2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

How To: Power window regulator replacement on 07+ Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM
justanotherguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise from window regulator

quasar3210,
sounds just like my 07 ltd before it completely quit. it was the regulator, specifically the rusted cable on the down side. motor was fine. the noise stopped once the cable broke but so did the window!
i replaced the regulator (from amazon) and all is good.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Quasar3210
New User
Thank you very much. I ended up replacing both the motor and regulator. My window was super slow. Once apart i actually thought it was just the motor from where it was making the noise... As soon as i put the new motor on And tested it went up fine came back down fine and then went to close to start reassembly and..... LOL!! The regulator blew apart right in front of my eyes. Guess the new motor just was a bit too much for it.

Thank you to everyone here who did this writeup and added tips. You guys are all awesome. Was ready to hand this truck to the dealer.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM
pgonza2723
Senior User
Just did this on the Navi passenger side and will follow the re-initialization procedure this evening and report back. Got the dorman part off Amazon for $80 and followed this video:

Which was extremely helpful if someone wants to follow along.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Strontium
New User
Mine made the screech too before finally dying. Definitely the regulator, my motor was still fine.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pricing of regulator

Just fixing to do mine today----07 expy EL.

Lots of good info---
quick note about the pricing, I got mine for 100 bux at pepboys. I checked Ford and Motorcraft was only 92 bux at dealership. Got the printout.
Checked O'Reilly's locally Altamonte Sps. Fl. 152 bux
Rock Auto, 82 + bux, shipping 9 + bux.
Pepboys and they price matched RockAuto for 100 bux. (inc taxes)
May or may not worry about initialization, dont use auto up/down much anyway. Probably will---
TX for posts/info !!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
auto up

Did the regulator thing went like the articles said. Good thing I dont do this for a living-----way slow
Did the initialization procedure and the down works as described, but the auto up does not seem to work. Requires hold up of button. Not to worry, dont use the up feature anyway. Only once in a great while is the auto down used.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:47 AM
P229SIG
New User
Did this about a month ago on our 2008 Navi L. Bought the Dorman regulator (good quality for price) off of Amazon (right around $80, as previously stated). Great write up OP, and with the video posted anyone with basic repair knowledge should be able to tackle this job. Saves a few hundred bucks for 1 or 2 hours on a Saturday

Old 05-21-2016, 03:01 PM
plscott55
New User
Thank you

Don't know if you will receive this message but hoping you do. The I destruction you put on here for this repair were great. I had to replace the part in tossed get door yesterday and although it took me a couple of hours I wouldn't have gotten it done without your I instructions. I am 60 and a lot slower than most. Again thank you.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:00 PM
cstanley44
Senior User
Glad lots of people found this useful! Made my day reading though all the replies and added knowledge.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:21 PM
k9education
Senior User
When I bought my '11 Expedition last year I could tell that someone had popped out the cover in the door pull. Based on previous Ford ownership, I immediately knew it must have been to replace the window motor/regulator. I'm sure I'll have to do one or both front windows again before I sell the truck though so this will come in handy.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Brahms
Junior User
Solved!

After much frustration, it seems I may have discovered the secret for de- and re-initialization. The secret is speed. When it says "steps 2 and 3 must be completed within 8 seconds," they're being generous. Don't wait between off & run - switch back and forth as quickly as you can. When the indicator lights come on, switch off immediately. I have repeated this to make sure it works on the driver door of my '08 Navi, but ymmv, etc. Good luck!
And, BTW, the Dorman from Amazon was $82 and fit exactly. And yellow weatherstripping adhesive is just the thing for the (duh) weathershield.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
ishoottrap
New User
How? This is maddening!

I've re-posted the procedure given by Matt here:

Window Motor Initialization

NOTE: Initialization is required to learn both the full up and full down positions and the profile of the glass as it travels through the glass channel. Once initialized, obstacle detection is enabled. This procedure is only required for Navigator (LF and RF) or Expedition (LF only) window motors.

NOTE: The window motor must be reinitialized whenever: the motor is removed from window regulator drum housing, a new motor is installed, a new window regulator is installed, new window glass is installed, glass top run removal or installation is carried out or when carrying out any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window system. All window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor and glass top run) must be installed and tightened to specification before carrying out this procedure. Refer to the De-Initialization Procedure prior to performing the window motor initialization (unless a new motor is being installed).

NOTE: A new (or de-initialized) LF/RF (Navigator) or LF (Expedition) window motor will not operate in one-touch up or one-touch down mode until initialized. If a new LF/RF window motor has been installed, proceed to the Window Motor Initialization procedure in this section.

NOTE: Excessive bounce-back (window reverses direction with no obstructions present) may indicate that a de-initialization procedure may need to be performed.

De-Initialization Procedure

1.Start with the ignition key in the RUN position and open one front door.
2.NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 must be performed within 8 seconds.

Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN 5 times.
3.Press the window control switch to the one-touch DOWN position (second detent) and release.

Window Motor Initialization

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

4.Start with the ignition key in the OFF position and with the LF/RF door open.
5.Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
6.Activate and hold the window control switch in the one-touch DOWN position (second detent) until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.
7.NOTE: After performing this step, wait a minimum of 3 seconds before operating the window control switch or ignition switch.

Activate and hold the window control switch (with no interuptions) in the one-touch UP position (second detent) until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.
8.Verify correct operation of the window by carrying out the one-touch up and one-touch down features. If the window does not operate correctly, carefully repeat this procedure.

I've run the reset procedure listed at least 20 times and the window will not function in Auto. I seem to have de-initialized it but it will not initialize. I've tried running the procedures back to back, separately, etc. but as of now, I have no auto function at all. The de-initialized procedure seems to have worked, I started with auto-down working but auto-up stopping ~2" short. When I run the de-initialize (and yes, 8 seconds is too long, fast works) routine exactly like this:

Start with ignition off, door closed
Turn key to on, open LF door
Quickly, turn key to off then back to on 5 times, ending in on
Press window control to 2nd detent and release

The window does not move which I believe indicates that the sequence has been recognized. In addition, there is now no auto motion at all.

It's the initialize that does not work. I've tried following the de-initialize listed above without actuating the ignition at all, I've tried starting with the ignition off, door open and then turning the ignition on, neither works. The window operates just like the passenger side window, no auto function at all.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 AM
TDCorbett
New User
Awesome how-to. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Atsioukl
New User
All,

I have recently replaced the LF regulator on my 2007 Navigator and have lost the auto up/down function. Window works fine if you hold the switch up or down. I have tried the above procedure for re-initializing but cannot get it to work. Has anyone really had luck with the procedure? What am I missing here? Can't be this hard to do.

Anthony

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 AM
TDCorbett
New User
Did you try the de-initialization procedure first? I only have auto down but I didn't run into any trouble with it.

Quick Reply: How To: Power window regulator replacement on 07+ Expedition