Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2013 Ford Escape - New Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM
ndccpf1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice thing to know is our 2.0 Ecoboost engines are timing chain equipped and the 1.6 Ecoboost engines are timing belt versions.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
paul100
Senior User
Originally Posted by HDEscape
Still leaves me wanting to know from 2.0 AWD owners out there, how many miles per tank they are averaging
I have a 2.0L AWD titanium. Got it 9-7-2012, just passed 11,125 miles. My commute is about 50 miles each way in some slow traffic for about a quarter of the trip in the morning wide open in the evening (I set the cruise at 70 on the way home). I haven't calculated by hand my mileage but the computer currently says 23.3 mpg. I don't usually reset the mpg after filling up (which I do about 2.5 times per week) it's been several weeks since the last time I reset it. I've noticed a few things:
1) before 10K miles I was averaging in the high 20s mpg on computer
2) I realized that even though I have the AC tuned off, it still shows "on" in the myfordtouch screen, so I now cycle the AC on/off button every time I start the car, my mileage went up .1/.2 since I started doing this.
3) the mpg is super sensitive to speed, if I set cruise at 65 instead of 70 mileage is up almost a full 1mpg
4) since I passed the 10K mark, the mileage has slowly but steadily been increasing, the week before last the computer was showing 23.2, last week it was 23.3, we'll see what it is at the end of this week. (I did have my second oil change done on 3-1-2013).

Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM
reckrunner
New User
Good Morning all,

Will soon be picking up a 13 2.0 se w/tow pack. My question is has anyone towed yet and how was it ? I have a 18 ft bayliner wgt app. 2400 lbs Thanks for your info.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 AM
paul100
Senior User
I towed my Seadoo (about 1000 lbs with trailer) about 15 miles is all. It towed just fine, but thats not much towing, so far. Sorry not much more info then that.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 PM
ticobird
New User
I just had an interesting fill-up to relate to the forum. Somewhere (apparently not in this ford-trucks forum) I've recently read about 2013 Escape owners slightly upset that they don't have the range of other vehicles they've owned. I understand the range reduction feeling since I sensed it fairly quickly myself even though it didn't bother me as much. Some of those who were bothered were even discussing how to fill their tanks all the way as if that was hard to do. Maybe the pumps I use don't pump as fast or something else I'm not understanding. Anyway, just for grins, I waited until my DTE reached 0 and here is what happened. I filled my 15.1 gallon tank with 13.426 gallons in the normal manner. The Escape trip computer reported I was getting 26.0 mpg while my spreadsheet calculations came to 24.9 mpg. This is pretty close and was what I expected. So in theory without running it out of gas, which I will not do no matter how curious I may be, the calculation indicates I had (15.1 gal - 13.426 gal = 1.674 gal) remaining in the tank and at 24.9 mpg I would have been able to drive another 41.7 miles or at least I hope so. Another observation is that the gas gauge needle was horizontal and pointing in the red zone. As an aside, I've been curious about the computer mpg calculation if the driver forgets to reset it after filling up. If anyone has personal insights into the reported mpg number with and without resetting the computer I'd be interested.
Additional information:
2.0 EcoBoost with 19" wheels
Current mileage = 8,117 miles
Driving conditions - suburban / county driving ~ 55-60 mph maximum, not many traffic lights
Light throttle foot - although I do find it hard to resist dipping into it
Cruise control used a lot
Average trip length ~ 20-30 miles

Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM
captchas
other then the 3 fire related recalls ours was trouble free till some jerk opened the drivers door of a Honda accord just as my wife was passing him. damage came to $8.000 as the front end, hood and fender and upper frame rail folded like a soda can being stumped on.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM
DBubba
Freshman User
11 month update

I haven't posted here in a bit so figured it is time.. I recently clicked 15,500 miles. I am happy to report no signs of wear on leather or other shiny materials and no mechanical issues at all. I completed my second service a few months ago and oil level was perfect before the change and didn't seem all that dirty. The tires are wearing evenly and all other critical points checked out ok.

My Ford Touch---2 weeks before taking it in for service I started noticing latency in navigating (key in the address, set as destination) and sit and wait...many times up to 15 minutes before it would start navigating. When I took it in for service I mentioned the issue and the tech completed a reboot (remove and reinstall battery cable) and it worked normally when I picked it up and continues to operate properly today.

