1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set up for your trailer's winch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
gilby959798
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set up for your trailer's winch?

Well I went and rescued my neighbor because his car broke down on him but I didn't have a winch. Luckily we were able to get the car on the trailer with 4 of us pushing. I got home and told the wife it's time to buy a winch for the trailer.i am also buying a tool box for the car trailer with plans to keep the winch inside the box and figured I would see how you guys are doing it... Please post details like how it's mounted, battery location, is it charged when you're going down the road, any other helpful tips on what to do and what not to do... Thanks!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I don't have anything like this but have seen it done. I would mount a reciever tube at the right height to the front of your trailer. Keep the winch in the tool box. You could do a battery or I have always thought about those heavy duty power cables that we mount on the rescue truck at work. We run a portable winch with ours. They have a quick connect end and you could have it run directly off your truck so you could keep in running and keep the power going, and when done disconnect and put it away in your weather proof box

Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
gilby959798
Senior User
I was thinking of doing the power cables to save from not having a battery go dead when I need it most. I will run cables back and mount a plug right next to the trailer plug. I'm planning on mounting it right inside the toolbox and have the fairlead on a nice piece of c channel mounted to the frame of the trailer... I want to protect the winch and when I go somewhere I want it locked in the box as well. The receiver idea is one to keep in mind though!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
This episode of Gearz is all about setting up a trailer with a winch, battery and tool boxes.

Gearz Episodes: Trailer Towing and Modification | Stacey David's GearZ

Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
gilby959798
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
This episode of Gearz is all about setting up a trailer with a winch, battery and tool boxes.

Gearz Episodes: Trailer Towing and Modification | Stacey David's GearZ
That's a damn nice setup... Just wish I could afford all that.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
use long maybe 25' basically jumper cables with one end terminated to eyelets attached to the winch. that way you can power the winch with any tow vehicles battery.

running a plug to the rear of your truck is great if your the only one to use the trailer and winch. but with long cables on the trailer the winch can be used by any tow vehicle.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by gilby959798
That's a damn nice setup... Just wish I could afford all that.
I think I would have run a power lead to the trailer plug, to charge the battery while you're driving the truck.

I would also add a spare tire to the trailer.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
gilby959798
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
I think I would have run a power lead to the trailer plug, to charge the battery while you're driving the truck.

I would also add a spare tire to the trailer.
the trailer already has a spare on it although I am going to move locations of it since it is always in the way when I am strapping down a car. Luckily for me, no one has even asked to borrow the trailer and most of the people I know dont have a truck that would pull a loaded trailer and everyone that does already has a trailer. I was searching last night and a guy made a system that bolted to the tongue of the trailer and then had a receiver to connect the winch and be able to take it off and store in in the tool box. I am between this and actually mounting it right into the tool box if I can find a box that will fit my application. I dont want to put anything on the deck of the trailer because it is only a 20' (18 +2) and I will have the need to eventually put my GMC on the trailer to take it to paint. I also dont want to limit my turning radius, so I am going to probably play around with my truck box and see if something like that would work or if I should get one that would without obstructing the truck and still have enough space to keep the straps and such. I am trying to clean up my truck box and get stuff that is only for the trailer out of there.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I mounted a big C-channel on top of the trailer tongue, trimmed to the same angle, which bolts to the web of the tongue with some wide 3/8 strap.

the battery sits in a cage directly beneath the C-channel for the winch and is bolted to the bottom flange of the tongue.

I was in a hurry when i wired it, so i just have to charge the battery for now, but eventually it will charge off the B+ at the trailer plug. just haven't done it yet.

only draw back is the sheer weight sitting on the tongue. the winch plate is removable, but i never take it off. i'll try to get some pics tonight, if you would like.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 AM
gilby959798
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
I mounted a big C-channel on top of the trailer tongue, trimmed to the same angle, which bolts to the web of the tongue with some wide 3/8 strap.

the battery sits in a cage directly beneath the C-channel for the winch and is bolted to the bottom flange of the tongue.

I was in a hurry when i wired it, so i just have to charge the battery for now, but eventually it will charge off the B+ at the trailer plug. just haven't done it yet.

only draw back is the sheer weight sitting on the tongue. the winch plate is removable, but i never take it off. i'll try to get some pics tonight, if you would like.
please do, if its not too much of a trouble. Thank!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 180 Posts
I picked up an inexpensive Harbor Freight winch. Mounted to the bed of the trailer at the very front; it's bolted to the frame.

When I hook up the trailer, I just grab the battery (I have a few spare batteries in the garage) and the winch controller. Takes about 2 minutes to hook up.

It's not perfect, but certainly not expensive or extravagant.

Scott

Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
not very good pics, but it was dark this morning.

there's about an inch of clearance between the bottom of the C-channel and the top of the battery post. just enough room to snake your hands in there to get a battery charger hooked up. Like i said though, it is a quick fix to wire it up correctly to charge off your trailer plug.

the battery cage is held on by grade 8 1/4-20 cap screws threaded directly to the bottom flange of the trailer tounge - torqued to spec - then there is a nylon lock nut torqued to speck to make double sure it cannot vibrate loose.

the bolts that hold the winch to the tongue are stainless steel and are threaded directly to the web of the trailer tongue.

the c-channel is a big mammer-jammer that came off a bridge built in 1929. Wouldnt have to be that big, but it is what i could get my hands on for free.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM
gilby959798
Senior User
Clicky

I found this and that is a possibility and I ordered my winch so once I get it in I'll figure out exactly what I'm going to do...

Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
A hand crank winch, mounted to the front of the trailer is what I have. Not enough for moving a vehicle onto the trailer - I damn near killed myself trying to winch up a golf car with 4 flat tires. Fortunately we had an aux winch (also hand cranked) in the toolbox. Between the two of them it worked.

Good to see how others do this!

Quick Reply: Set up for your trailer's winch?