1979 302 E150- D80E or E7TE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 302 E150- D80E or E7TE?

Hi Everybody

I started a thread a little lower about my 302 with very low compression in one cylinder.

After doing compression test, leak-down test I realized the problem was most likely an bad exhaust valve, so i recently took the head off the problem side.

I found a chipped exhaust valve, and a few small marks on the piston head.

My local machine shop is asking for 3 weeks to machine the old heads, and I need the vehicle much sooner than that.

Someone local is selling E7TE 302 heads, went to see them, they are in great condition, only 500 miles since being overhauled.

My question is this:

should I swap my D80E for these E7TE?

major differences?

my vehicle is a 1979 E-150 econoline, used mostly for us to tour in Canada.

We are usually packed pretty heavy with gear and band, so low end torque and low rpm is mostly what we do...

are the E7TE good replacements?

i noticed that the pushrods on my D80E are longer than the ones coming with the E7TE...

If i do the swap, will i need to use the pushrods and rockers that come with the new engine? will the shorter pushrods work with the rest of my setup?

THANKS!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
E7's are an excellant replacement for the boat anchor D8OE's. You will gain about a half point in compression in doing so. More compression = better efficiency. The different pushrods are likely roller cam pushrods,(they're a half inch shorter) reuse the D8OE pushrods.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
alexchavel
Senior User
Thanks bad dad!

So I should reuse pushrods/rockers from d8oe that was already on engine, and everything else looks the same as far gaskets etc...

Will get it done today!

Thanks for info

Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Heads

Considering the cost of machining, you may even save money by using the superior E7TE heads.

I am surprised that the machine shop would need three weeks to redo your old heads, but it should work out well for you.
Most auto machine shops are hurting for business these days.

There may be an hole on the end of each head that was part of the emissions equipment. If you won't be using such plumbing, use a short 5/8" NC bolt or set screw to close them off.

As a Canadian, I can vouch for the E7TE heads being highly suitable for touring in Canada!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Thanks for the info beanscoot
I don't really see any extra hole for the old heads I was using... Where exactly would they be located?

I have all the disassembly and prep done, should have time this weekend to put it all back together again!!

Just to confirm, I'm also reusing the rockers from old heads? Not just the pushrods?

Both seem to be in good order.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
The rocker arms should be the same on both sets of heads, so you don't need to swap them unless there are some clearly bad ones.

The heads I mentioned are located at the back end of the heads as installed on the engine and would have had a tube connecting them to the EGR system. That system wasn't used on all engines however.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Thanks a ton Beanscoot

I don't see any open heads on the E7TE.

I have all the cleaning/prep work done, all the parts needed, going to get her done tomorrow!

I ll post an update, pretty excited to get the ol girl back on the road...

Need a little work done to the exhaust system last and we ll be good to go!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E7 heads use bolt down pedestal rockers and the D8 heads have the old stud mount rail rockers, I believe. See if the seller has the rockers to go with the heads. You can get shims for rocker pedestals if your pushrods are a wee bit too long.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Hey baron

I got the rockers and pushrods from the seller.

So I should use the pushrods from the D8 and rockers from E7?

The pushrods that came with the E7 are WAY shorter, Bad Dad up above was saying to use the pushrods I already had from the D8's

Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Also, besides torquing the rocker bolts to the right setting, what else will I have I pay attention to? I'm on vaguely familiar with pre-load, etc...

Thanks guys

Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, try and use the pushrods that are in your engine now - ideally you want to keep all of them sorted so they sit back on the same lifter.

When they're torqued down you should be able to turn the pushrod with your fingers but it shouldn't be loose or spin freely. If it's hard to turn you may need to shim the rocker pedestal. Unless the head was milled quite a bit you shouldn't have any worries.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM
alexchavel
Senior User
Thanks baron!

I took out the pushrods and kept em in order, so I ll put em back in the same way.

Thanks for the tips!

I ll keep you guys posted tomorrow...

Really appreciate all the advice from everybody

Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Valve train parts

I think that the Baron may be right in that the D8OE heads probably use the "rail" rockers, in which case the rocker arms are, of course, different between them and the E7TE units.
So I think I'm wrong with my earlier comment that the heads use the same rocker arms. Ford says that 1978 up engines use the pedestal rocker arms, which is why I thought they were the same. But I agree that the D8OE heads (at least the ones I have noticed) use "rail" rocker arms, with hardened tips on the exhaust valves.

But perhaps some D8OE heads were machined for pedestal rocker arms from the factory, I don't know if it is even possible without looking at the castings side by side. Ford does strange things and sometimes makes changes mid year.

Anyways, if your old heads are the "rail" type, then neither pushrod sets will be the correct length, the ones you need would be the ones used with pedestal rockers and a flat tappet camshaft. If you need to order them new, tell the parts man they are for a 1982 302 engine, as that should be pretty safe since it's in the middle of the run of pedestal rocker arms combined with flat tappet camshaft.

This is the genuine Ford part you need which I see comes up as obsolete now:

VALVE PUSH RODS 289 THRU 460 (PKG. OF 16) | Part Details for M-6565-M332** | Ford Racing Performance Parts

Too bad, as they were only $20 or so for a set from Ford, and no doubt much better quality than the offshore stuff from the parts stores.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 AM
alexchavel
Senior User
If my heads have a metal channel between intake/exhaust valvle where the fulcrum sits in they are pedestal rockers correct?

That is how my d8oe setup is.

I will double check the e7te

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 AM
alexchavel
Senior User
So both heads have the pedestal rockers.

I ll use the rockers and pushrods from the d80e then since i still have the rockers/rods in the order that they were setup.

Quick Reply: 1979 302 E150- D80E or E7TE?