Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb or stick with efi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus! Please get spell check on your computer.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Max torque and HP do not come from carbs. Why do you think nearly every form of racing uses fuel injection? F1, NASCAR, even motorcross dirtbikes use EFI now.

are U 12??? Carbs are Superior mixers when it comes to fuel/air mix.

HENCE direct injection dumb azz !!!

Do your home work before U flame me

I forgot more then U will ever know !

Where carbs fail is cold start and elevation changes ...........

tHE NEXT DUMB AZZ ???

Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pro3qtr

tHE NEXT DUMB AZZ ???
I guess that's me.

Knock off the personal attacks, please.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I guess that's me.

Knock off the personal attacks, please.
Sorry

Same post since 1997, it gets old.....................

Maybe a APP should be filed out to posters have some creditably ????

Good GOD after a Mechanic since age 10, 23 yrs AF i MIGHT know WTH I am talking about.

oh sugar coating I am not good at, sorry.

Will go back to lurking

Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pro3qtr
are U 12??? Carbs are Superior mixers when it comes to fuel/air mix.

HENCE direct injection dumb azz !!!

Do your home work before U flame me

I forgot more then U will ever know !

Where carbs fail is cold start and elevation changes ...........

tHE NEXT DUMB AZZ ???
Are you being serious? How about you do your homework?

Carbs are not superior in anyway. Carbs pretty much dribble large droplets of fuel out the nozzles. Their accelerator pump fires a nearly solid stream of fuel. Neither of those burn. Carbs rely almost entirely on the intake to properly vaporize the fuel. Sometimes the fuel just collects and condenses on the manifold itself. The end result is an uneven, poorly distributed air/fuel mix with nonburnable droplets of fuel entering the engine.

Port fuel injection gives you many benefits. The 40-80 PSI of fuel being forced through a small nozzle makes for fine droplets that readily vaporize. This makes for a far more consistent air-fuel mixture, and allows far more freedom with intake manifold design.

Direct injection uses extremely high pressure 500-2500 PSI, and an extremely fine nozzle to practically atomize the fuel. You can inject the fuel any time you want, you don't have to worry about it pooling behind the intake valves and many more benefits.

A carburetor has nothing, absolutely nothing on fuel injection.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Nice try, DUE your homework !!!
EFI is only as good as the tuner, with WIDE BAND O2 Carb's STILL kick azz.

Mind U, this is only true on a +- 200 feet elevation change where EFI is only better.

Why is this place a site of experts?? U have proved nothing to me???

Carbs rule when set up for a set ELEVATION >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The fault in EFi is where it dumps fuel in the engine (FACT) HENCE why direct injection come to play.

Does a Q jet come to mined ?? The best mixer out there !!!
Next Poodle ????

Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzy613
but i only brought up this question because like i said the built trucks youll never see and efi system on them, why is that? or drag cars, whats so special about a carb that gives them that much more of an increce
Where some people steer away from EFI is when aftermarket tuning is needed. You will spend a fair amount of money to have that done. Or, you can spend less and buy software so you can tune it yourself. However, that usually takes some time and there is a bit of learning curve. With a carb, say for instance a Holley, it wont cost as much to dial it in and you can still get it pretty close; a power valve change, adjust metering blocks and/or change jet sizes.

I stayed with the factory EFI and purchased tuning software so I could do it myself. For me, it has paid for itself considering how many times I've made changes over the years.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you have an automatic (electronic) transmission, and plan on converting to a carb, you'll need an aftermarket transmission controller to operate the transmission.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I post facts and information refuting your nonsensical conjecture, and you reply with "Nice Try".

The fact that you just keep replying "Wideband O2 Carb!" and spouting nonsense like "The fault in EFi is where it dumps fuel in" tells me you literally do not have a single clue what you're talking about. A few of us here on this forum actually have real experience with building and tuning EFI systems - you're clearly not one of them.

Stop being foolish and educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection
http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection.htm
http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/Fuel...ion%20Tech.htm
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h20.pdf
http://xorl.wordpress.com/2011/03/25...stion-engines/

Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blurry94
Where some people steer away from EFI is when aftermarket tuning is needed. You will spend a fair amount of money to have that done. Or, you can spend less and buy software so you can tune it yourself. However, that usually takes some time and there is a bit of learning curve. With a carb, say for instance a Holley, it wont cost as much to dial it in and you can still get it pretty close; a power valve change, adjust metering blocks and/or change jet sizes.

I stayed with the factory EFI and purchased tuning software so I could do it myself. For me, it has paid for itself considering how many times I've made changes over the years.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you have an automatic (electronic) transmission, and plan on converting to a carb, you'll need an aftermarket transmission controller to operate the transmission.

Great LONG post:

But U should never,rEVER go from EFI to carb with HUGE elevation change.

EFI will never come close to peak HP/TorqE as atomaztion is superior when it come to carbs.

No matter how I tune my carbs with a wideband, a swing fron 6000- 8000+ it still runs rich.

with efi is does all the work for me....................

my swing in WA was 300 to 900 max.............LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I post facts and information refuting your nonsensical conjecture, and you reply with "Nice Try".

The fact that you just keep replying "Wideband O2 Carb!" and spouting nonsense like "The fault in EFi is where it dumps fuel in" tells me you literally do not have a single clue what you're talking about.

A few of us here on this forum actually have real experience with building and tuning EFI systems - you're clearly not one of them.

Um OK @!

I still forgot more then U will ever KNOW !@

U have NEVER tuned a carb with a wide band ?? Come on !!
Less the then $500 in the cab !

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I've never tuned a carb with a wideband, but you know what I have tuned with a wideband?

A turbocharged mass-air EFI 460 V8 with 80 lb-hr injectors pushing 500HP, and that output will only go up once it's rebuilt with stronger internals. It starts up, idles, and drives as if it were stock off the showroom floor.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM
pro3qtr
Elder User
So why are U flaming me ?? Have tuned for yrs with a flashlight and magnifier glass.

A CARB will rule till a direct Injected efi will be out for older cars period dot.

FACT is if it STOCK, leave alone and fix it. EFI to carb will always be wrong, BUT Wide band JUST gave carbs NEW life if there is a FLAT altitude life.

Where I liver my are ALL being converted to FAST EFI as carbs can not be tunned out for the best drivability

For now, use a o2 wide band for your carb or FIX the stock EFI

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Just in case you missed the point everyone is making in this thread stick with EFI.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Originally Posted by 86F150302
Jesus! Please get spell check on your computer.

And an AMEN to that

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blurry94

How much did the software cost? im pretty good at computers and i tune carborators on small motors. so i guess im an all around learner but it would be nice to learn how to tune it my self. Oh and what software was it?

Quick Reply: Carb or stick with efi?