Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light

While in 140hp tunes I gunned it, cel came on. Scanned for codes with the Scan Gauge II and nothing so I force cleared light off. It went off and no issues until I gunned it from a red light in 140hp again. Same thing, cel came on, scanned without any codes, force cleared cel off and have since kept it out of tunes without gunning the truck. Truck is and has been running fine, normal, regardless of cel.

I have two concerns:

1.) what could be my issue with the cel? Only in 140hp tunes and when I gun it does it come on

and 2.) I met a guy with a 2000 F250 7.3 the other night, he said the scan gauge did not work on his truck as far as scanning for error codes. He had an issue that showed with a scan tool from a shop but never on his scan gauge. It did clear the cel but it came right back on but again, when he scanned for codes with it nothing showed.

???

Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Tex, Next time see if it goes out on its own after a few minutes. If it does, its probably from the pcm seeing to much boost. Do you have a boost fooler of some type? If it doesn't go out, you know you'll have to get the codes read or its a guessing game.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprised that the Scan Gauge isn't pulling the code? Although I have never used one.

The code you are likely getting would be a P1211 for uncontrollable ICP. Pretty common in a hot tune with split shot sticks.

One thing to for sure give a code to test would be to unplug the ICP sensor. Then check for codes, you should be getting a P1280 with it unplugged. Then you will know if you can read codes.

One other thing is aren't you running Matt's tunes? You may ask him how/if he tunes around certain codes, maybe it will still light, but no code is given.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
That's the thing, does the Scan Gauge actually work or not? The truck does act like she bogs down a bit in that tune but even when the light is on she runs just fine. I can drive it in that 140hp tune without any issues but the light comes on when I really get it on it as in pedal all the way to the floor screeching tires type getting on it.

With the truck running fine is there actually anything wrong?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
If the code is for uncontrollable ICP what is occurring would be a demand for a certain ICP and not being able to reach that demanded pressure.

But I am still just assuming that is what the code is. It's one of the ones that make sense when "getting on it" as there is a greater demand for higher ICP and due to the oil usage of split shot injectors it is not able to maintain that desired PSI.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Surprised that the Scan Gauge isn't pulling the code? Although I have never used one.

The code you are likely getting would be a P1211 for uncontrollable ICP. Pretty common in a hot tune with split shot sticks.

One thing to for sure give a code to test would be to unplug the ICP sensor. Then check for codes, you should be getting a P1280 with it unplugged. Then you will know if you can read codes.

One other thing is aren't you running Matt's tunes? You may ask him how/if he tunes around certain codes, maybe it will still light, but no code is given.
Can you walk me through how to find and unplug the injector control pressure thingy? Or do you have a pdf or link? Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
Can you walk me through how to find and unplug the injector control pressure thingy? Or do you have a pdf or link? Thanks.
Here is a pic of some of the sensors. Locate the ICP(Injection Control Pressure) sensor(front of the driver's side head) and it has a tab, pull slightly on the tab and lift the connector off. This forces the PCM to use default settings for ICP.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Should I do this with the truck running? And if so and the truck is running without the cel on, will it come on? Will there be any difference in how the truck runs? Will it die?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Either way...off or on, when you turn the key on a constant SES light will be set.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Okay, I started the truck and no cel. Acorrding to Scan Gauge the ICP is fluctuating around 520-ish while idling out of tunes. Pull the sensor off and the ICP goes up to around 720-ish and the cel is now on. Scan for codes and nothing, no codes found. Force clear the cel to off but it stays on. Turn truck off, restart her and the light is still on. Plug back in the sensor, force clear the code and the ICP levels go back down to around 520-ish and the light is off.

I guess Scan Gauge does not work for codes...??

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Like I said, that forces a known code, as you saw.

But I don't know much about those scan gauges, maybe there is a sequence to pulling the codes that you aren't doing.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I'll call Dominic (Snuggyworm on the forum) and find out if it works on his truck as he has one. I'll continue, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help Al, again.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
Tex, Next time see if it goes out on its own after a few minutes. If it does, its probably from the pcm seeing to much boost. Do you have a boost fooler of some type? If it doesn't go out, you know you'll have to get the codes read or its a guessing game.
My boost does get up there, around 30pis when i gun it in tune. I'll take her for a spin here in a bit and see if it goes off on it's own. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
The P1211 will go out on it's own as well, after a while, or with the next key cycle, but either way there are stored codes.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Well I just spoke with Snuggy, he said it pulls codes on his 6.0 without issues. I guess I'll call Scan Gauge on Monday and find out what's going on. I think I may be missing something entered into the gauge. When I first plugged it in I had to insert the engine size and the codes for the gauge for the parameters such as ICP to be able to read them all. Maybe I missed a step.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light