Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Seized in Place

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM
geoffunkel
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Distributor Seized in Place

So I went to check my ignition timing on my truck today. 1989 F-250 with 460 and ZF 5 speed manual. Engine was warmed up and spout connector removed, Timing was reading about 9 degrees. Seems a little low to me. Not sure what the stock setting for the '89 is, but the stock setting on my '73 460 is 12 degrees, and I currently have it set to 14 without any problems. I'd like to up the timing on the truck to get a little more power and economy, especially since I have ignition upgrades: MSD cap, rotor, coil, and wires installed.

Problem is, the distributor is totally seized in place! I completely removed the hold down bolt and clamp and it still won't budge OR come up and out of the engine. I tried liberal amounts of PB blaster, wapping it pretty hard with a sledgehammer, prying it upwards, etc. and it still won't budge! I have it soaking overnight with more PB blaster, but I'm not too confident it will come out. Any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 AM
2007F150FX4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 87 F250 460 has the same issue.

It's not running right now due to multiple fuel pump failures. But, when I had it running I was tinkering with the carb and decided to check the timing. It was set correctly but I wanted to bump it up a degree or 2. I had to bend and weld a couple of wrenches together just to get some leverage on the hold down bolt. The hold down bolt was actually finger tight. I tried with all I had to turn the distributor by hand, but it wouldnt budge. I soaked it for a week with WD40, PB Blaster ect. I then put a strap wrench on it and still nothing.

Here is the strap wrench I used:

I hope somebody here has some advise on how to help

Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't there a spot you can put a big wrench on it? You could try heating the base with a propane torch. Big channel locks or a pipe wrench may work also.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Twistedwrench
Senior User
Plan on almost destroying the distributor . I had to wedge mine out . I stacked cold chisels on the intake and in between the distributor and slammed in another chisel . The dizzy popped out but took some work . The new dizzy I applied a ton of antiseize to it ... Applying heat also helps too .

Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
mrplumber
New User
I had the exact same problem with my '88 F-250 460. I had an MSD distributor that just wouldn't move no matter what I did. I had finally almost given up when I decided to try one more thing. I removed the hold down bolt and let the truck sit about three days and continued to spray Liquid Wrench on it; morning, noon, and night. On the fourth day, I went out with a pair of channel locks and prepared to give it hell when I gave it the slightest of turns and it broke free. I was able to turn it by hand from there. I hear PB Blaster is even better, you may try that, it may help and may prevent you from destroying your distributor.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
geoffunkel
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've applied PB blaster a few times and will continue to apply several times a day and let it soak for a few days. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,173 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffunkel
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've applied PB blaster a few times and will continue to apply several times a day and let it soak for a few days. Will let you all know how it turns out.
Add a few minutes of heat to that recipe.........

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock is 10* advance. Many people run 12* without issue.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
jumbofordman
Senior User
The distributor on my 88 F-250 with a 351W has similarly frozen in place, the distributor had a hex section for you put use a large (it's like 32mm or so) wrench on it. Once I did this I was able to free mine up enough to where it would finally pull out. Once I had it out I cleaned the corrosion between the aluminum distributor and the iron block, now I can easily spin mine by hand once the hold down bolt is loose.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 AM
geoffunkel
Mountain Pass
Well my distributor is still stuck. I've been applying a pretty heavy dose of PB blaster 3-4 times a day for the last four days. I've tried a rubber strap wrench, and also a pretty big crescent wrench, but can't get a decent grip on it with either. I don't have a box end wrench even close to that big. I've tried banging on it pretty hard with a sledgehammer and pickle fork. That thing is just not coming out! I don't have a torch to heat it up, but I drove the truck and got it up to operating temperature to get it nice and hot, but still no luck. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Go to walmart or home depot and buy a propane torch. The one with the yellow tank gets a little hotter than the blue.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use Kano-Kroil on it instead of PB. Its on Amazon.com. PB isn't up to task on this kind of job. You've got dissimilar metal corrosion/bonding going on and it is very difficult to break. KK has NEVER failed me.
Roger

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger T. Pipe
Use Kano-Kroil on it. KK has NEVER failed me.
Roger

I want to second and third that. Kroil is some awesome stuff. And they have a special offer going on right now too; Google Deal

Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
leinieman
New User
I searched and found one that includes shipping. MSN Deal

Leinieman

Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
redmondjp
Tuned
I had the exact same problem. Do as stated above. I tried a slide hammer too, but was really afraid that I was going to break the casting so I gave up on that idea.

I used a large adjustable wrench on the hex portion of the casting, along with a 2lb. hammer, rapping on the wrench handle back and forth. It took a week of doing this, after repeated applications of the Kroil, and one day it finally came loose.

My truck was in running condition throughout the process, and I really didn't want to break the distributor housing.

Quick Reply: Distributor Seized in Place