates on 10 - 73 amps - most after market gauges are 10 to 240 amps. You will need to install a new universal sender in the tank if you are using new gauges.

Have fun over there! We were happy to get the old stinky gas tank out of the cab - very happy.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,933 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Sam,

There are several options and you are only limited by your creativity. There are a couple of things that you should consider first that may help steer you in the right direction;
1st, what guages are you going to be using? you'll want a tank/sending unit that is compatible
2nd, where do you envision the fuel filler neck? in the bed? right fender? left fender? create a fuel door? etc
3rd, are you going to be fuel injected or carbureted?

The reason for the guage question is that its a whole lot easier to have the sender match the gauge. GM's before mid 60's - 0-30 Ohms, after mid 60's - 0 -90 Ohms, Ford before late 80's - 75-10 Ohms, late 80's and up 15-170 Ohms, aftermarket is 240 - 30 Ohms.

For the fuel filler location, the Mustang tank's filler is at the top rear of the tank and most people put the filler neck in the bed floor. Some people use the mid 80's full size Bronco tank, its filler is in the top towards the driver's side. I used the full sized Blazer tank which has a filler towards the passenger side.

Fuel inkjected or carbed? with a carbed tank you just need the main fuel line and possible a vent. For fuel injected you'd want to have a fuel return line as well and possible and in tank pump.

I used a mid late 80's full size Blazer tank in my 49. The come in 2 sizes; 24 gallon and 38 gallon. I used the big one because it was a freebie. Due to the depth of the tank I had to mount it even with the top of the fram rails which meant relocating a crossmember. I also do not have room for a underbed spare tire.

The late RandyJack used the full sized Bronco tank on his 56. You might do a search and see if you can find the info on it. It was a nice install.

jnoilon has a great article on installing a Mustang tank (it was actually the article that lead me to this site originally)

I've also heard tales of Jeep tanks and Montero tanks

Good luck
Bobby

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
whitley
Junior User
Thanks for the leads and advice. I will look into it all and get back to you!
Sam

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Sam,
One thing to keep in mind when looking at the different tanks is the width so it fits between the rails & the depth. Some of those big bronco tanks will stick down far enough to be very visible from the rear. I also didn't want the tank to be the lowest thing in the back in case we bottomed out (a possibility with my 20 year old son driving).

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 274 Likes on 110 Posts
I will be using the 1970 mustang 22gallon tank which should arrive tomorrow. I will post some pics along the way and follow in the footsteps of others on this site as there are a couple of nice write up's on it.
W

QUOTE=ben73058;12481894]Hey Sam,
One thing to keep in mind when looking at the different tanks is the width so it fits between the rails & the depth. Some of those big bronco tanks will stick down far enough to be very visible from the rear. I also didn't want the tank to be the lowest thing in the back in case we bottomed out (a possibility with my 20 year old son driving).

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1[/QUOTE]

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
I'm using the mustang tank also. So far, my only issue is with the fill neck. I really don't want it on the bed floor because I plan on using it as a truck. Might not have a choice though. Otherwise it fits perfectly. I did have to cut a hole in the top for the sending unit.
Mike

Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I dont want to cut a hole in my bed either!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Guys,
Hmmm.. I also like to use my truck as a truck at times. We put the filler door in the bed - it comes out of the top of the tank not sure there are many options with that tank. I've only had one occasion where my son was hauling a couch up to college where we had to fill up with a load in the truck. Yep - Zack holding the couch up in the air while we filled her up... You just have to plan a bit - not much of an inconvenience.

We used a boat filler door so it doesn't look too bad in the bed.

I also recommend anyone putting in this '70 mustang tank read through the thread below - pay particular attention to the part where they cut a hole in the top of the tank to put in the after market 240ohm - 33ohm sender.
You use (2) senders on this tank - the original '70 sender to bring in the fuel line & the second hole on top for the modern sender to talk to your
modern fuel gauge if you are using one.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-1955-a.html

Good luck to everyone.
Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
That looks nice and clean Ben. I don't have a bed floor or tailgate yet, so I'm still looking at all my options. I did have to cut the hole for the top-mounted sending unit and used the original pick-up on the front edge.
I think I might be able to cut out a half-circle in the top of the rear x-member and the bottom of the tailgate. I'd like to use a gm style flip up license plate to cover it. Maybe mount that to the tailgate? Who know's. I can think about while I wire the rest of the truck.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Mike,
It would be ideal to bring the filler out through a flip up license plate.
It's all about how much room you have between the top of the tank & the bed floor - pretty tight to bend a filler hose through there & out the back end. I think I've seen it done but not sure what mods they had to make.
We took the path of least resistance. I was real happy to get it out of the cab.

I didn't read the fine print on the instructions on here so I went with only the '70 mustang sender originally - there is no adapter & only (1) ugly fuel gauge that reads that style of sender at least at Autometer. So we put the second sender in up top - much easier to do it up front but you learn.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I always thought this filler location looked nice and was very functional. The problem with the filler in the floor according to those that have done it is that if you ever are hauling anything you have to move the load in ordered to fill up.

Normally I also go for the larger tanks but I don't think that I'll ever be driving mine long distances so the larger tanks would eventually cause me an old gas problem. (that's different than an old F-rt problem )

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
reg1952
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Carvan in my shop the other day for repairs.It was one that had been modified for wheel chairs.They cut the hole floor out of these thing to get everthing to work.But what i was looking at was the fuel tank.It was replaced with a poly tank at the rear with the pump in it.It measures 27x22x9.Could make a great replacement tank for some of our trucks.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
whitley
Junior User
I was kicking around the idea of installing a fabbed up truck box in the back that would sit below the bed sides. I would use the existing gas tank, and mount it inside that box. That way I would have a little storage, and the tank would be inside another box. I would cut a hole in the bottom, and through the bed for the fuel line.
What does everybody think of that idea??

Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Since you are thinking about using your original tank, you did not indicate why you want to move the tank. I drove Willard, my 49 for a number of years with the original tank in the stock position without issue and will maintain it the same after the build.
The reasons that the tank is usually moved/replaced include:
* Don't like it in the cab/safety
* Want more capacity
* Need to change tanks to incorporate a new/different fuel sender
* Want more legroom/move seat back
* Fuel injection requires a return line to the tank.

I am using original instruments but 12v. Am not concerned about a gas tank in the middle of the truck-lots of metal around the middle. Capacity at about 15 gallons works for me. Original seats or most other seats (mine are Ranger seats) will hit at the top of the seatback before the tank. I am going carb but would look at welding in another bung in the original tank (after thoroughly steaming out the tank to clean it)

Quick Reply: 1949 F3 - I'd like to move the gas tank out of the cab.