My mileage has improved as the drivetrain has broken in. I am consistently getting 25-26 in my regular commute with air on (it is flipping hot here) and driving it normally sometimes at high highway speeds. The more I drive it the more I like the refinement of this powerplant. Why would anyone need a V6 in a sport utility?

I also nitpicked the rear door at that service visit as it was slightly out of alignment and didn't seem to open easily. The service tech aligned the door and replaced the latch mechanism and all is great.

D

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
DBubba
Freshman User
Hitch type?

Originally Posted by paul100
I towed my Seadoo (about 1000 lbs with trailer) about 15 miles is all. It towed just fine, but thats not much towing, so far. Sorry not much more info then that.
Hey Paul. Do you have the factory hitch or did you install aftermarket. Considering installing one on mine but focused on kick to open liftgate functionality.

D

Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
desertranger
Freshman User
Have a 2013 Escape SE, does any one know how to check the cabin air filter? The book said it is under the wipers but not sure as to how to find it. Drove thru a lot of dust on my last trip and feel it should be checked.
Thanks,

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by desertranger
Have a 2013 Escape SE, does any one know how to check the cabin air filter? The book said it is under the wipers but not sure as to how to find it. Drove thru a lot of dust on my last trip and feel it should be checked.
Thanks,
Hi desertranger,

I checked out your Owner's Manual, 4th Printing, and found the following information on page 121:

"Your cabin air filter is located under the instrument panel in the passenger footwell area. The particulate filtration system reduces the concentration of airborne particles such as dust, spores and pollen in the air supplied to the interior of your vehicle."

If you have problems locating it, you can always drop by your local dealership; I know they'd be happy to help you out. For future reference, you can download a free digital copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...OwnerGuidePage

Crystal

Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM
desertranger
Freshman User
Looked for the air filter again today, no luck. A diagram for the cabin air filter would be very helpful or a detailed guide to the filter location. I would hope it is in a place that is accessible or they will never be changed.
I know the air filters on the earlier models where not the easiest to change.
Any help would be welcome.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
DBubba
Freshman User
I decided to have a Curt trailer hitch installed today. It does block the kick to open feature significantly (but it still works you just have to kick for the openings). I will make my first pull in the am.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 AM
ndccpf1
New User
Originally Posted by desertranger
Looked for the air filter again today, no luck. A diagram for the cabin air filter would be very helpful or a detailed guide to the filter location. I would hope it is in a place that is accessible or they will never be changed.
I know the air filters on the earlier models where not the easiest to change.
Any help would be welcome.
If you have not used (registered) on the Ford site below it is a great resource to see parts placements. Several ways to search and I used my VIN and it shows the cabin filter location as being in front of the blower motor which is under the glove box and above the passenger's feet area Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM
desertranger
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ndccpf1
If you have not used (registered) on the Ford site below it is a great resource to see parts placements. Several ways to search and I used my VIN and it shows the cabin filter location as being in front of the blower motor which is under the glove box and above the passenger's feet area Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com
This description is not correct the filter is in the center but you have to get to it from the passenger side. VERY hard to get to and I'm sure many times it will not be changed. Ford needs to design maintenance items to be easier to service. The available information on the filter location is less then clear. Ford can do a better job.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
2escapefmt
Junior User
desertranger- seems you're nictpicking on a few of your posts
Even a Motor Repair Manual wasn't detailed to the point where a non mechanic could easily do the job- as in everything with directions- a person has to be able to adjust to the words- of course- you could make a post with step by step instructions so someone else who wasn't mechanically gifted could read your words and do the job easily- of course- you'd stand the criticism to your detailed instructions just like you are doing with Ford
"I know the air filters on the earlier models were not the easiest to change" how's that so- I changed both my 08 & 09 in under 1/2 hour

ticobird- I can get 31.9mpg at 60mph in my 2008 Escape V6, 4WD-
any chance you could do a more scientific road test on your 2013-
I was thinking of trading in one of my Escapes on the new one-
seems something is a miss- supposedly lighter, more efficient, less wind/road drag, smaller engine, but if it can't best the previous Escapes by at least 10% - it's kind of laughable

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Escape - New Owners