1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who runs Goodyear Duratrac tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
I've had my DuraTracs for a year now, I've also ran BFG's forever and just wanted to try something new. I don't plow anymore, but I tow our 4 place snowmobile trailer in the winter all the time. IME the DuraTrac's seem to do a little better than the BFG's in the snow. Meaning the truck requires less effort getting through 6+". Rain wise, the Duratrac's are also better. The only complaint I have ever had with the Goodyear's is a "squirm" when towing. I never got over 40k miles from a set of any BFG's. I expect less than that from the Duratracs. I tow/haul and plowed often with the truck. IMO if you're getting tires mainly for plowing, go with the Duratrac's, just don't expect too much for mileage. Otherwise look for a deal and buy what's cheaper.
I like what your saying about the snow and how good they are, that makes feel a lot better on my purchase. These are not cheap tires, I paid $1200 out the door and got the Goodyear rebate on top of that, my dealer hand wrote me a receipt for the Kevlars which got me $80 back.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 454 Likes on 331 Posts
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Studded tires are illegal in many areas, and I don't know too many customers that would be happy about their parking lot/driveway being torn up by them.
Hmm, I did not know that. They are pretty common up here, and I've never heard any problems with damage to parking lots or roadways.
It's also very common for people here to have two sets of tires for each vehicle, so if you ran studded tires in the winter, you'd have a set of non-studded ones for summertime use.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Hmm, I did not know that. They are pretty common up here, and I've never heard any problems with damage to parking lots or roadways.
It's also very common for people here to have two sets of tires for each vehicle, so if you ran studded tires in the winter, you'd have a set of non-studded ones for summertime use.
I guess they aren't illegal as many places as I thought. Of course they are illegal here in MN, because EVERYTHING is illegal here.

Studded Tires | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I like what your saying about the snow and how good they are, that makes feel a lot better on my purchase. These are not cheap tires, I paid $1200 out the door and got the Goodyear rebate on top of that, my dealer hand wrote me a receipt for the Kevlars which got me $80 back.

Great to hear, I think I paid $1300 for mine.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
These for are going to be a all around tire for me. I do plow commercially in the winter about 9 larger commercial propertys, in the summer I do construction work so I am pulling a 16' cargo trailer full of tools and material or a 12' dump trailer. I have been very happy with the performance of the BFG'S Allterrains, but I can get the Duratracs a little cheaper right now, and am kinda looking for a change. It kinda worrys me when you say that they get squrmy (spelled wrong) when towing. I don't like that feeling at all!! Thats the reason i only owned a set of terra grapplers for 3 days. I have see pics of the Duratracs with white letters which I would love but can't see to find them on any website anywhere. So that is my deal. I don't drive as much as I used to but hoping to get two years out of them. My wife has a set of Firestone Transforce H/T E range on her Expy that have wore great but they look like crap. Still waiting to see if anybody else chimes in.

Thank you to all the responses so far. Keep them coming.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
These for are going to be a all around tire for me. I do plow commercially in the winter about 9 larger commercial propertys, in the summer I do construction work so I am pulling a 16' cargo trailer full of tools and material or a 12' dump trailer. I have been very happy with the performance of the BFG'S Allterrains, but I can get the Duratracs a little cheaper right now, and am kinda looking for a change. It kinda worrys me when you say that they get squrmy (spelled wrong) when towing. I don't like that feeling at all!! Thats the reason i only owned a set of terra grapplers for 3 days. I have see pics of the Duratracs with white letters which I would love but can't see to find them on any website anywhere. So that is my deal. I don't drive as much as I used to but hoping to get two years out of them. My wife has a set of Firestone Transforce H/T E range on her Expy that have wore great but they look like crap. Still waiting to see if anybody else chimes in.

Thank you to all the responses so far. Keep them coming.

I know what you mean, it scared the crap outta me. It seemed to happen more the first 5k miles or so I put on them. I played with tire psi a bit to see if I could lessen it. That seemed to help a little. It never happened with the BFG's. It only happened when towing on the highway I might add. I just put aftermarket wheels on my truck with Toyo MT's, so in another month or so I'll go back to my stock wheels and Duratracs for the winter.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by sammy77
I know what you mean, it scared the crap outta me. It seemed to happen more the first 5k miles or so I put on them. I played with tire psi a bit to see if I could lessen it. That seemed to help a little. It never happened with the BFG's. It only happened when towing on the highway I might add. I just put aftermarket wheels on my truck with Toyo MT's, so in another month or so I'll go back to my stock wheels and Duratracs for the winter.
I have heard that these tires stiffen up after some driving. Don't quite understand that whole concept but that's what I have heard. You say it happened on the highway. What speed? I don't pull my trailer on the highway very often but try to keep it to 65 or 70 when I do. Just trying to see the big picture. Also what size do you run on your stock wheels. I want to go to 305 again, just wondering how the fit. Sorry if you have already posted that.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Also what size do you run on your stock wheels. I want to go to 305 again, just wondering how the fit.
I don't know about Sammy, but I have 305/70R16 on my stock wheels and they fit fine.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I have run 305's on the stock wheels before. But those were BFG'S and the Duratracs are more aggressive. That is why I am wondering.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I have heard that these tires stiffen up after some driving. Don't quite understand that whole concept but that's what I have heard. You say it happened on the highway. What speed? I don't pull my trailer on the highway very often but try to keep it to 65 or 70 when I do. Just trying to see the big picture. Also what size do you run on your stock wheels. I want to go to 305 again, just wondering how the fit. Sorry if you have already posted that.
No worries at all. The 305's will fit. I've had them on my truck in the past(BFG). I'm running stock size tire on my stock wheels 275/70/18. Seems the best for me, cutting thru the snow pulling a trailer and gas mileage and what not. Yep, 65-70mph is what I normally tow at. I'm not exactly a speed demon, especially in the winter with the accidents I've seen! I swear, I lose years off my life making some of my trips up north.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
I don't know about Sammy, but I have 305/70R16 on my stock wheels and they fit fine.

Ditto. They look the best IMO on a stock wheel as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Just wondering. The tire shop is saying 305 will round the top of the tire and is not reccomended.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I ran BFG 305/65/18's on 3 trucks. Never had an issue. Tires always wore evenly, I rotated every 10k.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Just wondering. The tire shop is saying 305 will round the top of the tire and is not reccomended.
They are wrong.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like mine. Only had them about 1,000 miles so I can't really comment on life expectancy. They do have excellent traction in mud and snow, plenty of siping for the ice as well. We got about 8" a couple times last year and truck did very well on virgin roads. As a matter of fact one of my front hubs wan't engaging so I didn't even have 4x4 and I never knew it in either of the storms.

I've read the towing complaints and that was one of my concerns when I got mine, I had a problem once when I first got them, probably only about 20 miles on them but nothing since. That's pulling the exact same trailer with the same weight on the same roads. I tow 8,000lbs fairly regularly and there's no squirm whatsoever anymore.

The only complaint I have w/ them is that the wide tread blocks like to grab little rocks and then throw them at the body when you drive. My truck already has plenty of scratches so it doesn't worry me that much.

Quick Reply: Who runs Goodyear Duratrac tires?