1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F600 build thread "Abby"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well it's been ages, but it's time to return onto FTE.

Probably won't be as active as I was originally, but at least checking things out and posting more.

Truck build progress to begin shortly, I'll share some pictures when I can. Guess is at least 6 weeks till then as there are other things wrapped up in it.

Project idea still remains the same, I'm looking for a daily driver 4x4 diesel. Right now I'm using a motorcycle as a daily driver because they call 50 degrees with a chance of rain winter around here. Bought a Bronco that I'll probably need to sell as I won't have enough room to enjoy everything (I was expecting a need for it and since I can finally get the '56 out here I no longer need it.)

I will probably still end up buying several needed drive train parts before diving too deep into it, I recon I'll be changing neighborhoods in late summer so I need it to remain somewhat movable. But much that can be done in the mean time!

So, good to be back. Thanks to everyone dropping a line over the past few years, time sure does fly, lol.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I missed Abby

Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Well it's been ages, but it's time to return onto FTE.

So, good to be back. Thanks to everyone dropping a line over the past few years, time sure does fly, lol.
Welcome back, stranger!

I was wondering about you just the other day when I saw someone had revived one of your threads.

I've stayed a few nights at the Courtyard in Lynwood during my traveling days. Always liked to miss the morning traffic if I had to go north of town the next day.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Hey, Steve! Welcome back. Good luck on your continuing work on Abby.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
It's good to hear from you. I look forward to watching your progress.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
It`s good to hear from you Stephen, you`ve been missed.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Hey Stephen!

Your "Let's see your truck RIGHT now" thread is still a forum favorite.
Almost six years, 174 pages, over 2600 posts, and still going strong.

It's time you visited there again. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...right-now.html

Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Welcome back. Looking forward to more progress posts.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks for the welcome back guys, good to be back.

Can't believe this project has been on hold for so long, I'll be sure to post pictures when I have them.

Man that topic is still going strong after six years? Nice... lol. I'll be sure to put a new picture in there once my truck is out of Wyoming.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Stephen,
Good to see you back! I thought you might end up down toward Austin - though I do like Washington - less heat!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my favorite projects is back, awesome!

Abby is one of the reasons I've expanded my search from just looking for F100, expanding to F600's.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks

Yeah, Austin was the plan but that didn't work out. Still really like to visit it someday. Just love the mountains and forests too much. I can ride year round here and some of the roads are the most enjoyable one can have on a motorcycle.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Alright, it's time for some forward motion on this build.

Finally all set up to get it out here the first week of April, at long last. Pictures to come.

Having been out of it for a bit I decided to start researching somethings out again. One thing I've never been able to really set on is what engine to go with in this truck. I've probably looked at a dozen choices in depth. So in case it helps someone else:

7.3 Powerstroke (99-03) This is a good contender to me, V8, loads of power, diesel fun. Downsides are cost and diesels require a few more steps to properly maintain. It's not bad when you're working it, but when you're using it for a daily driver and not hauling trailers I feel they would add up to be annoying and make me less likely to take the truck out.

5.9 Cummins (12v) This was on the top of my list for a long time. Simple, reliable, great mpg. In the end though I think the vibration and noise might take the fun of it out for me. Keep in mind this truck is a daily driver, not a work horse (I'll work it, just not looking to move 10,000#s all the time)

6.9 IDI While a good engine and less expensive than a Powerstroke, if I'm going to put in the work for a diesel might as well put in a Powerstroke.

Diesels do have a cool factor, but for daily driving I'm thinking they might not be the best choice. Proper maintenance is important to make them last as long as they can. Newer ones seem to not be built the same and have more problems due to emissions and more computer stuff (I'm no expert, just repeating somethings I've read). I'm also a bit of a speed junky, though I get it out on a motorcycle I also can't stand slow cars/trucks. Doesn't have to be a monster, just want enough power to not putz.

So looking at gas engines.

5.4 Triton - Good engine but is known to have a few major problems for some.
6.2 - Bigger engine, more power. Problem is cost and needing to add a lot more electronics. I like to work on things myself, no computers are easier.

351w - Had a bronco with an High Output version in it. Decent engine. However if I'm going to deal with the mpg of a 351 I might as well use a 460.

460 - Inexpensive, gobs of power, horrible mpg. Probably half of what I would see with a Powerstroke. Of course I could get a built one for about $800 vs $3000+, and that buys a lot of fuel, like 1,100 gallons.

272 - What's in the truck now. Looking into build costs, Hp is probably around 173 and torque like 258 from what I can come across with 50s measurements. To put that into context a built 460 at that $800 puts out 500hp. But the Y-block has a very cool factor to it, I'm not sure what build costs would be, still researching that out, but I think if I can hit the 300hp/350torque mark for under $1500 it would be worth it. Nothing sounds like a Y-block, and mine only has 15,000 miles on it. Course it leaks from sitting but that's besides the point, lol.

From what I'm coming across the y-blocks can be extremely reliable, and now that I'm no longer in the middle of no where finding parts isn't as difficult. I've seen one make over 700hp, but you know that wasn't cheap. It might be easier to buy a second one and build that up verse taking the one I have out and building it, but we will see. Mpg wise I guess I'd be happy at 15 with it. Power and mpg would be easier with the Powerstroke, but not getting it on the road. And lets not forget the cost of swapping everything over to a diesel (engine, transmission, exhaust, radiator, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel gauge, mounts, modifications to fit it, ect)

I had also debated a second frame to work on since mine has a twist in it and it might be cheaper to buy a second one than to pay to have that twist removed (pretty sure it hit a big rock when it had the 10,000#s in the back when it was a mining truck). Guess we will see. I'd need to find out things with the title if I do that and it might just be a hassle.

So, that's where I am with all of this. Build is still meant to be a daily driver, not something I want to turn into a show truck. Something I want to look nice but not so built up I never use it, where is the fun in that? I think the Y-block could make for a really cool factor but in the end I think it comes down to how expensive that cool factor is, if it costs twice what a Powerstroke would to less then it's harder to justify. Course if it costs a couple grand... well it would be cool.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:32 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Great to see you back at it Steven. I was just working in Bothell last week. Hope all goes well with the haul-back of Abbey and keep 'er between the ditches and we'll see you when you get back.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks, it's good to be back.

One thing I still need to do here is find some vintage builder friends. No one I know builds anything old. Need to find a car show or something.

Looks like I might be going the Y-block route. Still want to give it a little thought as to get it where I want it I could buy a 7.3 Powerstroke, but for whatever reason I'm stuck on wanting to keep that Y-block all of a sudden.

Wish I could find my old notes. Can't seem to find the information on the transmission I have anymore. It's a 5 speed, I think it's the direct version, not the overdrive. I'd like to figure something out with an overdrive for better MPG / speed on the freeway. Still need to figure out a transfer case too...

Ah nothing like making it more complicated than it needs to be, but that's the price of going the 'cool' route.

Quick Reply: 1956 F600 build thread "Abby"