Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HHEEEELLLPPP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 08:33 PM
safedog 1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HHEEEELLLPPP!

1987 F-150 4x4 302 Stick. Runs great. Starts perfect when cold. The warmer the truck gets the harder it is to start. It acts like when the truck is hot the timing gets either thrown way advanced or something because that's how she sounds, like the timing is off. The truck has new battery, starter, starter relay, cables, terminals, etc... and when running, is timed to factory specs as it was before any of this started happening. The altenator is putting out what she should and there doesn't appear to be any vaccuum leaks. Someone suggested slack in the timing chain? The only clue I can imagine is that about a week before any problems, I sprayed the engine off with a low pressure residential water hose, but covered the distributor and other electrical devices like a hundred times before. Help please

Old 09-04-2002, 09:37 PM
pross
Senior User
Post HHEEEELLLPPP!

Does it sound like the starter is binding, or just not firing? I would check the ground cable to the block. sometimes oil will build up and or rust. Also the Ford factory coils are noted for going out when hot. I'd slap a new coil on there...there only about $20.00 for house brand at most places. Rememeber that when an engine is cranking, the starter is taking a large amount of the amperage and any weak link in the ign. system will suffer, possibly causing weak spark. Also make sure the coil is grounded good, along with the bracket etc. hope to be of some help.... p.s. there's been several posts about the coils going out or getting weak when hot. Also Autozone will check the TFI module for free, but I'm about 99% sure when this one goes out, she's gone.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:41 PM
pross
Senior User
Post HHEEEELLLPPP!

one other item-check for corrosion at the spark plug wires at the dist. and the one going to the coil. I have seen corrosion build up which adds to the resistance in the system which you don't want. How about the plugs?

Old 09-04-2002, 10:23 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HHEEEELLLPPP!

I'm going to agree with both suggestions, I would recommend an MSD blaster coil though, they are good and decently priced, around 40 bucks.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

That's it for mods now, saving for a Stang. Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
HHEEEELLLPPP!

Is your check engine light going on?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:08 PM
samhihn
Senior User
HHEEEELLLPPP!

I'd be checking the codes. It probably is timing related but it's a sensor or something keeping it out of wack. Had a 90 E-150 4.9 that did the same thing. Drove me nuts. Used to pull the spout and turn the distributer to get it going and then it would go like a scalded dog. Went to the junk yard though before I ever got around to a permanent solution.

Old 09-08-2002, 04:24 PM
safedog 1
Freshman User
HHEEEELLLPPP!

thx for the help. cables good. installed new coil. still a problem. I'm sure it's something simple like one of the parts I've replaced is bad, but any advise on some tests I can do? I know it's not the starter dragging. Help.

Old 09-08-2002, 10:16 PM
stoab
Freshman User
HHEEEELLLPPP!

i would check the fuel filter in the carb or the throtle body cause it sounds like the warmer it gets the longer it takes to turn over so either causing lack of gas or vapor it could be the fuel pump. ive had coils go out on me but the engine dies when it gets hot. good luck

Old 09-09-2002, 06:00 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
HHEEEELLLPPP!

I have a 1995 F-150 2WD 302 AODE. It has been doing the exact same thing you are describing for the past two years. Four different shops including two Ford dealerships could not find anything wrong with it. I don't think it is fuel pump related because it will do it on either tank. Here is a list of what I have replaced, so you could try replacing something else that I haven't. It is possible that some part I replaced was bad too.

cleaned K&N air filter
TFI ignition control module
oxygen sensor
coil
plugs and wires
cap and rotor
EGR valve EVP etc (all related sensors)
temperature sensor
intake air temp sensor
fuel filter
throttle position sensor
fuel pressure regulator

I know there are a couple other things, but I can't remember right now. Anyway, I too would greatly appreciate any info on this subject.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:27 PM
safedog 1
Freshman User
HHEEEELLLPPP!

Thanks for all the help. I've replaced a great deal of what was mentioned myself. I'm not sure how to check it but I know from past experience with older distributors, the manual advance, internaly, by the rotor, would get stuck either part way or all the way advanced after the vehicle was warm, causing similar effects. What process does my 87 302 EFI advance the timing and how do I replace or check to see if it is working properly. P.S. Codes O.K. Thanks again- C Ya

Old 09-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
HHEEEELLLPPP!