Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

November Chat/All Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the wife drove up to northeast Arkansas today and drove this back:

She had been looking at these and I said, "you don't want a minivan", but after looking at what else was available I changed my mind. Yea, not the best mileage, but it should be as good as the escape was, and a whole heck of a lot roomier.

I found this one on craigslist this morning and she took off after it.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
She had been looking at these and I said, "you don't want a minivan", but after looking at what else was available I changed my mind. Yea, not the best mileage, but it should be as good as the escape was, and a whole heck of a lot roomier.
I'm not sure if I should say congratulations or my condolences At least you didn't do the same thing we did last Spring and park a Honda in the driveway. Better mileage? While the Odyssey was powered by a 3.5L V6...it was getting low '20s on average.

Mobile Theater (Honda Odyssey) | Fuelly

I think it could have gotten a little better mileage if I would have pull a restricter plate on it. But chances are I would have ended up dead if I tried that stunt. Good looking van either way Joe!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
While the Odyssey was powered by a 3.5L V6...it was getting low '20s on average.
That's not much different. Our 4.2L Freestar gets ~20 puttering around and 22-24 on the freeway.

Momma's gonna love that thing Joe..... and if it's a 4.2L you might even find it tolerable. I think the 06 4.2L is a 205hp motor. Motivates the little van surprisingly well.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cookie88
Momma's gonna love that thing Joe..... and if it's a 4.2L you might even find it tolerable. I think the 06 4.2L is a 205hp motor. Motivates the little van surprisingly well.
200 Hp at the flywheel you say? Wonder what kind of trouble you could get into if you put a custom exhaust & tuner on it? No such thing as too much power, right Scott?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
200 Hp at the flywheel you say? Wonder what kind of trouble you could get into if you put a custom exhaust & tuner on it? No such thing as too much power, right Scott?
Don't think I haven't thought about it. The aftermarket for the 4.2 is based on the truck platform, but a lot of it looks like it would go on to the transverse mount pretty easily. Other than the exhaust stuff. None exists in a freestar application.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Speaking of custom exhaust...tonight on the way home from work/dinner I was sitting next to a '11 F250 KR; I'm assuming it's a 2011 since had a used car dealer's tag on the back. Anyway when I first pulled up to it I thought it was a Dodge with a straight pipe...but then I realize it had an a/m exhaust. At idle, it sounds like one of the old 12 valve Cummins...until the vanes cycle. Every time he "got on it" leaving a traffic light...you could hear the turbo for a few moments, then it was all V8 rumble. Unlike my beloved 6.0L where it's all turbo scream...all the time. Something to think about if you have a spare $52k laying around; the 6.7L sounds great with an a/m exhaust.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Speaking of custom exhaust...tonight on the way home from work/dinner I was sitting next to a '11 F250 KR; I'm assuming it's a 2011 since had a used car dealer's tag on the back. Anyway when I first pulled up to it I thought it was a Dodge with a straight pipe...but then I realize it had an a/m exhaust. At idle, it sounds like one of the old 12 valve Cummins...until the vanes cycle. Every time he "got on it" leaving a traffic light...you could hear the turbo for a few moments, then it was all V8 rumble. Unlike my beloved 6.0L where it's all turbo scream...all the time. Something to think about if you have a spare $52k laying around; the 6.7L sounds great with an a/m exhaust.

Funny you say that, I was over at my grandmothers. Nothing but turbo whistle & light exh. tone. She thought something was wrong with it.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Funny you say that, I was over at my grandmothers. Nothing but turbo whistle & light exh. tone. She thought something was wrong with it.
And this was on a ????

I can't wait until the warranty runs out on the Fungus, it needs an EcoBoost turbo and a custom tune for a little more...uh, efficiency.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
And this was on a ????

I can't wait until the warranty runs out on the Fungus, it needs an EcoBoost turbo and a custom tune for a little more...uh, efficiency.
6.0.... Guess I need to wake up before replying to posts.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Will P.
Senior User
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Will beat me to it, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Happy Thanksgiving from South Mississippi

Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Happy thanksgiving from colorful Colorado!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, and safe travels everyone.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tojoski
safe travels everyone.
Well they weren't unsafe, however.........

Got up at 4:30 Sunday morning and headed home from Denver.

About 4 hours east of Denver, near Colby Ks., I suddenly and quite without warning found myself coasting to a stop. No forward gears, no reverse..... no nothing. Not a pleasant situation to be in when one is still 734 miles from home. Torque converter failure.

Got my shiny new AAA card out and called for a wrecker, which promptly arrived 1 1/2 hours later. Guy showed up with a rollback, so the family and I rode the remaining distance in to Colby in the van on the deck of the wrecker.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Colby Kansas..... but I can tell you from experience that it is closed on Sunday. The only things open are the hotel we stayed in, the truck stop next to it, and the Pizza Hut. So from 12:30 Sunday afternoon until 10:00 am Monday that's where we were. The up side is the Broncos game was on tv, and we got quite a bit of family "share" time.

Monday was even more entertaining. I have a cousin that lives in Abilene Ks, about 4 hours east of my position, that most graciously offered to come out with his car hauler. A very nice 20' tilt bed with a winch. So we loaded the van on the trailer, the five us and the dog into the cab of his F-150 (supercrew thank God!) and headed east. I had also arranged for my mother to drive up from Higden, AR. to meet us in Abilene. Miraculously we arrived at cousins house within 5 minutes of each other. From there it was a simple process of transferring the trailer from cousins truck to moms 04 navigator so I could drive us the remaining 9 hours home.

We arrived home at about 1:30 Tuesday morning. Got all out crap out the van and the trailer off the truck just in time for me to get 3 hours of sleep before work yesterday.

Got an acceptable amount of sleep last night. Worked today and have yet to even think about unloading the van..... moreover working on it.

Talked to Ford today. There is a recall on 04 and 05 Freestar minivans for............ you can probably guess it at this point....... torque converter failure. I have to get back with them to see "if" the vin on my 06 is early enough to be covered under the recall, but I'm not holding my breath. Might as well make plans on doing it myself.

*sigh*

Quick Reply: November Chat/All Topic Thread