6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

This is prolly a 1 page thread at most

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,002 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Roy it looks like you already decided during the course of my catching up with the conversation, but you definitely don't want the 4.30! I haven't seen much data on the 15s, but pre-15 duallies seem to be getting 1 to 1.5 mpg better than me towing comparable trailers. I think the 3.73 puts the 6th gear rpm in a better spot for 65 mph towing than the 3.55 does. I really thought the dually would do worse than my SRW but everybody seems to report the opposite. Of course you will sacrifice a little bit when you are not towing, but that is the price you pay to run with the big dogs!
Thank You Matt .............

The input is very helpful. All you folks have been feeding me your insite and experience....Thank You!!

The decision has been made........
Tomorrow at 1100 we have an appointment with "Jim Taylor's Motors" in Ft Benton Montana. 3.73 Limited slip differential. DRW....Long Bed....King Ranch....Dual Alternators....Moon Roof.....Heavy front end....skid plates.....Hitch Prep pkg....Gooseneck pkg.....Tailgate step.....NO Chrome pkg.....NO 5th wheel hitch.

Green Gem / Carabo Paint.

I'll buy the Puck 5th wheel hitch from B&W.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Oops.......Gotta go for 50 minutes. Pickup kid time.......

Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6.0 heads can be done with the cab on as long as it doesn't have studs. I'm not saying it is easy, but it can happen. Everybody has their own procedure for cab removal. I'm probably in the 4+ hour range since I am not tech nor do I work on them frequently. I have seen a master tech put the cab in the air in just under 1 hour. It took him about 1.5 hours to put it back in place. That is a guy that was making about $120k per year at a dealership a few years back. I also saw the same guy remove a 4wd dually transmission and R&R a rear engine cover on a 6.0 in about 1.5 hrs. 1 hr and 45 minutes after he started, I was riding shotgun on the test drive! Some people are just amazing with tools.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good lord, it's amazing the simple things I have issues doing now. Just trying to install these damn Rugged Liner wheel well liners about killed me. My left shoulder just stopped working a few times, and all while feeling like I was bench pressing a Peterbilt. My arms look like I'm a cutter and I attempted suicide multiple times over, and I can barely lift a cup of water to rehydrate myself. Unreal. I'm going to be screwed later in life. I'm only 39 now.

The Rugged Liner's fit well, especially after letting them soften in the sun a bit, but the KR package got in the way of the install. The KR has a wheel well lip screwed on in multiple areas where there are suppose to be push pins. I was suppose to have somewhere around 8 pushpins a side, but have just a few on each side instead. The suckers are in there tight though, 'F' it!!!!

Was it worth saving a few bucks instead of having Ford do it from the start....NO. I don't care if Ford's are cheaper (allegedly) or not.

Anyways, shower time. I look like I have been rolling around in a pile of dirt with razor blades in it.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:43 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy

The input is very helpful. All you folks have been feeding me your insite and experience....Thank You!!

Tomorrow at 1100 we have an appointment with "Jim Taylor's Motors" in Ft Benton Montana. 3.73 Limited slip differential. DRW....Long Bed....King Ranch....Dual Alternators....Moon Roof.....Heavy front end....skid plates.....Hitch Prep pkg....Gooseneck pkg.....Tailgate step.....NO Chrome pkg.....NO 5th wheel hitch.

Roy, I didn't see if it was a 4x4, but with the skid plates I am assuming it is. Correct?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Roy, early congrats on the order.

After shower, arm looks worse. Going to have to wear long sleeves in public or someone may have me admitted! ROR.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM
huh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Been reading this 1 page post for the past few days. Started from the beginning and here I am now at the end (page 667). I have really enjoyed the stories, jokes, good times and bad from all of you.

I am in the early stages of buying my first Ford, not to mention my first diesel. I have, up to this point, always been a Toyota person as that is just what our family always bought with a few exceptions. My Dad had a 83ish Ford Mustang that had nothing but problems, hence no more Fords after that. He then had a 98-99 Dodge Dakota, nothing but problems there too. Well, fast forward a lot of years and I am still with Toyotas.

I currently have a 2013 Tacoma that is okay, but not really what I want anymore. It is a 4WD TRD Sport package with all the bells & whistles, but lacks in a lot of things, power, bed length (I made a poor decision with the short bed). It can tow a small trailer fine, but not much more (in my opinion).

My fun vehicle is a 1979 Toyota (ROR) Land Cruiser with a Vortec 350/NV4500, Dana 60, ARBs, etc., etc. My Tacoma cannot haul this, so hence the need for a full size truck.
My wife comes from a Ford family, so she is supportive of this. It won't be used for a full time tow vehicle, only when we go wheeling, or camping or such. My question is with the gearing. Stock is 3.31 in the axles, should I opt for the 3.55? This will also become my daily driver for the most part sharing duties with my Subaru STi. Which gearing would be best in your guys' opinion and why? I would like to get the best possible fuel mileage within reason.

We are looking to order in the next week or two so that we can get the process started.
2015 King Ranch F250 Long Bed, Diesel, etc. I've been in contact with dealers in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Texas. Right now, we are leaning towards Doherty Ford in Portland. They quoted the lowest price so far.

I am looking forward to the day I get my truck and can post some of the tidbits that life throws at you.

Hope everyone had a great MOANDAY 8-)

Jon

Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
Good afternoon truckers...

Roy - Good luck on your negotiations...I'll see if I can find you another one...

Joke of the day......

The teacher asked the class to use the word 'fascinate' in a sentence. Molly put up her hand and said, 'My family went to my granddad's farm, and we all saw his pet sheep. It was fascinating.' The teacher said, 'That was good, but I wanted you to use the word 'fascinate, not fascinating'. Sally raised her hand. She said, 'My family went to see Rock City and I was fascinated.' The teacher said, 'Well, that was good Sally, but I wanted you to use the word 'fascinate.' Little Johnny raised his hand. The teacher hesitated because she had been burned by Little Johnny before. She finally decided there was no way he could damage the word 'fascinate', so she called on him. Johnny said, 'My aunt Gina has a sweater with ten buttons, but her **** are so big she can only fasten eight.' The teacher sat down and cried.

Y'all be safe out there....

Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by golfmedik
Roy, I didn't see if it was a 4x4, but with the skid plates I am assuming it is. Correct?
Oops........Yes 4x4

Old 09-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you made your decision. I know you will enjoy the new ride and one that is more than rated to handle the weight you are pulling.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
4df150
Elder User
Welcome to the "One pagers" Jon. I have the 3.55 gears and use as a DD. Planning on a 5ver after the first of the year. The 3.31 will get you a little better mpg. But the 6.7 has sooooo much power & torque that you probably won't know the difference just towing the LC...

Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Welcome Jon. I love the 3:55 EL. You will love the new KR, I know I do.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM
4df150
Elder User

I just pick one up last month - used 1 time for $550.00. The guy traded his F-250 with 5th wheel prep for a F-350 without 5th wheel prep.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 4df150
I just pick one up last month - used 1 time for $550.00. The guy traded his F-250 with 5th wheel prep for a F-350 without 5th wheel prep.
Really.........

Can you find me one.........

Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM
4df150
Elder User
Really.........

Can you find me one.........

I'll keep my eyes open....

Quick Reply: This is prolly a 1 page thread at most