6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

sync is weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sync is weird

The sync for connecting my phones to the system is weird. And has been that way for a very long time. Sometimes it connects easily so no sweat. Many times I can't even connect. When it is searching for a phone, (and I have them right in front of the radio, the handicapped lady on the system says no phone found.) Sometimes I yell at her "Are you blind?" I know it doesn't help but I feel a bit better. After her saying I will try to connect one and not being able to. Today I must have tried 25 times to connect the da* phone. Very strange and wondering if others have issues with the bluetooth and sync connecting. I mean the phone is right in front and yes, it is on. I turn blue tooth on and reset it to on, but no luck that way either.

And for those of you who remember my radio issues from last January to May, and Ford giving up and not having a clue how to fix it. Well, over the summer months the radio was great. But last week, when the temp got cooler and dew points were reached, it came back. So now I am figuring I have a connection issue affected by the weather. If you remember the Ford Dealer put 2 new radios in, then the amp module, all with no luck. That is when the Dealership told me they give up and have no clue what it could be.
That should be Ford's motto instead of built tough. Should be We Give Up.
Just a little venting.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I've only had my truck a little over a month and I've had it with Sync. She's a no good dirty ***** that's getting replaced with a Pioneer Nav as soon as the UPS guy drops it off

Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM
onwardthruthefog
Freshman User
I've had very few problems with sync in the 1yr. 36k on my 2011 but sometimes when I talk it just doesnt understand....... and then as if nothing ever happened its back to normal. Seems like a software issue but that may be something the dealers can't do.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This TSB may apply?

<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="99%" align=left>12-08-19
SYNC - VARIOUS FUNCTIONALITY CONCERNS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/1/2012
SOME 2011-2012 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SYNC AND BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/1/2012 MAY EXHIBIT INTERMITTENT VOICE RECOGNITION: SYNC IS NOT LISTENING/HEARING COMMANDS, NO RESPONSE TO VOICE COMMANDS. PHONE/USB CONNECTIVITY, TRAFFIC, DIRECTIONS AND INFORMATION NOTIFICATION/VOICE RECOGNITION, COMMANDS NOT AVAILABLE WITH THIS DEVICE WHEN USING PLAY ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK COMMANDS. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO IMPROVE THE CONDITION.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="1%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%"><!--
--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM
RM2012F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by lundman
The sync for connecting my phones to the system is weird. And has been that way for a very long time. Sometimes it connects easily so no sweat. Many times I can't even connect. When it is searching for a phone, (and I have them right in front of the radio, the handicapped lady on the system says no phone found.) Sometimes I yell at her "Are you blind?" I know it doesn't help but I feel a bit better. After her saying I will try to connect one and not being able to. Today I must have tried 25 times to connect the da* phone. Very strange and wondering if others have issues with the bluetooth and sync connecting. I mean the phone is right in front and yes, it is on. I turn blue tooth on and reset it to on, but no luck that way either.

And for those of you who remember my radio issues from last January to May, and Ford giving up and not having a clue how to fix it. Well, over the summer months the radio was great. But last week, when the temp got cooler and dew points were reached, it came back. So now I am figuring I have a connection issue affected by the weather. If you remember the Ford Dealer put 2 new radios in, then the amp module, all with no luck. That is when the Dealership told me they give up and have no clue what it could be.
Just a little venting.
The only problem I've ever had with voice commands...Is the sync always called my ex no matter who I said to call. Must be my karma!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have zero issues connecting my phone. In fact, when my phone is in the house and I'm outside, if I start the truck, it'll stay connected until I get to the end of the driveway which is about 60' away from where my phone is inside. What kind of phone do you have? Do you have another BT product you can pair to the phone and test with? I wonder if this is related to your issues below. Kind of a chicken or the egg scenario though, could be Sync causing the head unit issue or the head unit causing the Sync issue.

Just a little venting.
This sounds like a stereo harness issue to me. Did they replace that? I had a similar issue with my Lockpick harness. In the cold, it was cutting out the stereo, head unit wouldn't turn on, etc. Over time it got worse, finally got another one from them and haven't had an issue since (haven't been through a winter yet, so we'll see).

Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
lundman
Senior User
sync

Not like that at all. And I do have another phone as well, but neither phone would hook up. Got one hooked up today. Like a bad girlfriend. You just never know what kind of mood she will be in. I hooked up my Garmin GPS that has bluetooth to the phone so at least that was working.

