Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing up my 90 F250 4x4 7.3L 5SPD SCLB

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 AM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made the plate with some 1/8" plate I had with help from a vise, jigsaw, angle grinder and drill, pretty rudimentary but it works.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
damarble
Elder User
Had a no-start problem, cranked and cranked until the battery was dead. I noticed my battery cables were in bad shape so after donating a C-note to O'Rielly's I have new cables and it starts instantly. Thanks to this forum for that, I found that solution in another thread.

Found some new bucket seats at the boneyard. Like new, full power and leather out of a Mercury Montego. The passenger seat folds forward for rear access but the driver is fixed, just the way I want.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM
damarble
Elder User
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
damarble
Elder User
I got the power functions of the passenger seat to work but the driver seat has extra junk and it's still not responding. I picked up a wiring diagram book for the donor Montego and it's helpful but still a lot of wires to sort through.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
BearFootCustom
Elder User
Cool build, I love the 86 body style

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
damarble
Elder User
Thanks. A bullnose was the first full size I ever drove so it carries some nostalgia. That said, most of the interior and creature comforts of that period do nothing for me.

I got the driver seat working, there are 3 hots and 2 grounds that have to be hooked up vs the 1 hot, 1 ground of the passenger seat. Memory and heat probably still won't work but I can do without memory and the heat in these particular seats is a faulty design that always goes bad anyway.

FYI, you must hook up the heavy black(ground) and green(hot) wires and the light gauge black/blue stripe(ground) and both orange/green striped(hot) wires.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
damarble
Elder User
I can't draw to save my life but I sketched up a rough idea of a custom dash I have in mind. I'm thinking all sheet metal painted body color except the tubes would be wrapped in foam and vinyl.

I never liked the 80-86 dash that my donor cab is set up for. I could easily adapt my 87-91 dash since I have a complete truck to work from but I don't have any love for it either although I can live with it. The 92-97 dash I like a lot but I'd have to source one and try to splice it in, neither of which would be fun.

So I'm thinking the flat straight across feel of the 70's trucks would be a goal and fairly easy to pull off.

I'm also leaning toward using a steering column out of a 1st gen Explorer. Not too modern but will give me the multifunction switch that I prefer over dash mounted controls. I'm guessing it's a little shorter too so I can get the wheel out of my chest and out to a comfortable reach.

Still hunting down a matching vinyl to my seats. They are a very dark charcoal not a true black. The rear bench will need to be recovered to match and I'll need a little for the dash. Your Auto Trim Store is looking promising.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
damarble
Elder User
So how many different interior colors are too much? For sure I'll have graphite accents to match the seats while most of the rest will be black. Would a second light grey from the pillars up like on modern cars be too much?

Also I've decided on real olive drab for the exterior. Wondering if any bare metal in the cab should be matched. Then there's digital camo headliner material. Too busy?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that's something that's going to depend on personal preference. Personally, I like the looks of the lighter pillars on newer vehicles. I'm not a fan of camo, anywhere, so I think that'd be too busy.

However, like I said, it all depends on what you like!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Hutch17
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems as your project is coming along! personally, I don't think digi camo would look good for the headliner, but like Mr. Gervais said, its up to you! I do like the OD idea for the exterior though! I do think that any bare metal on the interior should be painted to match either the dash and seats or the exterior.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
damarble
Elder User
Yeah the camo is probably too much, I don't typically care for it but I thought it might fit the rig.

I found these door panels on a Bronco that I'm going to base mine off, except the diamond plate would be replaced with olive drab.

And an example of a bullnose super cab in OD, just picture a 6ft black flatbed.

Oh and it turns out a 05 Mercury has the exact same color seats as 07+ GM fullsizes. "Longitude Ebony", stocked by yourautotrimstore.com. Now I know what vehicle to look for to get a center console

Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Zombie Apocalypse truck!!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM
damarble
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Zombie Apocalypse truck!!
Funny enough that's what I'm going for. If it's built zombie tough it should hold up to hauling, working, camping, hunting, etc. Some 37" military take offs on recentered Hummer beadlocks should complete the look.

It's a shame Ford didn't get the contract for CUCVs so there would be tons of these trucks ready made.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I like the look. That olive drab looks great!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
damarble
Elder User
Busy weekend. Got the donor cab pulled, (by myself using a engine hoist, that was not fun) got the donor frame whacked in half, made a trailer out of the bed to sell off.

The cab is completely gutted, time to nip any rust in the bud and start on new rustproofing, paint, sound deadener, etc. I'm going pretty cheap on most stuff, it's no show truck, it just has to be solid.

Quick Reply: Fixing up my 90 F250 4x4 7.3L 5SPD SCLB