Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown shaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope shaking is same as it was before adding blocks to rear.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Driveshaft missing balance weights.

Pinion end play.

Backlash.

Pinion seal/bearing.

Proper driveshaft length.

How did you add transfer case?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by khadma
Driveshaft missing balance weights.
Driveshaft shop balanced driveshaft properly, custom made.

Pinion end play.
Not sure

Backlash.
Not sure

Pinion seal/bearing.
Not sure

Proper driveshaft length.
Measured the proper length myself needed after putting the new drivetrain on.

How did you add transfer case?
Bought a parts truck as a donor and swapped out my 2wd AOD trans for the 4x4 AOD and BW 1356 transfer case from the donor.
Not sure how to check the pinion and backlash stuff, so I would probably have to take my truck into the shop for that. One way or another I want to get to the bottom of this. It's just weird that even after removing my ENTIRE drivetrain, and putting "new" stuff in, rebuilt front axle, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, it still shakes! I even had the engine replaced over the summer, piston rings went out on the original at 180,000.

How can I check tie rods? Before I go throwing money in new parts and alignment etc. just to not fix the problem. Anybody think it's the body lift??

I will check rear drums today, ran out of light yesterday.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check the radius arm brackets, mine cracked once and it made the whole thing shake randomly when I turned.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
Had a very similar problem a year ago or so in my f150 4x4. when you did the 4x4 conversion, how did that front crossmember (under the engine) look? mine shook pretty bad, at the same speeds, like i was about to lose a tire! check it out, if you havent already, its something i over-looked for weeks. if it looks all rusted out try and replace it, might fix that problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I realise this is just being another idea in the hat, but, if a weight came off the drum(s) it would have an issue. Also, is it in the steering, or the rear...?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
You say the vibration was there before you did the 4x4 conversion, so you have to look at whatever parts are in common between when the truck was a 2wd and now with it being a 4wd. I'm thinking the only common drive train parts left are the engine and the rear axle, everything thing else has been changed?

Where are you feeling the vibration, in the steering wheel or in the seat/floor boards?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Sorry guys, haven't had any time to try and further diagnose this issue any. Been sick as of lately, along with a heavy college and work schedule.

Originally Posted by adam.hilberath
Had a very similar problem a year ago or so in my f150 4x4. when you did the 4x4 conversion, how did that front crossmember (under the engine) look? mine shook pretty bad, at the same speeds, like i was about to lose a tire! check it out, if you havent already, its something i over-looked for weeks. if it looks all rusted out try and replace it, might fix that problem.
Crossmember fine...

Originally Posted by Encho
Check the radius arm brackets, mine cracked once and it made the whole thing shake randomly when I turned.
Radius arm brackets fine...

Originally Posted by HrdDrv
I realise this is just being another idea in the hat, but, if a weight came off the drum(s) it would have an issue. Also, is it in the steering, or the rear...?
I have no clue, could be a possibility? Might have to start with new drums?
The shake is really weird, I don't think it's in the steering, but it's hard to tell. I can feel shaking through the steering wheel when it begins to shake, though it feels like the ENTIRE truck shaking. And it is kind of a herky jerky shake, like it's getting tugged around. Hard to explain. Can't really tell if it's the front or the rear.. but since the front is brand new except for tie rods, it has to be coming from the rear.

Originally Posted by firewood truck
You say the vibration was there before you did the 4x4 conversion, so you have to look at whatever parts are in common between when the truck was a 2wd and now with it being a 4wd. I'm thinking the only common drive train parts left are the engine and the rear axle, everything thing else has been changed?

Where are you feeling the vibration, in the steering wheel or in the seat/floor boards?
Yep, just the engine and rear axle. The only common thing from the 4x4 conversion is the Torque Converter, so maybe that's my issue? Torque Converter shudder?

As I stated above, it's like the whole truck is shaking. Really hard to tell where it's coming from. Though I would have to say the rear, since the front is all new except for tie rods..

Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Does it shake even when cold? Drive down a known road that's smooth. Do it different times. Cold truck like just after sitting for a few hours and while you've been driving for a while. That's how I pinpointed my warped drums.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
fdude64
Posting Guru
i would check the tierods. jack up the front(both front wheels) and shake the wheels at 3 and 9 oclock. see if there is any play there. or have someone turn wheel back and forth as you look at all the joints in the steering with it on the ground

Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Does not matter if its cold or warm, shakes all the time.

But here's a good update: looked all over on my truck while driving when it was shaking, and I notice in my side mirror that my bed is shaking really bad when the truck shakes. This leads me to believe that it's the body lift bolts holding the bed to the frame. That has got to be the reason for this shaking.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
that's a result from whats causing the shake.you wouldn't be feeling that.
when you say "shake" do you mean a vibration as in up and down like a constant little or large hoping "vibration" like what happens with a broken belt in the tire or improper balance?
or you mean it's more of a forward/backwards "shutter" ?
i don't think your describing a side to side "wobble".

i have the same "shake" your getting.like a little hop at 20mph mostly,but always there and it will shake my coffe up real good in the cup holder going down the road.dunno what it is.but it can't be good for fuel economy and i need to figure it out.
for starters so far,i swapped out a couple warped rims for two new ones up front.
still there.needed to be replaced anyway.
then i took the truck to a steep hill and shifted the t-case in N and let the truck coast down to test if it was engine/trans/shaft related.still did it.
iv got new rear drums on mine.might be the rear rims,or a bad tire.though they look good.let us know what ya find.this is bugging me too.
my next step i guess is to block the whole truck up and put in gear and bring it up to 20 mph on the speedo and see if a helper can see it hoping somewhere.
im guessing the rear rims may be out of round in the center due to running non hub centric drw adapters in the past and i'll need to order 4 more new rims.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
It's more of a "up and down hopping vibration" like you mentioned, FORDF250HDXLT.

Could be that the new tires and rims were improperly balanced, but like I said the shake is exactly the same as it was with the old set of tires and rims that were on the truck, which were very unevenly worn.

I think the bed is THE cause of the shake... I am almost positive it is. I don't think I ever got the bolts tight enough, at the time I didn't have a impact wrench, or a hand torque wrench to use. Just got them as tight as I could with a socket wrench.

I have a day off later this week and I am going to torque all of the bed bolts down with my torque wrench, I'll see if that takes care of it.

I remember now having a little shake after first installing the body lift, and I think it has just progressively gotten worse as time has gone on. Might give me an excuse to pick up some new bolts and get some good quality Locktite to keep them solid.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the bed just sets on the frame though.you could take it right off or even leave it sitting on the frame with extremely loose bolts and it's not going to cause a vibration like improperly balanced tires or broken belt.
the bolts may very well be loose (but they don't have to be super tight or anything.the frame holds it.the bolts just keep it from coming up over bumps,and keeps it from sliding around.) a bad vibration will of course cause the bed and cab to shake,cus that's what sits on the frame/suspension.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I understand that but it NEVER shook this bad before I ever had the body lift in the truck. Ever since it has been horrible.

And no it doesn't just sit on the frame, sits on top of 3 inch spacers on top of the frame. Has got to be a little more unstable than if it were sitting directly on the frame without a body lift

Quick Reply: Unknown shaking