As for the radio, it turned on, but it would cut out for 2-4 seconds and you never know when. Didn't matter if it was Am, Fm, Satellite radio, bluetooth, it just would not work for that time. It has to be a connection but after probably, 4 visits to the dealership over 6 months, 2 brand new radios in it, the Amp unit switched out, and the down time at the dealership at 3 hours a pop, so about 12 hours of time there, well you can see the frustration. And then the dealership saying that was their best tech guy and the service manager shaking his head and saying we don't know what else to do, as a customer, I never heard that one before. Hope I never do again either.

Was looking up on Youtube for sync video and I may have to clear the whole system and start over to se if that works. Otherwise, like I stated earlier, take it to a auto radio shop as I am pretty sure they could track it down. As long as it does it while I am there.

I expect more from a 77 000 list truck and my first Ford.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like it's not the phone then (assuming the phones aren't identical).

I can definitely understand your frustration, and if I was in your shoes, I probably wouldn't have made it as long as you did attempting to troubleshoot it. I'd have just gone aftermarket at that point.

Sorry you're having to go through this with your first Ford.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
audimotion
Junior User
Sounds similar to my issues. For the past couple weeks my bleutooth and USB port stopped working completely. The phone menu does not even come on when prompted through the steering wheel or dash controls.
I guess this gives me a reason to bring it back to the shop AGAIN for more work, and the dealer and I can revisit my steering wobble and hard shifting tranny...I can hardly wait (roll eyes)...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sync system has been misbehaving lately as well. For the first 6-8 months, my truck never had problems connecting to my phone. As of the past few months now, it has started dropping my phone from bluetooth. My phone connects to SYNC no problem when my truck starts up. 70% of the time, it stays connected and I have no problems at all.

The other 30% of the time, SYNC drops my phone's bluetooth connection...and I have to go back through the menu to re-connect the phone. After reconnecting it, it stays connected for the rest of my drive. The funny thing is, if SYNC is going to drop the bluetooth connection, it only does it within the first 3 minutes or so. After 3mins, I know it will stay connected with no problem.

The last time I brought my truck into the dealership for a multipoint inspection, I told them about this issue. They apparently ran a reconfiguration on my Nav unit, but the next day the problem persisted. The dealership didn't seem to be familiar with this issue.

The phone I am using is an iPhone 4. I will see if the problem continues once my iPhone 5 is delivered this week.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
jsa3107
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2012F350
The only problem I've ever had with voice commands...Is the sync always called my ex no matter who I said to call. Must be my karma!!!
Bad Karma...
lol

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I also did away with sync and installed a Pioneer navigation system.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Native Tex
Junior User
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
This TSB may apply?

<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="99%" align=left>12-08-19
SYNC - VARIOUS FUNCTIONALITY CONCERNS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/1/2012
SOME 2011-2012 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SYNC AND BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/1/2012 MAY EXHIBIT INTERMITTENT VOICE RECOGNITION: SYNC IS NOT LISTENING/HEARING COMMANDS, NO RESPONSE TO VOICE COMMANDS. PHONE/USB CONNECTIVITY, TRAFFIC, DIRECTIONS AND INFORMATION NOTIFICATION/VOICE RECOGNITION, COMMANDS NOT AVAILABLE WITH THIS DEVICE WHEN USING PLAY ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK COMMANDS. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO IMPROVE THE CONDITION.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="1%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%"><!--
--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I have problems just trying to get the stinking thing to hang up or end a call. Not sure what I am doing wrong; I even followed the truck manual. Is the fix out on the Sync My Ride web page??

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see anything online about TSB 12-8-19. Where can I verify if it actually applies to my vehicle?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Native Tex
I have problems just trying to get the stinking thing to hang up or end a call. Not sure what I am doing wrong; I even followed the truck manual. Is the fix out on the Sync My Ride web page??
To hang up you need to press and HOLD the button on the steering wheel. Its a PITA. For months I would push it to hang up and it would not, then push it again and it would re dial. I phoned like 1,000 people back before I got used to it

My blackberry bold had issues connecting with sync. Sometimes not connect or drop call A LOT. Was really frustrating. Ended up using bluetooth earpiece!

My blackberry torch had zero issues with synce.

Now I have Samsung galaxy S3 and zero issues with sync.

IMHO it works great.
But I DO NOT use the voice command, does not work for me, must have a screwed up voice.

One thing I really like, if you have the tunes cranked and get a call, when you end the call sync turns the volume down so you don't get the chit scared out of you when the music comes back on. Pretty cool

Thanks

Quick Reply: sync is weird