Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water Pump Gasket/Seal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Water Pump Gasket/Seal??

My Waterpump has started leaking (replaced 3 years/30k miles ago with NEW AIRTEX pump) in a weird way: It is leaking from between the pump and the front cover/block....I can see it oozing out clear as day on top next to the thermostat housing and the temp sensor-I cleaned it with brake clean and watched it start again....I always read the "Water Pump" threads and have never heard of one leaking in this area.....I used the NEW rubber, as I recall gasket/seal that came with the Airtex pump, all has been nice and dry until this past weekend......any suggestions? I have checked the bolts and they were/are all nice and snug....Thanks Guys!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue. My pump looks clean and recent but who knows how long ago the PO replaced it. With water pumps I have always gone to the dealer, simply because I only want to do this job once. Clay at riffraff diesel has the OE replacement pump for 160.00. At least now I can run ELC and install my coolant filter.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Never seen that. If its just the sea. you could replace the gasket and try again.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
th67ss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My pump (Napa) has been leaking along the side of the pump and front cover for a while now. It was fine for about six months to a year after I replaced it but for some odd reason it started leaking. I'm at a point do I replace or just try a new gasket. With your being that new I'd just try a new gasket/seal it the surface of the pump looks good?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Yea, its a tough call...all that work to just replace the seal.......I'm probably going to replace the pump while I'm at it.....been using Final Charge ELC coolant since before my water pump change 3 years ago, and coolant filter as well......

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Last time I changed my pump I had it done in an hour. Might as well check the gasket.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

WOW, an hour, you are fast! I was in no hurry last time, won't be this time either, I seem to remember having the most trouble in finding the correct tool to remove the big nut from the fan...the rentals here at autozoo and advance are usually worn out crap....need to refresh my memory as to how to do the pump-is there a write up somewhere? wonder if I should go to International (I have a dealer about 15 minutes away) and just get the seal/gasket from them and replace IT and not the pump.....
Aprox what kind of mileage are we seeing now with good ELC coolant and coolant filters installed on a water pump? may be that will help me deceide....

Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Supercab
WOW, an hour, you are fast! I was in no hurry last time, won't be this time either, I seem to remember having the most trouble in finding the correct tool to remove the big nut from the fan...the rentals here at autozoo and advance are usually worn out crap....need to refresh my memory as to how to do the pump-is there a write up somewhere? wonder if I should go to International (I have a dealer about 15 minutes away) and just get the seal/gasket from them and replace IT and not the pump.....
Aprox what kind of mileage are we seeing now with good ELC coolant and coolant filters installed on a water pump? may be that will help me deceide....
The first time I did the pump I got the tools. I found what you found; they dont work well. I spent 45 mins getting the nut off the first time with the "proper" tools. This time I grabbed a monkey wrench and a 5lb hammer. The nut was loose in 45 seconds instead of 45 minutes. Although my friend who came over to see what I was doing with a 5lb hammer for a water pump ducked when he saw me swing it

As for water pump life... well. My original (presumed factory) pump lasted about 170,000 miles. The replacement lasted 8,000. That was my fault though. I left water in there and it rusted.

Here is a video I did on replacing the pump.

7.3L PSD - How To: Replace Water Pump - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Thanks for the link to your video! This helps my old memory from my last w/p change.

Anyone know what brand of pump has a solid pipe to the lower hose from the pump WITHOUT the joint that leaks on some of them? someone mentioned this in anouther thread recently, didn't hear the brand though.

I'm thinking of just taking it all apart, cleaning everything up, using some SYL-Glide and a NEW gasket from INTERNATIONAL, not Ford and reinstalling.....gotta believe the pump seal itself with the great Final Charge ELC & my DieselSite coolant filter that it has thousands more miles left. (only has about 30k on it now)
-Headed out to dig into it...wish me luck guys!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

-After being ignored at Maudlin (as always) I had to ORDER the gasket (I ordered 2) (one extra-just for giggles $6.82each) they'll be in on Friday, going to get everything apart and cleaned up and FIND some FINAL CHARGE once and for all! and be ready!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and scotch brite the oring groove and mating "laypattern" to help the oring seal. Green stuff from the grocery store will work fine.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Thanks! I plan on super cleaning everything while I wait for the new International gasket.

BTW: Which way does the fan clutch nut go to come off? I have forgotten and thats where I'm at right now.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, for about 8 months. I knew it wasn't gona fix itself so had a new pump put on. No issues since.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercab, righty tighty, well you know.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
Supercab, righty tighty, well you know.
Yea, I know...espessely since its stamped into the fan shroud "Right hand thread on fan clutch" idiot-me

I got the pump off and feel that considering the time the NEW AIRTEX pump with ITS gasket was on there that I am better off using the new gasket from International when it gets here, also gonna replace the pump too, as the weeper hole doesn't look completely clean.....I'd rather not have to do this all again in anouther 6 months.........

Where is the best place to get a NEW pump from nowadays?? Clay @ RiffRaff?? Anouther new Airtex?

Quick Reply: Water Pump Gasket/Seal??