1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted 4x4 Psd Buying 5th Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 PM
MY3WAGS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lifted 4x4 Psd Buying 5th Wheel

Hey guys, This is the first time on, so thanks for the help in advance. I have an 02 psd 4x4 short bed with a 4" lift and 35's. The wife and I are toying with the idea of buying a 5th wheel. I have been to several dealers looking at 5rs and they all say that it wouldnt be a problem putting it on the truck. Just in my early stages of research it looks like it will be a problem. Has anyone ever done this? I hear about flipin the axles, would this work for a 4" lift??? What is the minamum clearance needed between the bed rails and the trailer?? God any help you guys can give me would be great.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Generaly speaking many fivers have a hard time in a standard height 4x4 and a lifted truck cuts down the field of choices a lot.

I know thare are a couple of trailer designs out there that are fairly tall to begin with and I am sure a inch or two of lift on the trailer axels is safely dooable.

We (wife and I ) only buy used travel trailers (usually big $$$ savings) so we opted to bumper drag as the local fivers we looked at were too short for my stock 4x4 short bed with taller tires.

the three used ones we looked at had sagging springs, balloned tires, and when I backed the bed under, on fairly level ground, they did not look like I had enough articulation clearance.

We have two very remote propertys that have some very steep drops down to a creek then instantly a steep climb out and I am sure the fiver would have worked fine on the highway but not up n down hills like we need to go.

Real point I am trying to make, is that depending on your route, and off road needs, has a effect on your decision on trailer height and connect point.

Dang second time today

WELCOME TO FTE

Old 05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User

Hello, check out my gallery. My fiver is pretty tall and it still slants up about four inches total. All I have is a leveling kit and 35's. You would definatly have to lift most fivers that I have seen.

Old 05-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

Don't ever trust a salesman. They will tell you that a jeep could hook up to the 5th wheel just fine if you remove the top. As long as they sell you something they don't care what you do with it or how safe it will be doing it. The best way to find out is to back your truck under the trailer while it is sitting level and see what the clearance is between the trailer and your bed rails. I wouldn't go less than 5 inches.

Be careful with lifts kits on the trailer as they can cause stability problems. The fifth wheel that I have is already 13 ft tall.

My truck has only the stock 4 Inch blocks and a front leveling kit. I recently put Air Bags on the rear because the 1800lb tongue of the trailer squats the rearend about 2-3 inches. If the rear sat any higher the trailer would not tow level.

You want the trailer to tow as level as possible to keep the weight evenly distributed on the trailer axles and also so that the fridge will operate properly while traveling.