1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Upgraded OEM brake master cylinder with power

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Glad he know's his fecal matter, That sounds like a nice easy upgrade right there. Thanks for the help!
If you do this before I do, let us know how it works out. If I beat you I'll review it so we all know. I'm also going to inquire about their brake pressure multiplier.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vntgtrk
If you do this before I do, let us know how it works out. If I beat you I'll review it so we all know. I'm also going to inquire about their brake pressure multiplier.
I'll probably just machine that myself.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
iggy.ho
New User
Hello, i used a stock early 70s ford pickup dual master for drum drum brakes. had to make a square plate to mount it. took about 1/2 hour, used stock pushrod, works great.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by iggy.ho
Hello, i used a stock early 70s ford pickup dual master for drum drum brakes. had to make a square plate to mount it. took about 1/2 hour, used stock pushrod, works great.
Doesn't look too difficult. Could be done with basic tools most of us have.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
This is useful info, thanks. Now that I spent a bunch of quality time searching for a mustang MC, I have to start over and find a 70's F series MC.

I hope to find one that Autozone or NAPA carries in stock.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Curious, is there any real difference between drum/dru/ and disc/drum MC's? Seems like the combo valve takes care of the different pressure needs? I have an '84 crown vic MC that just needs a clean and kit job

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Sort of makes me wish I hadn't just bought an original style mc last winter..... On the other hand, I have lost brakes twice in single mc trucks, and my son did once driving my '69 landcruiser. Somehow, nobody was injured in all this. Wish I could say the same for the trucks. Is there a specific year and model truck I ask for at napa for that cylinder?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM
iggy.ho
New User
those single mc can be dangerous. my parts store had a listing for a late 60s-early 70s manual mc, seems like a pretty common mc. easy conversion, just plug front outlet on tee down on the frame, and run new front line to original front brake line with a connector.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
iggy.ho
New User
disc-drum mc have a larger reservoir for front disc, also too much pressure for front drums. i suppose you could use an adjustable metering valve, but is it worth the grief??

Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
disc-drum mc have a larger reservoir for front disc, also too much pressure for front drums. i suppose you could use an adjustable metering valve, but is it worth the grief??
I thought that was the job of the proportioning valve. I know the M/C I have from an '84 crown vic has = reservoirs and it had disc/drum

Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
those single mc can be dangerous. my parts store had a listing for a late 60s-early 70s manual mc, seems like a pretty common mc. easy conversion, just plug front outlet on tee down on the frame, and run new front line to original front brake line with a connector.

Any master cylinder is normally going to give you plenty of warning before catastrophic failure,if you are at all awake/aware. So will your wheel cylinders, for that matter. Regular inspections,and just being an aware operator usually is enough. The most vulnerable part(s) on our old trucks' brake systems, especially a stock system, are the hoses.You usually cannot tell by a visual inspection that failure is imminent,and that will be a big problem for single chamber systems.

How many of you routinely change the rubber brake hoses when you purchase an old vehicle? Half the guys on the forum snivel about having to spend a dime, so I'm saying few here are willing to spend the hundred or so bucks for a set of quality hoses that might save your life. I nearly lost my wife and kids, when the front hoses blew out on our 63 Falcon. She stomped on the brake pedal at the bottom of the mountain, and ran through the red light, just squeezing through the stopped traffic and a line of parallel parked cars,taking mirrors off of both.She was not broadsided, though running the light, coasted to a stop, eventually, and they were scared manureless,shall I say.She was pissed at me, and I did a full brake job on the shoulder of the road.That car was sold.

Nevertheless, I choose to retain the stock set-up, changing all the hoses every 5 years, regardless of how they look. I will replace that master cylinder about every 7 years or whenever I'm feeling like my luck can't hold. These are cheap things to do,in my estimation, for peace of mind.

If you own an old truck,don't be a wedge-azz.If you think you can't afford to pull regular maintenance, or it's too expensive, get rid of it.I drive my old vehicles daily,they aren't a hobby for me,rather they are my only transport, so keeping them up is paramount. The wife drives new(ish) vehicles, I don' like or understand them.

Some day, I'll own another 63 Falcon Wagon.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 615 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Any master cylinder is normally going to give you plenty of warning before catastrophic failure,if you are at all awake/aware. So will your wheel cylinders, for that matter. Regular inspections,and just being an aware operator usually is enough. The most vulnerable part(s) on our old trucks' brake systems, especially a stock system, are the hoses.You usually cannot tell by a visual inspection that failure is imminent,and that will be a big problem for single chamber systems.

How many of you routinely change the rubber brake hoses when you purchase an old vehicle? Half the guys on the forum snivel about having to spend a dime, so I'm saying few here are willing to spend the hundred or so bucks for a set of quality hoses that might save your life. I nearly lost my wife and kids, when the front hoses blew out on our 63 Falcon. She stomped on the brake pedal at the bottom of the mountain, and ran through the red light, just squeezing through the stopped traffic and a line of parallel parked cars,taking mirrors off of both.She was not broadsided, though running the light, coasted to a stop, eventually, and they were scared manureless,shall I say.She was pissed at me, and I did a full brake job on the shoulder of the road.That car was sold.

Nevertheless, I choose to retain the stock set-up, changing all the hoses every 5 years, regardless of how they look. I will replace that master cylinder about every 7 years or whenever I'm feeling like my luck can't hold. These are cheap things to do,in my estimation, for peace of mind.

If you own an old truck,don't be a wedge-azz.If you think you can't afford to pull regular maintenance, or it's too expensive, get rid of it.I drive my old vehicles daily,they aren't a hobby for me,rather they are my only transport, so keeping them up is paramount. The wife drives new(ish) vehicles, I don' like or understand them.

Some day, I'll own another 63 Falcon Wagon.
Amen Brother!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by spurredon
Amen Brother!
My rants do get a bit preachy, don't they?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 615 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
My rants do get a bit preachy, don't they?
Just don't start passing a plate or I am out of here!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by spurredon
Just don't start passing a plate or I am out of here!
I'm about to pass something.

Quick Reply: Upgraded OEM brake master cylinder with power