Cheapo Ebay Wheel Bearing Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cheapo Ebay Wheel Bearing Assemblies

Hey guys and gals,

Im really bored at work, suspect Im going to have to change my wheel bearing assemblies next year (symptoms only with hubs locked in 2 wheel drive, left front squealing, new everything installed except wheel bearings and bearings inside the diff) and I was searching for a good deal.

Came across some really cheap prices on ebay ( FORD FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY 4X4 ABS 8 LUG NEW | eBay ) and was curious if anyone has actually used these and had decent luck with them?

Im not saying Im gonna buy em, but I could buy 4 sets of these cheapies for every 1 "good" set I can buy up here (up here the economy assemblies are 240, the premium ones are 420).

I know they wont be as good, I know (and dont care) that they arent made in North America, Im JUST curious if anyone on here has used them at all?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well..... the "other" part number listed is a Timken number, and the picture looks the same as any other. For $108.75 shipped you're still $60 below Autozone. I'd say it's worth a shot. Even if it only lasts a couple of years you're still money ahead IMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not ahead any if it fails on the road somewhere.
Not saying it's not a good part, but I would keep researching

Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All of them will fail eventually. On the road somewhere or not is blind luck. Regardless of how expensive the part is.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
The way I look at it is I got the Timken units for $183 dollars a piece. They have a 3 yr warranty, in 2 1/2 yrs or sooner I will take them off and get new ones I figure when the cheap ones go out you are gonna wear tires wrong and everything. So it's worth the money for the better ones, that way I don't have to change it out all the time. Plus you don't have to buy multiple in the mean time. Just IMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Have those exact hubs on my Ex right now "detroit axle" been on there since August no issues so far, but only have 500 miles on it due to some other pending work, so not time tested. No problem getting them installed, looked good out of the box and I checked the materials, measured the stud distances etc. Rear bearings are this weekend.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I was starting to sorta think like you were Scott, they were cheap enough to try.

I cant find premium ones for anywhere nears the price either.

Sammie I might bug ya later on to see how they are holding up for you. Did you buy them from that exact ebay seller?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheldn... just an FYI... Ford decided to change the thread pitch on the studs in 2003. Anyway, do like I did, throw on a set of coarse thread assemblies from Timken and swap out the lug nuts... everything else is exactly the same except the price. Timken/Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front (515020) | 2003 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com

Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Think I am going to try one of these. I need a wheel bearing and considering how little mileage I put on my vehicle, I would be happy to try one of these and see how it goes.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wasn't sure if these came with the pictures ABS sensor in them but I currently have one on order with the listed Ebay dealer and Horizon Ford. Considering no cancelling the other from Horizon and maybe do a comparison of the two and install them on the truck at the same time. Figured it would be a great contribution to the site.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Out of curiosity Alex, what was the proce on the one from Horizon?

I know Ed aint there anymore, but are they still giving out decent prices?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
Sheldn... just an FYI... Ford decided to change the thread pitch on the studs in 2003. Anyway, do like I did, throw on a set of coarse thread assemblies from Timken and swap out the lug nuts... everything else is exactly the same except the price. Timken/Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front (515020) | 2003 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com
Thats for the info too! So in 03 we actually had the fine threaded studs?

I used to work as a tire guy for 5ish years a few years back, and most of the fine details I left behind with me at the shop

Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM
srteach
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro

I used to work as a tire guy for 5ish years a few years back, and most of the fine details I left behind with me at the shop
The part from that link is the course thread. The fine threads are 2.0 pitch.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 2003 was fine thread, maybe some years of the EX's too, can't remember. Either way, the fine threads are like double the cost, I've heard do to supply and demand, more coarse thread applications than fine. Everything on the assembly is exactly the same except the studs, I just swapped out the lug nuts and saved myself some $$$

Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

Im really bored at work, suspect Im going to have to change my wheel bearing assemblies next year (symptoms only with hubs locked in 2 wheel drive, left front squealing, new everything installed except wheel bearings and bearings inside the diff) and I was searching for a good deal.

Came across some really cheap prices on ebay ( FORD FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY 4X4 ABS 8 LUG NEW | eBay ) and was curious if anyone has actually used these and had decent luck with them?

Im not saying Im gonna buy em, but I could buy 4 sets of these cheapies for every 1 "good" set I can buy up here (up here the economy assemblies are 240, the premium ones are 420).

I know they wont be as good, I know (and dont care) that they arent made in North America, Im JUST curious if anyone on here has used them at all?
How can you go wrong with that price? By an extra for a spare for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Cheapo Ebay Wheel Bearing Assemblies